Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 30, 2024, 12:27:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did you lose control of yourself in the r/s?  (Read 780 times)
rosannadanna

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 01:52:44 PM »

This is an interesting question and one that I found helpful to ask myself in doing my own self-exploration.  During times of conflict I had two reactions:  I would either engage and it would be a recreation of my parents constant dramatic fighting or if I was feeling vulnerable and interrogated (my ex was a master), I would dissociate; basically just shut down.  I think that response was me experiencing the conflict from the point-of-view of me as a little girl, feeling trapped and powerless in a really yucky situation.

Good stuff to ponder... .
SickofMe

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 03:14:05 PM »

Excerpt
Cllassic. Gaslighting.

That, is abuse.

To make YOU think / believe this is your fault.

To make YOU think / believe YOU did something wrong.

www.narcissisticbehavior.net/the-effects-of-gaslighting-in-narcissistic-victim-syndrome/

See if any of this article look familiar... .

I don't think this r/s actually took a turn into "abusive" until the very, very end.  It was a cruel ending, but couldn't that just be poor relationship skills?   Unhealthy, yes, but we just didn't have much conflict (mostly bc I'm too wimpy).

Is it possible for there to be "gaslighting" going on if neither party is aware of it?  The only thing I can really point at is that his words of undying love and devotion didn't even come close to matching his actions, but obviously I *allowed* all that to happen bc I'm so good a second-guessing myself and making excuses.  Not a talent I want to continue developing.

Is that even possible?  For a r/s to be abusive with little to no conflict?

I wish I'd confronted him much earlier--there was plenty of "stuff" to say but I didn't want to take a chance.  Then I'd have known sooner what was the truth vs. lies and wouldn't have wasted much time.

All of this makes me feel really sad.

Pingo

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 04:00:13 PM »

I don't think this r/s actually took a turn into "abusive" until the very, very end.  It was a cruel ending, but couldn't that just be poor relationship skills?   Unhealthy, yes, but we just didn't have much conflict (mostly bc I'm too wimpy).

Is it possible for there to be "gaslighting" going on if neither party is aware of it?  The only thing I can really point at is that his words of undying love and devotion didn't even come close to matching his actions, but obviously I *allowed* all that to happen bc I'm so good a second-guessing myself and making excuses.  Not a talent I want to continue developing.

Depends on how capitulating you were.  You sound a lot like me.  I avoided conflict, especially in the beginning.  I don't think it was a conscious thing.  I just knew I tried really hard to make him happy and eventually just got exhausted and resentful. We didn't have a lot of big conflicts (outward fights).  I can count on one hand how many times we yelled at each other in 4 yrs.  The abuse was covert and insidious.  I think it would have been easier to deal with if he did yell more or even if he had been physically abusive.  Maybe I wouldn't have been so confused about it.  Our r/s was full of emotional blackmail.  I ended up walking on eggshells for most of it.  I had a constant knot in my stomach.  It was most definitely abuse.
Deeno02

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 04:22:06 PM »

Depends on how capitulating you were.  You sound a lot like me.  I avoided conflict, especially in the beginning.  I don't think it was a conscious thing.  I just knew I tried really hard to make him happy and eventually just got exhausted and resentful. We didn't have a lot of big conflicts (outward fights).  I can count on one hand how many times we yelled at each other in 4 yrs.  The abuse was covert and insidious.  I think it would have been easier to deal with if he did yell more or even if he had been physically abusive.  Maybe I wouldn't have been so confused about it.  Our r/s was full of emotional blackmail.  I ended up walking on eggshells for most of it.  I had a constant knot in my stomach.  It was most definitely abuse.

from a guys perspective,  same here. I was agressive at work, but when i got around her, i walked on egg shells,  avoided any fights, and when we had a dispute, i either watered down by response, tucked my penis between my legs and said nothing and quickly apologized,  or tried humor to lessen the blow. I took responsibility for it all. God, what a fool i was.
vortex of confusion

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 04:24:38 PM »

Yes, it is very possible for gaslighting to occur without either party being aware of it. It took me a while to realize that my husband was gaslighting me. When I pointed it out, he didn't even realize that what he was doing was gaslighting. It happens without awareness in situations where I would say, "I feel [fill in the blank]" and then he would question my feelings and put me in a position to where I felt like I had to explain my feelings and justify them. As I would explain and justify those things, I would end up talking myself out of my feelings. A lot of my second guessing myself was a direct result of his continual questioning of me and him making me question my own reality. He can normalize things that are NOT normal. Me going along with those things was a direct result of the gaslighting and the little bitty things that happened over time.

Excerpt

Yes, yes, yes! It is very possible. It is the little bitty things that they do to undermine your confidence. It is all of the times that they invalidate you and your thoughts and your feelings. Think about how an abused child acts. Children that are abused do not often challenge their parents. They slip into a role and do whatever it takes to keep the peace.
SickofMe

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2014, 05:14:40 PM »

Excerpt
Our r/s was full of emotional blackmail.  I ended up walking on eggshells for most of it.  I had a constant knot in my stomach.  It was most definitely abuse.

I am so familiar with that knot.  It only happened in my r/s a few times, but I'm almost certain that's bc we didn't spend extended periods of time together until JUST before we split up.  We hadn't even spent an entire weekend together for the 2.5 years we were dating, right up until the three weekends before it all blew into smithereens!  The first two of those weekends were actually pretty nice.  I felt like a "normal" couple, at last, doing things adults do together (traveling and taking care of kids together).  There were a couple of moments where I thought he acted like a jerk, but nothing outrageous... .more "to be expected, we are spending a lot of time with kids together."

The third weekend was just awful.  It's like Mr. Hyde came out.  He didn't rage or anything, just treated me and my kids like we were not even there, really, while he catered to his own kids at everyone else's expense (not just me and mine, we were with a very large group of people) and acted like a general grouch.  I was shocked and embarrassed, to tell the truth.  It became clear to me that he truly expected EVERYONE, not just me, to put his needs (and his children's wants, not needs) before the "good of the whole."  This surprised the crud out of me because he truly was a polite, affectionate, and considerate guy, usually.  I didn't say anything, though, because I thought:  we're all getting tired and on each other's nerves and it's a huge adjustment.  I began to feel resentful though, AND I noticed that he was really, really self-centered... .he didn't consult me on anything and allowed his kids to determine the agenda the whole time, without asking how I felt about anything, or what I wanted to do.  Still... .I thought, he doesn't really know what he's doing, this is new for all of us.

Cut to the following week.  We were all exhausted from traveling and during this time I discovered that he was doing something he'd agreed not to do... .related to his r/s with his ex-wife.  I asked him for an explanation, and he gave me crap, sarcastic comments, pretended not to know what I was talking about, minimized, etc.  I let it rest for awhile and then brought it up again the next day.

I tried SO HARD to communicate appropriately, I rehearsed it.  I said, "I don't feel safe in this relationship if you aren't honest with me, and if my feelings don't matter to you enough to make a change.  Since you say that this is not a big deal to you, but it is to me, I feel like you should be willing to change it.  Especially bc I never fuss at you about anything, and you know I don't make demands."

At that point he said:

• You are being dramatic

• You are making a mountain out of a molehill

• This is stupid

• I don't have to ask your permission to do what I want

• I refuse to partake in this

I tried to articulate that I wasn't making a demand, except that he TELL ME THE TRUTH so I could decide for myself if I wanted to accept his terms, but he kept pretending like the argument was about one thing (what he was doing) and not the other (his lying/misleading me), when it was actually about both things!

That's all she wrote, folks.  He refused to talk to me for a week or more (claiming exhaustion, but still yukking it up on FB with all his "friends" and when he finally spoke to me he said, "you were right, I don't hold your feelings in high enough regard, I'm done."

I'd say there's more but there really isn't much more, he refused to talk with me, didn't say one nice word while breaking up, didn't wish me well, didn't say he was sorry (and he should have been, he claimed I was the big love of his life).

Then right when I started coming down from totally reeling, he started harassing me via prank phone calls to my cell in the middle of the night, phony emails, and fake calls to my office, all meant to make me anxious, I'm sure (bc I had a mentally ill stalker last year that he knew about--but this wasn't that guy, he doesn't have my contact info).

Last week, I contacted him, and he told me that he'd heard about me dating someone else and it "made him sick."  No coincidence, the timeframe where he heard about it was when the harassment started.

I'm not sure why I just retold that story.  I still feel very uncertain about the nature of the beast, and am working on understanding.

SickofMe

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2014, 05:18:40 PM »

Excerpt
He can normalize things that are NOT normal.

My x had me believing that his weird relationship with his ex is normal, when it is 100% decidedly not normal.  I could give many examples, but one especially poignant one is that he went through her nightstand and stole painkillers, and told me about it!

Another is that he lends her his car and they enter each other's homes freely, when nobody's home, even when it has nothing to do with the kids.  That, and his mother pays his ex-wife's child support, because it's too high (based on a previous income) so that the ex-wife doesn't have to work full-time, even though they share 50/50 custody of the kids and have the same earning capacity.  Actually, his mother supports both households, neither of them works full-time.  And his mother is quite elderly and has no idea that she is being manipulated.
itgirl

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: 4 years living together

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2014, 11:45:09 PM »

Yes. I never get angry, i never fight with anyone. But she got the worst out of me. In the end i didn't even want to voice my opinion anymore, because it would make her annoyed anyway. That's so not me!

Same. I would clam up or water down my response. Sometimes I would try humor. Most times, I tucked my johnson between my legs and apologized.

Dude this just made my day! Thanks for the laugh

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest