Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 06:22:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coping in a tornado  (Read 377 times)
HUSBANDofPBDX
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: November 19, 2014, 04:53:59 PM »

Hello,

I married a woman who at the time didn't know she had BPD but now that I know about it and have lived with her through the last 2.5 years I have had ample time to see all the signs. Looking back now I can see she was like this also in the beginning but she did a good job hiding it. I feel betrayed because I was lead to believe things and she was one way when it turns out she has a ton of mental health issues. It's got to the point no that she is getting help by the damage in some ways has been done. I feel beat down and burnt out and depressed. When I try to talk to her about how I feel she twists it around to be about how she feels - which is angry, me talking about myself is so selfish: look what she has to go through! It's always the same. The therapy helps her but it's not helping our relationship. And some days I don't see why I should carry on. I take care of her and her needs. There is no one here to take care of me or mine. I've never been treated so badly by anyone my whole life. Then when it goes bad and I say I want to leave it's 'go ahead' or 'I'll leave before you can'. I've put up with so much and while I want to help her and I do I also feel like I'm getting the short end of the stick.

Plus out sex life doesn't exist. I'm told I'm selfish to want that too.

Anyway, I'm sure this is common to this group.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

frizz

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 08:59:37 PM »

You'll find a lot of support here. Living with a BPD partner can feel extremely lonely, but the folks here are just wonderful. I'm pretty new to the site, too. It's a huge relief to just know that we aren't alone.

Excerpt
the damage in some ways has been done. I feel beat down and burnt out and depressed. When I try to talk to her about how I feel she twists it around to be about how she feels - which is angry

I know exactly what you're talking about. Anybody would be exhausted dealing with what you've dealt with, and knowing she's getting help for herself makes no difference in the things that she's done in the past. Things have recently been better in my own relationship, and I feel guilty for hanging onto all the abuse that has happened in the past. I carry a lot of baggage that my SO doesn't even comprehend, and it leaves me pretty bitter sometimes. I certainly can't talk to her about it because she's incapable of understanding how her behavior hurts other people, and she gets angry and instantly defensive. It's just the way she is.

I'm seeing a counselor, myself. I resisted for a long time (I shouldn't have to see a counselor just to deal with a relationship!), but it's part of my radical acceptance practice. Fact is, I feel just like you do: beat down, burnt out, and depressed. And I have nobody to talk to. Seeing a counselor to help manage my own emotions seems like a good step in the right direction toward taking care of myself.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest