Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 11:09:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books most popular with members
Stop Caretaking the
Borderline or the Narcassist
Stop Walking
on Eggshells
Journey from
Abandonment to Healing
The Search for Real Self
Unmasking Personality Disorders

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: question about projection  (Read 430 times)
hattrick

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: December 08, 2014, 10:43:04 PM »

When my ex broke up with me she cited all sorts of ridiculous reasons. I'm wondering if the things she accused me of are things she projected onto me.

She told me:

I feel like you don't like my children. (I love her children and she's even told co-workers that one of the reasons she loved me was because I loved her kids). Could it be that sometimes she doesn't like her kids.

I feel like you don't want me to spend time with my mom. ( I've never had a problem with her "mom time". I've even volunteered to take her to see her mom and often suggested she call her mom at times). Could it be that she is tired of driving all the way to see her mom all the time? Her mom lives about an hour and a half away.

I feel like you don't like my tattoos. (She had tats when we started going out and she got more since. 3 of them I took her to get and 2 of them she got for us as a couple. I've often commented on my favorite one she has). Could it be that she regrets some of them?

When we go out I feel like sometimes you judge me when I have a drink. (I don't drink but have never had a problem with her having one. I buy them for her). Could it be that she feels shame when she drinks?

There are more but I'm just thinking all the problems she cited could be things she doesn't like about herself projected onto me. These were all complaints I had never heard till the night of our breakup.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 11:08:32 PM »

I think you're onto something picking up on shame. Projection is an unhealthy coping mechanism used to deal with feelings one can't confront. Shame is at the core of the disorder.

When we had more contact, my Ex would still engage in it. X happened, "I feel like we're bad parents!" She was including me in how she felt, and was invalidating me by telling me his to feel. "I'll take the kids. I know they can be overwhelming. You probably need a break."

She was telling me how she felt, and trying to include me in her feelngs in order to soothe herself. In both cases, no, btw. We think differently.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Wishfulgirl

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 11:20:08 AM »

I know there has been plenty of projection in my relationship. But when your partner is the person who knows you better than anyone, at the moment something cutting is said, it is very difficult not to be upset. We both have weight issues. I am overweight and have several medical issues that contribute to that... .no thyroid, meds for diabetes, etc. He is a compulsive overeater and binges on fast food. Never exercises. I ballroom dance, go to the gym and walk. The main reason he is leaving me is because I am fat and he feels he eats too much when he is around me, despite the fact that I only cook healthy foods for him. He loves carbs but not sweets. He refuses to eat a salad when I make it. I eat very small portions and never finish anything. It still stings. I have to work hard to remember that he is projecting.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest