Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 10:40:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite ways to be invalidated.  (Read 577 times)
Caredverymuch

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2014, 09:02:05 PM »

One thing my uBPDh said in an email the other day was that he has "paid for my life" for a long time. ?

When we got married about a hundred years ago he had custody of his at-that-time 6 year old daughter, so I became Instant Mom. I loved it, even though I had no idea what I was doing. I took care of the house and his daughter, and later we had another daughter and I stayed home with her. I did foster care--again at home, and we adopted our first foster child who came from a crack mom and had some big learning issues and hyperactivity issues. I did all this and cooked and cleaned etc. and started taking care of the bills and the taxes. All this time my h would say that it was our agreement that I never needed to work outside the home.

And now it's as simple as he was paying for my life, as if I contributed nothing.

Can you tell his statement really got to me? He has made the "you're happy to use me as a paycheck" and the "you don't do anything all day" sorts of statements, but for some reason his comment about "paying for my life" after raising 4 children, fostering more, etc. etc. really gets me.

What's your "favorite" way you've been invalidated by your BPD partner?

Excerpt
To validate someone's feelings is first to accept someone's feelings - and then to understand them - and finally to nurture them. To validate is to acknowledge and accept a person. Invalidation, on the other hand, is to reject, ignore, or judge.

I heard those very same statements Elpis from my uBPDh of 25 yrs after raising 4 children and doing all those same wonderful things I know you did. I loved being an at home mom and not only did I raise my children very well and nearly entirely "alone", I took care of every aspect of the household and beyond.  You see, my spouse "worked" and I "did not."  And he was tired. I could never be tired.  His "job" as he said was to " bring home the money that I got to spend." He did nothing really beyond that except expecting immense praise for " working" and any little thing he might do there after, such as mowing the lawn or shoveling snow,  which became some sort of hosanna event. 

I took on all, not bc I wanted to, but bc he wouldn't w. out raging/victimization. At a certain point in my mind, I just said " it has to get done, I can do it all with a smile and my children deserve a peaceful loving home."

I have NEVER been happier than NOT living this way. Once I "quit" being controlled and started to bcome my own person while putting up boundaries it was far too much for him. So he said he wanted to leave which was a huge blessing in disguise.  Of course his parting gift was to involve our children in adult matters and play me as the bad one ruining a family. My kids still feel their dad was wronged, he did a good job with that.

I am thankful every day that I FINALLY got out of that toxic situation.  I pay the price as my kids, who I devoted my life to in silence of their father's emotional abuse, blame me for much. You see, he's long gone even though he lives nearby which is really the same as he was when he lived in the home, and they have no one else to blame, because it's still all about him.  He still helps with nothing. Yet, somehow, it's all my fault that I ruined the family.

I'll take that all over living with him and being devalued so detrimentally. 

So many lessons I have learned. SUCH personal inventory.

I'm still happier and seeing the good in life.  As I always had.  Sorry, you can't take that away from me Smiling (click to insert in post)

Hope0807

Relationship status: Divorcing & Living Apart

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2014, 09:12:27 PM »

Months earlier:  ex begs me not to leave him and says he can't be without me.  Months later:  my whole world is shattering, chaos…find him in our bed in the middle of the day with a woman…he tells me…

"You ruined my lay"

One sentence, 7 years later…HEMORRAGHED a severe personality disorder. 
Elpis

Relationship status: married 30+ years

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2014, 01:02:47 AM »

SOO much SOO wrong! And things I relate to far too well!

i'm beginning to think I need to be committed to a mental facility for putting up with this kind of sh!te for so long!

SplitBlack, you quoted this:
Excerpt
You give our dog more attention than you do me !

Well in MY experience the doggies gave me much more support than my uBPDh! Far more deserving of our attention, right?

This is the stuff we need to remind ourselves of when we start thinking "well maybe it wasn't so bad... ."
antelope

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2014, 03:54:33 AM »

when you look back and take an inventory at all of these invalidating comments, circumstances, and actions, you realize they ALL have 1 thing in common:

they are his/her projections

it's a good 'peek' into their inner thinking... .it's a good reminder that these people are chronically miserable
Moselle

Relationship status: Divorced

Every day is a gift. Live it fully

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2014, 04:17:29 AM »

Indeed antelope,

It follows that we should be giving these invalidations the disrespect they deserve. They are as you say "the inner thinking of the chronically miserable", and absolutely nothing to do with us.

Thanks for the reminder.

Caredverymuch

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2014, 07:47:37 AM »

Indeed antelope,

It follows that we should be giving these invalidations the disrespect they deserve. They are as you say "the inner thinking of the chronically miserable", and absolutely nothing to do with us.

Thanks for the reminder.

Having lived it for 25 yrs I can confirm that statement is absolutely truth.  Nothing, and I mean nothing, could bring a sense of lasting happiness to my ex.  Always whoa is me and a blamer.  Always.  Unfortunately the longer you stay in r/s like that, to keep your family structure while trying to keep the peace- walking on eggshells- you, yourself miss out on so much you as a person deserve.  At least thats my experience. I believe my ex was uNPD but having the subsequent waif BPD r/s that followed, its all one big disordered person that simply cannot find happiness while bringing so many down w them.
downwhim

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2014, 11:33:14 AM »

I have never seen my ex be truly happy. I mean goofy, crazy, silly happy. He has that inner turmoil that keeps him from really enjoying life. I use to be positive before I met him yet it seemed to disappear as the raging, fighting, come here/go away eliminated joy.
Elpis

Relationship status: married 30+ years

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2014, 11:37:28 AM »

I only became able to recognize invalidation within the last year really. Before that I knew it was unkind and hurtful, but after I moved out I started to see my uBPDh say something mean and i'd see the word over his head INVALIDATION/ ONE-UP. And I could see that the less control he had of me, the higher ratio of unkind words there were in any one conversation.

A lot of it has been projection--that I was able to start seeing while I was still at home and he was becoming more and more highly dysregulated. It's a weird way to see my life.

And yes, "the inner thinking of the chronically miserable" (Perfect, antelope!) is the perfect phrase to describe my h's words. I still remember the moment when I had the realization of the bigger picture. I was always berating myself "you're so stupid!" and that sort of fun stuff. Then one day my brain finished the sentence: "i'm so stupid--because I can't make him happy!" And I had to stop and think "oh wow. How many years have I been thinking I could make him happy?"

Caredverymuch
, you said

Excerpt
Unfortunately the longer you stay in r/s like that, to keep your family structure while trying to keep the peace- walking on eggshells- you, yourself miss out on so much you as a person deserve.

That's bad enough, but I can see where I allowed my children to come to the belief that abuse is 'normal' in some way. I kept trying to normalize the dysfunction! "Grumpy dad" that sort of thing. But that became impossible the more mean he got to me.

Thank you so much EVERYBODY who has participated in this topic! It's helping me keep my thinking straight!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest