Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 11:00:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: am i over reacting?  (Read 390 times)
Eco

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: January 30, 2015, 04:19:57 PM »

I took my daughter to build a bear yesterday during my 2 hr visitation yesterday and she built a bear, she picked it out and helped make it.

the way visitation is set up she goes a whole week without seeing me so I thought it may help her if we made a bear and I recorded a message for her to put in the bear so she could her my voice telling her that I loved her.

she didn't put the bear down the whole time I had her and when I brought my daughter back to my ex she took the bear away from my daughter and gave it to me, I asked my ex if she could keep it with her and she refused. I showed her that it had a message in it and that sent my ex off saying " I don't ask you to take stuff like that"

I responded with you are welcome to send stuff like this anytime with her when she comes over to my house.

we are about to go back to court and this will be addressed with several other things including custody.

thanks for the help and any advice
eyvindr

Relationship status: NC

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 04:41:31 PM »

Hi Eco --

No, you're not overreacting. Your ex is being an ass. But the court isn't going to devote much time or energy to this incident. Stay the course. Try to let her crapola roll off your back. Focus on your r-ship with your daughter -- sounds very sweet. Put your stock in the future -- your r-ship with her is where the future is. Your ex is in the past.

"Being deceived in effect takes away your right to make accurate life choices based on truth." -- waverider

"Don't try the impossible, as you're sure to become well and truly stuck and require recovery." -- Vintage Land Rover 4X4 driving instructional video
mywifecrazy

Relationship status: Divorced

Picking myself off the canvas for the last time!

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 04:54:45 PM »

I took my daughter to build a bear yesterday during my 2 hr visitation yesterday and she built a bear, she picked it out and helped make it.

the way visitation is set up she goes a whole week without seeing me so I thought it may help her if we made a bear and I recorded a message for her to put in the bear so she could her my voice telling her that I loved her.

she didn't put the bear down the whole time I had her and when I brought my daughter back to my ex she took the bear away from my daughter and gave it to me, I asked my ex if she could keep it with her and she refused. I showed her that it had a message in it and that sent my ex off saying " I don't ask you to take stuff like that"

I responded with you are welcome to send stuff like this anytime with her when she comes over to my house.

we are about to go back to court and this will be addressed with several other things including custody.

thanks for the help and any advice

That's absolute BS! God is so hard to remain calm with this childlike response  . Absolutely no concern for the daughter and how she would be comforted being reminded of her Dad and hearing his voice in the bear.

The previous,poster is right. Don't let her childlike BPD BS change you. Keeping being a great, loving and involved Dad, your Daughter needs You! I hope things work out so you get your daughter as much as possible.

Good luck!

MWC... .Being cool (click to insert in post)

The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all. (Psalm 34:18, 19)
Eco

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 07:19:05 PM »

thanks for the support and advice it definitely helps
Ulysses

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 01:55:48 PM »

Have you talked with a therapist?  When my NPD/BPDexH and I were first separating my daughter was having difficulties.  She was very open with me about some things so I spoke with our MC, who also works extensively with children.  In my D6 (5 at the time) case, T suggested a couple of things I found helpful.

*First, a transition object that represents you to the child, that child can take with him/her.  And/or an object that is there to remind them of you, e.g. T suggested I bring in a bouquet of flowers to her classroom so that when she sees them she remembers I'm thinking of her.  I asked if it's a good idea for the kids if H did this also and he said yes.  H wasn't talking to me at this point so I don't remember if I tried to communicate it to him or not.  Actually I think he did buy little gifts for them a few times, and I didn't say anything one way or the other to them.  I figured they belonged to the kids, not me, and it was part of their relationship with their dad.

*A worry stone or stress ball.

*A special piece of my jewelry she can wear.  I wonder if a trinket that hooks onto her backpack would work in your case?  Those are often inexpensive and she could begin a collection.

*A photo of me and child that child can keep at other parent's house.  I did this and it has since been lost at ex's house. 

Recently D6 brought a painting she did at her dad's house and asked to hang it in her room with me.  I praised her work, talked with her about the fun she had painting it, how she painted it, etc.  It's hanging up and she sees it when she first wakes up. 

Maybe a therapist can help offer ideas and if it comes from someone besides you, she might listen. 

I think it's irrelevant what she does or doesn't ask you to take.  I don't think it's a game of, "you did this so I can do that" or "I don't do this so you can't do that."  I think that's how my ex sees things sometimes.  Can you  put something in your custody agreement that the child is free to transfer her belongings between homes/take her belongings to her mothers'?

Do you have the choice of daily phone contact with your daughter?  I haven't read your other posts so I'm not sure what your situation is.

What would happen if you just keep giving daughter something each time to take with her?  In other words, doing what you want to and what you think is healthy for your daughter? 
Eco

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 06:01:09 PM »

Excerpt
Have you talked with a therapist?

not yet, my ex wont allow that so I have to address that in court. my daughter is about to turn 2 so she is still pretty young. I plan on getting her in counseling.

Excerpt
*First, a transition object that represents you to the child, that child can take with him/her.  And/or an object that is there to remind them of you, e.g. T suggested I bring in a bouquet of flowers to her classroom so that when she sees them she remembers I'm thinking of her.  I asked if it's a good idea for the kids if H did this also and he said yes.  H wasn't talking to me at this point so I don't remember if I tried to communicate it to him or not.  Actually I think he did buy little gifts for them a few times, and I didn't say anything one way or the other to them.  I figured they belonged to the kids, not me, and it was part of their relationship with their dad.

my thoughts exactly that was the idea of getting her the bear.

Excerpt
*A photo of me and child that child can keep at other parent's house.  I did this and it has since been lost at ex's house

I tried that and my ex refused, she has 2 other kids with 2 different dads and allows 1 of those kids to have a picture of her dad. what message is she sending to her daughters by allowing one to have a picture of her dad but not the other ones. something im going to bring that to the attention of the judge.

Excerpt
Maybe a therapist can help offer ideas and if it comes from someone besides you, she might listen. 

hopefully she will but she never has in the past when other councilors offered advice. she is right and everyone else is wrong

Excerpt
I think it's irrelevant what she does or doesn't ask you to take.  I don't think it's a game of, "you did this so I can do that" or "I don't do this so you can't do that."  I think that's how my ex sees things sometimes.  Can you  put something in your custody agreement that the child is free to transfer her belongings between homes/take her belongings to her mothers'?

I agree its about making life easier for the kids. that's what I intend to do when we go to court.

Excerpt
Do you have the choice of daily phone contact with your daughter?

I would like that but the ex wont let me talk to her but twice a week. my last lawyer did a horrible job on the write up in the order. to many grey areas and as im sure you know with these people it has to to be black and white.

Excerpt
What would happen if you just keep giving daughter something each time to take with her?  In other words, doing what you want to and what you think is healthy for your daughter? 

more conflict but I have to keep trying for my daughter.

thanks for the advice
JRT

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 06:21:13 PM »

how HORRIBLE! I cna't help but want to go and kick her A** on your AND your daughters behalf... .that hurts only your child... .I can't believe that people behave like this! It really steams me to read about things like this.
DreamGirl
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

Do. Or do not. There is no try.

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 06:28:49 PM »

That's so tough.

It does feel pretty spiteful.

I think you handled it really well, if that helps at all. Doing the right thing can be so hard when the other person isn't keeping the gloves up.

I really like all the suggestions that Ulysses had and I think as your daughter gets older, her own independence will allow a little wiggle room as to what is "allowable" by the other parent. i.e. a six year old will bring a bear home with her even if mom doesn't want her to. I also think some of this usurping of control tends to dwindle once court matters are resolved.

I'm glad that you're working toward more time with your daughter through legal avenues.

"What I want is what I've not got, and what I need is all around me." ~Dave Matthews

momtara

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 11:53:37 PM »

I don't see why she can't have a gift.  What if you had mailed the bear to her, what would she do then?  That's just mean.  A court may or may not care depending on how it's presented.  The story above makes me sad but courts don't always have time.  Still, tell your lawyer.  You gave her a teddy bear and your ex wouldn't let her keep it.  

Someone asked about a therapist - it could be someone you see on your own first.  

In court, keep focused on what's best for the children and how these things affect the child.  

Be really specific in your agreements.  Phone calls unfettered.  You don't have to agree to just once a day, but you can say make best efforts for once a day.  That leaves a bit of wiggle room.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest