Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 05:24:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: skype first time - ground rules for toddlers?  (Read 668 times)
momtara

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2015, 08:59:15 AM »

OK - there is a new wrinkle.  I thought he was making this up, but it does say in our order that each parent has "phone or computer assisted" access to the children any time, with best efforts not after 9:30.

Therefore, it's actually in the order.  If I want to complain about how he's been acting and change it, it seems I'd have to go to court.

I never even noticed that.  It's such a burden.  Anyone have any ideas on how to respond to him now?  Guess I have to provide it.  But I am going to tell him to clarify a few things.

Gosh, I hate having to go back and forth with him.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2015, 09:10:07 AM »

"Or." You don't seem like you're violating the order to me. He has phone access.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
momtara

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2015, 09:30:17 AM »

Ha.  I never even thought of that.  You are smart!  But I don't know that that'll fly, because the 'or' can favor him too - he can choose which one just like I can... .
Rubies

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2015, 11:51:02 AM »

OK - there is a new wrinkle.  I thought he was making this up, but it does say in our order that each parent has "phone or computer assisted" access to the children any time, with best efforts not after 9:30.

Therefore, it's actually in the order.  If I want to complain about how he's been acting and change it, it seems I'd have to go to court.

I never even noticed that.  It's such a burden.  Anyone have any ideas on how to respond to him now?  Guess I have to provide it.  But I am going to tell him to clarify a few things.

Gosh, I hate having to go back and forth with him.

How does this translate to his constant contact with YOU occupying YOUR time ALL the time?  How does ANY time equal ALL the time where it interferes with YOUR life? 

If he calls or texts hand the phone to the kids to do as they will?  The relationship is theirs, not yours.

Perhaps you need to talk with your attorney and his attorney and avoid BPDxh altogether before taking it before the judge?  Frankly we're not available to anyone for  "anytime" intrusions.

Nip it in the bud, nip it in the bud!
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2015, 02:49:00 PM »

If your ex made a big deal about this in court, he would look like a high-conflict parent.

The whole point of the communication thing is to show that parents are making best efforts to maintain a healthy, supportive relationship with the other parent. You can do that with the phone. There are a lot of reasonable things you can say to the judge to explain why Facetime and Skype weren't optimal.

You get to call the shots on this one. If you tell him, "I prefer phone because I want to maintain some privacy," that's entirely reasonable. Just because your ex is trying to make this a big deal doesn't mean it's a big deal.

Hold the boundary at the maximum amount of privacy you can possibly get. And if you feel it's appropriate, maybe use this as an opportunity to point out some of his odd behaviors. "There are times when the girls are on the phone and you don't talk, maybe we can focus on some good communication parameters for those calls first and talk about this other technology once we get the phone conversations to a better place."

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest