Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 30, 2024, 12:33:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wow... maybe he really DOES mean it.  (Read 400 times)
Michelle27

« on: February 19, 2015, 10:31:46 PM »

Not going to get into the whole long story, but we had reached the point where I made it clear that in order for me to continue in this marriage, he needed to get help.  After years of me doing the legwork for him and him sabotaging it all, I put his stuff in his lap and told him I am now going to take care of myself and he needed to take care of himself.  Placed clear boundaries in place including a timeline in which I was clear on what I needed to see to know in order for me to begin to heal and be able to work on our marriage together.  I've been in therapy myself for months working on me, and while he did start CBT classes, he and I both know it's DBT that he needs.  He's been putting that off for months and just when I had decided he was stringing me along and I was resigning myself to the idea that I've done what I can, other than continue my own growth, and today he surprised me with the news that he has an intake appointment with our local Mental Health organization for starting DBT.  The intake appointment is next week.

It's too soon to celebrate, but I honestly didn't think he would go this far on his own.  I am cautiously optimistic.
Restored2

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 10:48:30 PM »

Michelle27: Sounds like a HUGE step in the right direction... .
vortex of confusion

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 11:08:11 PM »

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  

It is awesome when they surprise you with something like this. Being cautiously optimistic is a good thing.
Restored2

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 11:17:24 PM »

It's an awesome surprise.  Being cautiously optimistic is wise.
OnceConfused

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 09:51:34 AM »

It sounds very hopeful.

DBT is also about learning to be mindful of one's emotion so that one can recognize it and keep it in check.

You will have to make sure he practices the mindfulness out side of the therapy sessions. Changing BPD behaviors is like trying to change an imprint on a concrete patio, one has to shave off a little bit every day the old imprint.
Michelle27

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 11:25:41 AM »

That is very similar to how he described it.  Once he accepted that there was something wrong with his thinking patterns (years after I figured it out and attempted to get him to understand but he dismissed), he says he realizes that his thought patterns are like ruts in the 4 by 4 trails that go the wrong way.  His thoughts automatically go into those "ruts" and now he has to not only avoid those ruts but learn to create new ones.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest