Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 11:00:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to keep validating  (Read 360 times)
townhouse

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: March 04, 2015, 03:48:17 PM »

When my uBPD SO is in his kindly moods he likes to advise me on various things. Sometimes however, I have already thought of what he advises and have taken action on it. I can see the black paint brush appear when I say something like "Oh yes I've already phoned them, they will be here tomorrow.

What's the best response to not have words like that seen as non validating.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 05:05:07 PM »

Hi townhouse, 

I would acknowledge that he mentioned/advised you. Give him credit for his suggestions.

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
takingandsending

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Married, 15 years; together 18 years

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 05:36:27 PM »

Probably along the lines of, "That's a good idea. Thank you. I had thought of the same thing and have called so and so ... ."

I have the same difficulties with my uBPDw. She doesn't much care for independent thought or ideas, whether they agree with hers or not. It's mostly about making sure that she knows she is heard and valued.

Waverider had the best suggestion when it comes to validation: it really is supposed to come from your heart, i.e. you really mean it. I am pretty certain that is why my wife is underwhelmed by many of my attempts, because I haven't worked through the resentment I have toward her to be heartfelt. Without working through that lurking discontent, our SOs tend to feel slighted anyway. Best not to be too attached to SO's reaction unless you genuinely want to let him know that his advice is valued.

waverider
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 07:02:44 PM »

When he advises you to do what you have already done, you are glad he is in agreement with your decision right? Say so.

"I'm glad you think that is a good idea too, great minds must think alike, I just called them to do just that". Then give him a hug, or thumbs up. You are happy you are on the same page show it.

What you are trying to not portray is that you think you are ahead of/better than/quicker than him. They are on the look out for implied criticism

Then leave it at that. Validation is good but don't overdo it. It oils the machine but can't rebuilt it if its broken.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest