Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 02:02:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD Fleas.. Is that why we understand them?  (Read 392 times)
DreamerGirl

« on: May 02, 2015, 04:39:01 AM »

Growing up with a BPD Mother was a nightmare, and I look at myself and wonder is this why I am so accepting with my BPDbf and his behavior.

I'm wondering, are there different degrees of BPD?  at times i get concerned I also have BPD, but possibly I'm just more self aware.

A lot of my behavior has been BPD, over the years, even when I think of my childhood, which I have told my therapist, and he says it's fleas from my childhood.  I keep wondering though, is fleas BPD, but a more evolved version?

Often I've read stories here of how a BPD girlfriend or wife is treating her partner and I can relate to her and I know how she is feeling, and then I can it's like flipping a coin, I can also relate to how he is feeling by her behaviour.  That's what confuses me.

Does anybody else feel this way or understand this feeling?

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Notwendy

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 06:18:22 AM »

I was raised by a mom with BPD and feel very much like what you said. My H has some traits, but isn't nearly as affected as my mom. Still, it left me wondering why my relationship at times felt similar to being with her. I was walking on eggshells around him, having circular conversations that led nowhere, and if I brought up anything it was reflected back on to me. In fact, being raised by a severely affected mother made it harder for me to recognize dysfunction at the milder end of the spectrum, and I think it is a spectrum.

They say we choose romantic partners with similar issues as our family of origin, sometimes in a milder form, sometimes not. Perhaps it is because we see it as familiar and comfortable in a way, but also, I think it is something unconscious- the chemistry between two people is what it is.

Once I became aware of the "fleas", I did a lot of personal work to address them ( an ongoing job!) . The name for those fleas for me was "co-dependency".  I found ACOA ( adult children of alcoholics and dysfunction) to be very helpful in understanding the family patterns in dysfunctional families. Although growing up, I assumed my mom was the problem, I also had to understand my dad's role as an enabler. I found that I learned behaviors from both of them.

I also recognized the good. As a teen, I just hated my mother, but that led to me not wanting to be like her so I adopted my father as a role model. I found that my role in dysfunctional relationships was to be enabling, and that this contributed to issues in my relationship. However, although we got fleas, we need to also see our parents as not all bad, as I had seen my mother as a teen.  They have good traits too, and if we got fleas, we surely got some of the good traits as well.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest