Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 07:01:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick question  (Read 410 times)
understandnow

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« on: April 24, 2015, 02:03:22 PM »

Does a high conflict person who has painted me black (I can't do anything right in her eyes) feel abandment when, after a conflict,  i told her not to contact me again.
cleotokos

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 02:41:44 PM »

I think it's possible that they can. Without many details it's hard to assess but BPD's go on feelings, not facts - just remember that. The fact may be that her behavior drove you away, but that doesn't always factor in to them or they don't always understand that.
understandnow

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 03:12:45 PM »

She has texted me on numerous occasions ranting and raging.  I have never answered her except for this last time.  Only told her "do not contact me again."  I am enjoying the peace but don't want to add to her fear of abandonment if that is what's going on.  Can you tell, I'm the fixer?  Working on that!   
cleotokos

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 03:18:18 PM »

You have to draw the line somewhere. Setting boundaries is really hard with a BPD parent because to them, you having any boundaries feels like rejection. Have you tried telling her "if you yell/curse/whatever I will not be responding"? That is a bit less harsh than "do not contact me again". But if you are at the point of NC, that is up to you to decide.

And remember boundaries are about what YOU will do - so if you want to go NC, it is up to you to not respond to her, it is not up to her to not try to contact you. You can only control yourself, and trying to put limitations on how she behaves - ie. don't contact me - will probably bring you frustration.
understandnow

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 03:36:24 PM »

Good advice cleotokos.  Thankyou
Pilpel

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 06:17:09 PM »

I think it's very likely that a BPD could feel abandonment when you go NC.  In a relationship with a BPD, their emotions rule.  They tend to not see or acknowledge that how they treat other people is as important as their own emotions.

Just a little story: when I first met my BPD SIL and I was assuming that she was normal, she broke down crying, saying that she feared rejection because she had been rejected so many times before.  She said she had several (not just one) boyfriends who completely dropped out of her life, without bothering to tell her they were breaking up with her.  I had no clue about BPD, I've always tried to assume the best of people, so it didn't really raise any red flags.

We spent two days together, which ended with her raging at me because everything I said and did offended her.  And in the middle of that rage, she cried, "How could do this to me after I told you about all those boys who rejected me?"

At that point, it was perfectly obvious to me why those boyfriends had ended the relationship by completely avoiding her.  But it made absolutely no sense to me how she could have told me that story, with any shred of integrity, and describe herself as the poor repeatedly rejected victim rather than acknowledge that the way she treated those boys is the problem not that they rejected her by moving out of town and not leaving forwarding address.  

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest