Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 11:23:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books most popular with members
Stop Caretaking the
Borderline or the Narcassist
Stop Walking
on Eggshells
Journey from
Abandonment to Healing
The Search for Real Self
Unmasking Personality Disorders

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally Issued Legal Seperation Proceedings  (Read 391 times)
Davef

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: May 15, 2015, 05:55:04 AM »

Afternoon all, well two years after moving out of the family home I finally gave the go ahead to my solicitor to start legal proceedings for a legal separation. In one way Im totally gutted, sad, frightened but I have to start to get on with my life. My ex wife was diagnosed with an "emotional" personality disorder but having dealt with her over the last 13 years Id say its borderline/narssasistic!. At the moment she is manic, spending everything she is getting (and she now has a higher net income than me due to all the benefits the state give her) and you don't know one minute to the next whether she is going to be nice or launch into an attack (along with everything else her condition brings).  Im seeking shared parenting for my daughters as I do not want to look back in 10 years and think I should have done more. They need a calm, consistent and loving environment. Two are showing anxiety and I need to act now.  They are my life but Im also afraid of what my BPDex is going to try and do. Please tell me there is light at the end of the tunnel and that things do get easier?.
RollingWithIt

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 06:29:22 AM »

Hi Davef,

I really feel for you with what you're going through right now.  In some ways like my situation, I think you're suffering from the sheer unpredictability of the BPDs state, let alone the other legal questions & custody etc.

What I'm trying to stay focused on as much as I can, and what seems to help, as others have suggested, is that the children deserve & need you to be strong & also prepared, which it sounds like you are exactly that, & we need to remain focused on their interests. Not sure this will help, it does help me when I have the ineviatable low moments. I am still under the same roof so although you're further down the line than me I share your pain & frustration! I just wanted to reach out & say you're not alone!

RollingWithIt
maxen
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 07:43:04 AM »

hi Davef  

there is light at the end of the tunnel and things do get easier! but, be ready for the ride getting there. since you have children with her you will be dealing with her until the children reach majority at least, so you need to have a good deal of emotional clarity within yourself. do you have someone to talk things out?

At the moment she is manic, spending everything she is getting (and she now has a higher net income than me due to all the benefits the state give her)

my exw had a higher income than i did every year we were married and a good few years before and wound up $80K in debt. people diminish the importance of money but security is fundamental to a working relationship. from a legal point of view, in the states anyway, courts give wide latitude to 'lifestyle' choices, but will draw the line on 'dissipation of assets', so if you can get it, keep some record of where that money is going, it could benefit you in negotiations (in my divorce my w took the first offer i made, perhaps because if she hadn't i would have demanded discovery and she didn't want to expose her spending history).

ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 09:41:24 AM »

What is the reason you've filed for Legal Separation and not Divorce?  Meanwhile, here are a few warning posts I've made in years past that may be helpful to some extent in your state, province or country.

Court is The Real Authority... . Yes, judges are reluctant to make informed and insightful Solomon-like rulings, but at least with Court you are less unlikely to be treated as unfairly.  Generally there are only two options, Legal Separation (impractical in our high conflict cases) or Divorce.

My now-ex and I started out our separation with temporary protection/restraining orders.  After a few months they were eventually were dismissed and we were told to find a more permanent resolution.  That was either Legal Separation or Divorce.  Religiously divorce was not my first choice but by then I accepted the reality that I was facing significant false allegations and I had to protect myself and what parenting I could.  So I filed for divorce.  (For a year or two before our separation she would rant and rage that she was going to divorce me or I divorce her, so the concept of  divorce was no stranger to either of us.)

Getting the data for filing, getting a divorce attorney all took time.  So did waiting for the scheduled initial hearing for setting temp orders.  In all, I didn't see my preschooler for over 3 months, she wouldn't even let me even talk to our preschooler.  (And no, court didn't scold her nor give me make up time in the temp order.)

Fortunately, though, I had documented her behaviors and she apparently didn't feel able to claim DV against me.  That still left her free to allege child abuse, child neglect and child endangerment.  If your documentation of her behaviors is sparse, see what you can do to document her poor behaviors well going forward.  Review past incidents for ways to document them sufficiently well so they aren't seen as mere "he-said, she-said" and ignored.

Try to get the best temporary order you can from the very start.  Temp orders have a tendency to morph later into final orders, judges may not be interested in changing what in their view seems to be working.

My lawyer had told me that he has almost never done separations.  The reason (in my area) not to do a legal separation with an acting-out disordered spouse is that the first time (separation) you go through the custody process, she may misbehave before the court and evaluator and you will be seen as the better parent resulting in favorable parenting time for you.  But if you later decide to take that final step and seek divorce, you may have to go through the custody evaluation all over again and the second time around she may know how to hide her behaviors and she might get more custodial responsibility and parenting time.

I've posted about this topic a few times before, it's probably a good time to mention it again as it teaches a lesson: Experience is not the best teacher, it is the harshest teacher.  So, if you can, learn from others' experiences.

My lawyer warned me to avoid a trap a prior client had fallen for.  His client was divorcing his wife and the reports had come out well for him, his wife's behaviors were that concerning, he was going to have custody of his children, all that was needed was for him to sign.  One last signature. That's all.  No response to his letter to come in and sign, so he called (probably his secretary) and guess who answered?  The wife.  Yes, they were back together again.   The husband dropped the divorce.  Six months passed.  Then the husband came in wanting a divorce yet again, his wife really hadn't changed after all.  This time around his wife knew which behaviors the court and evaluators scrutinized and which she should avoid during the custody evaluation (or it might have been the court's cheaper parenting investigation) and the second time around the reports recommended the children stay with her.  You see, the second report had little or nothing to do with the first one, dropping the first case and starting over in court had triggered a Full Reset.

My lawyer wanted me to avoid a similar mistake.  He told me that even if she came and danced on my lawn naked, I should think with my big head and not my little one.

One question that I feel is the most important indicator whether the marriage should end or not... .Has she started therapy, real therapy and not just a few visits for window dressing, is she applying it diligently in her life and making solid progress toward recovery for a significant length of time?  Anything less and I worry that all you have is a temporary truce, a shaky one, if you choose to take a half-meansure.  Beware, if she's not solidly on the path to recovery, there is a virtual certainty there will be more conflict.  And as noted in my quote above you better believe that the second time around - if professional evaluations are done a second time - she'll know which behaviors to keep hidden and perhaps even manage to frame you for worse behaviors.  Maybe I'm jaded, but it's better to be jaded and in reasonable control of your life than fooled, taken to the cleaners and on the outside looking in.

So that comes around to my question again, What is the reason you've filed for Legal Separation and not Divorce?  Many here, myself included, pondered both but in extreme cases half-measures aren't advisable.  :)oing both LS and D is likely to be double the expenses and risks losing a good order.  However, in many places you can start with Legal Separation and then later during the process either spouse can decide to amend it to divorce.

Davef

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 02:53:46 PM »

Forever Dad I live in ireland and you have to be apart for 4 year and 5 months in order to divorce. I need a  seperation to get everything down in black and white. She is in therapy b6t really only playing lip service. She says that he knows she drinks and smokes drugs, I coukd go on but you know what someone with BPD does. Letter was sent on Friday so it will be interesting to see what she will do next week
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest