Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 03:42:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to prove someone has BPD in court?  (Read 441 times)
JayApril

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: May 19, 2015, 02:51:13 PM »

I know that BPDs are very good at lying and fooling people into believing their "normal". How do I prove that my ex has a disorder in court? I am going to file papers next month when I have money.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 03:28:33 PM »

Now that's a tough question.  I've read news reports where a number of murder cases mention the offender has one PD or another, but for many of us, myself included, we never got a diagnosis.  Or never found out about one.  Apparently most of the professionals (1) focus on behaviors rather than a diagnosis and (2) don't want to appear favoring one parent over the other, one a Winner and the other a Loser.

Behaviors and behavior patterns - identify, document and present this information.  This gets more attention with the courts, custody evaluators, etc.  Also, courts seem to split parents in half, with adult behaviors that are largely separate from parenting behaviors by making copies or the details of these incidents as entries in your journal or log.  That is, just because someone is a problem adult doesn't mean the person is a problem parent.  So while you can include the adult behaviors, be sure to give focus and emphasis to the parenting behaviors.

Parenting history gets attention.  Courts will often just continue the current status, within bounds.  Child abuse, child neglect and child endangerment are often the only hugely compelling reasons to restrict a parent's schedule.

If your ex has made suicidal or other unbalanced comments, that could have a real impact on how much parenting he is allowed by the court.  Document it.  Understand that you're not qualified to diagnose him as (1) really suicidal or (2) using it to manipulate others.  Either one is wrong and you can express your concerns but it is up to professionals to investigate.

What does make a real difference is getting a Custody Evaluation from an experienced and perceptive professional.  A CE can make (or break) a case, so choose well.  Sometimes a diagnosis may be mentioned, maybe, but the benefit is the evaluator makes an in-depth assessment of both parents, their relationships with the children and even some psych testing.  Be sure the MMPI-2 is one of the tests.

Is he likely to claim you've been obstructing his access?  Keep any information that documents he doesn't seek extra time or skips his time.  While he won't have proof that you're obstructing without basis, you need to be proactive in countering any potential claims because otherwise the court might be inclined to grant him more time just to appear impartial.

Courts generally keep visitation and child support as separate considerations.  So if he doesn't pay ordered support, that alone probably isn't basis to suspend visitation.  And you may not be able to make a 'deal' to decline child support as long as he doesn't take his visitation.  At least not officially.

What is it that you will be seeking from the court?

JayApril

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 03:33:09 PM »

That is what I dont want is for him to get more time. Everytime I have offered time to visit him he never takes me up on it. He might try and say that I tried to get in the way of him visiting taking my bluntness for rudwness. But, other than that there is nothing else he can say to make me look bad.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:31:55 AM »

That is what I dont want is for him to get more time. Everytime I have offered time to visit him he never takes me up on it. He might try and say that I tried to get in the way of him visiting taking my bluntness for rudwness. But, other than that there is nothing else he can say to make me look bad.

It's tricky in court. If you point the finger at him and say he has a PD, he will point his own finger back and say you do too. ForeverDad's advice is good -- what courts really care about are the patterns and the behaviors. Plenty of people have psychiatric illnesses. That doesn't make them bad parents. Court seems to care more about documented patterns of troubling behaviors than the actual diagnoses. Although, what you really want is a lot of data points that add up to a compelling argument. If a PD diagnosis has been made, then that's a data point that may be useful amidst the other evidence and documentation. My ex received a forensic psychiatric evaluation that phrased their findings this way, "It cannot be ruled out that Mr. N/BPDx has a personality disorder." Even though that is the lamest diagnosis I can imagine, it didn't matter -- my own documentation of ex's behavior, his own behavior in court, and his tendency to say one thing and do another -- that was far more worrying to the court. Not to mention the rest of the psych eval and what it said.

We often recommend that people figure out what their goals are, and then think through a strategy that will help you get the best outcome. A goal might be: primary custody, or sole custody, or shared legal custody with decision-making given to the custodial parent. Part of that goal might include no overnight visitation, or supervised visitation, or graduated visitation, or conditional visitation (ie. the parent must attend parenting classes, or substance abuse treatment prior to the reinstatement of visitation).

The strategy might include having a custody evaluation that involves psyche evals for both parents (MMPI-2). Or you might do a deposition (this is a form of sworn testimony that can be cross-examined, which can be useful to undermine someone's credibility). Or, if your state uses them, your strategy might involve having a parenting coordinator assigned to monitor the conflict (third-party professionals can be subpoenaed and give testimony as to the fit of both parents).

The outcome might be that you end up with shared custody, but the limits on visitation are so high that your ex fails to meet the conditions, and by default, there is no visitation.

Having said all this, do you believe your ex will undergo the stress and procedural steps to follow through on any legal threats he is making, at least in terms of custody? If you are offering him time with your son, and he refuses, those are very telling actions on his part.

The court will expect him to file for custody (if you don't already have an agreement) if he is not getting enough time. That's what normal parents do. Your ex is probably exploiting your own psychological issues here -- this is common, something we all tend to experience in the beginning of our custody battles. The fact he is not spending time with your child and not filing to get more time is a really obvious message that the court will have no trouble reading. The key is to make sure that whatever allegations he makes, you have documentation to counter him. If you are offering time, and he says no (ie. it's your fault, you're mean, you're controlling, etc.), the court doesn't care. They know that a parent who wants to see his or her child will take the necessary action through the courts.

Also, I did not find it was all that difficult to show my ex was lying. The court did not have a problem either. What became a problem is the expense and constant negative engagement in court. Anyone can file a motion, or ask for a hearing, or whatever. There are stories here of courts that did not rule favorably, and plenty of court professionals who did not "get it." That does happen. The opposite also happens, it all comes down to your own strategy and who is involved in your case.

Think carefully about what you have now, and how your ex is likely to respond -- whether he has the mental health to even show up. Or whether he will create so many legal obstructions and continuances that he discovers a new way to harass and abuse you. And be extra careful that you are not negotiating with yourself. This is something many of us do. In the absence of a reasonable counter-offer from our ex, we act anyway. If he offers to do nothing in return, that is a counter offer. You don't have to necessarily make a move or try to second-guess what he is thinking (his tactic may be simply to keep you off balance).

Breathe.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 11:29:35 AM »

My custody evaluator's initial report to the court was about 10 or 11 pages and the final page was the conclusion and recommendation.  He was excellent, a child psychologist, well respected by the court.  I recall my first session, he told me that parenting history was about 50% of the outcome.  That worried me since my ex had quit work when our son was born.  So from the start she had default preference from the professionals based on (1) her majority parenting time as Stay At Home Mother (SAHM) and (2) her gender (unspoken and unwritten).

My problem was that she was actively shutting me out of all parental decisions and contact without any justification, it was her sense of entitlement, need to control and extremes of emotions (rants and rages) with imagined impunity.

I recall my custody evaluator's perceptive conclusion in the initial report.  "Mother cannot share 'her' child but Father can... .  Mother should immediately lose temporary custody... .  If Shared Parenting is tried and fails then Father should have custody."

If he has not been asking for visits, your offers are frequently rebuffed, declined or ignored, and he hasn't tried to take court action, then I would just continue accumulating your documentation that (1) you're not blocking reasonable access and (2) for whatever reasons he is often not trying to visit his son.  Meanwhile, let him put himself in the back seat.

You can't make him parent and the court won't make him parent.  Of course, if it goes to court then he is likely to say the reason he doesn't have a history of regular visitation is because he's being blocked.  Just be prepared with documentation (1) that he hasn't tried to parent much and (2) you have serious concerns about allowing unsupervised contact.  Understand that specific incidents that apply would be from the past 6 months, older incidents could be seen as 'stale' and would be useful primarily to demonstrate an overall pattern of behaviors.

JayApril

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 05:29:14 PM »

Thank you for all of the good advise. It just proves all of his claims will be empty, because I am the one with all of the documentation. I am just going to stick to documenting right now. I have said to him what rules or boundaries that are okay & not okay if he visited. I have also extened an invitation two other times. The latest invite was three weeks ago. He chooses to ignore them. He recycles and tried to call me asking if I needed anything. I replied by saying, do not wait for me to ask you for something. If you would like to get him something then do it. I said that I would never call him, unless LO was sick. ( I always made sure to push the ball back in his court. I have a mother who is a therapist, if I need someone to speak on my behalf about my exs behavior could I use her?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest