Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 03:28:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Life with a daughter with BPD  (Read 460 times)
Honey15

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: July 29, 2015, 12:39:48 AM »

I have a daughter who was diagnosed with BPD three and a half years ago. I find it very difficult to have her living with me as I am unable to handle the abuse, lying, stealing that she denies, and I am finding it harder and harder each day. I am now 75 years old and would like peace for my latter years of life. My daughter was originally diagnosed with Schizophrenia 24 years ago and that was an extremely hard time to live through. However they have now decided that she was wrongly diagnosed and have come up with this new diagnose. There does not seem to  be any pills that are able to help her and while she is "normally" a beautiful, caring and loving daughter, when she has an episode of BPD life is extremely difficult.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Kwamina
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 07:28:29 AM »

Hi Honey15

BPD can be quite a challenging disorder indeed. Based on what you know about BPD, do you feel that this diagnosis fits your daughter better than her previous one? Do you feel your daughter acknowledges and understands her BPD diagnosis?

There are certain forms of therapy that have been proven to be effective for people with BPD, such as Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). Is your daughter getting any targeted therapy for her BPD?

Living with a BPD child can take quite a toll on you and I understand your desire for peace in your life. To help you better understand what's going on with your daughter, I encourage you to take a look at the tools and lessons to the right of this message board. These resources can hopefully help you in your interactions with your daughter.

Take care and welcome to bpdfamily

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 08:26:05 AM »

Hi Honey15,

I wanted to pop in and join Kwamina in welcoming you to the Parenting Board.

We understand your struggles and are here for you dear.

lbj

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
kelti1972

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 10:16:36 AM »

Hi Honey15:

I too want to join the others and welcome you to the board.  I am 65 and have a 27 year old swBPD living with us.  I know how you feel about having peace and serenity at your age.  We kicked him out of our house months ago, when we thought he had drugs in our house, came to find out that was a lie.  However, during that time he got assessed and was in a 12-step program for a short period.  Of course he left that and even though he is in therapy, with a very good counselor, he is resisting the DBT group.  He feels it is stupid and will have not benefit  him.

He has a pattern of running before he gives things a chance.  Anyway my husband and I just told him the other day, well if you don't want to do the therapy get a full time job and move out.  Do not know at this point what will happen.  Do empathize with you and understand, hope you read all the tools on the board, there is such rich knowledge and wisdom here.  Kelti
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest