Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 03:37:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Advice on dealing with the INLAWS  (Read 342 times)
Thread

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: August 10, 2015, 01:01:39 AM »

Long sorry short;

The father of my BPD husband wants to visit in November.

They're not my biggest supporters and blame my BPD's H issues on me. His sister has said, "he's stressed out because he's worried about you." When he refused therapy, "no man wants to willingly do therapy." His dad when I left him the first time, "why is she doing this?" I heard that statement. Even though they knew he was screaming at me and threatening suicide. His brother, "calling you a b___ isn't that big of a deal." (However they are religious so my retort was have you called your wife that? No response.) His mother had asked me what I was doing as a wife and continued to lend me a religious book about a women's role in a marriage... .May have been the praying wife or something written in the 70s. One statement in the book was about how if your husband is lacking something what are you doing wrong, are you taking care of yourself, working out, making dinner, etc. recently after my HBPDs last tantrum of trying to shut our business down and telling his parents he's flying home the following day, I found text messages from his sister "you know you have a place here with us." And, "what is she doing this time?"

I know it's good his father wants to visit. However I work from home a lot with our business and don't really want to be around. Specifically I have stopped communication with them after they kept blaming me when I asked for their help when he was threatening suicide the first time. (Background his dad tried to kill himself and he and the mom are on antidepressants, mom possibly has BPD and is definitely doing what appears to be the model of DBT therapy.)

How do I deal with this situation in a way that's good for both of us?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Ceruleanblue

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 01:31:25 AM »

Wow, I don't really have any advice, but just wanted to say I can feel your pain. I used to have a MIL that never accepted me, and now in this marriage, there are three step daughters who have created a huge divide all of their own making. It's tough. Wanting to do the right thing isn't always enough for these kind of people. You know, difficult people, who obviously have some issues.

Maybe you can just let it play out, let your husband decide what's going to happen, and do your best to be pleasant. You already don't have their support, so it's not likely his Dad will seek you out much? Seems the apple doesn't fall very far from the tree sometimes... .sadly. BPDh's kids always said they didn't want to be like their Mom(or likely BPDh either), but it turns out they are just like her in their actions and blame and erratic behaviors. So sad.
sempervivum

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 01:55:02 AM »

How do I deal with this situation in a way that's good for both of us?

I´m sorry you have to deal with this. I had that in my life, too, that common tribal attitude against an innocent newcomer who doesn´t fit. According to them, of course!

It won´t be easy, but if you have the will and the strength, you will just have to follow the rule "Actions speak louder than words." Meaning you don´t dwell over what they say or try to enforce, just live what you are and be what you are. You don´t hurt anyone by being yourself, you are just making them anxious because things don´t run their way. But you have to train yourself not to hear and not to bother about what they say. I mean really. It is teaching/training yourself to be less sensitive to attempts of training by others.

My "tribe" used to say similar stupidities that made me literally sick, but my husband (although with BP) had so much common sense to see what is stupid, or maybe I was stubborn enough not to yield and accept their rules.

As for religion, I am a believer, but if I feel even a smell of force, then there is no God. Such people don´t really believe in anything, they are hypocrits.
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 11:00:32 AM »

However I work from home a lot with our business and don't really want to be around. 

Well... .write out a few things that you think will happen... .and we can help you figure out boundaries.

Are there patterns of how these visits go.

Does you hubby want him to visit?

FF

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest