Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 04:48:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books most popular with members
Stop Caretaking the
Borderline or the Narcassist
Stop Walking
on Eggshells
Journey from
Abandonment to Healing
The Search for Real Self
Unmasking Personality Disorders

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silent Treatment - Is he BPD? (Long Story)  (Read 376 times)
misssouthernbelle

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: July 30, 2015, 12:00:01 AM »

I have been involved with someone who was BPD before and it was a complete headspin. All the signs were there. Fast attachment, then pulling away, up, down, up down, and then out of nowhere - I was painted as the crazy villain and hated. It hurt so much. It actually triggered pain from my past that I had to go to therapy for, and for that, I'm grateful. It made me realize I wasn't over my childhood trauma by ripping the scab off old wounds.

Now, I feel like there is an adult self and though the lonely child tries to break through and I start thinking through that old schema, I tend to be able to rationally talk to the lonely child and see how irrational that way of thinking is. One's behavior and treatment of me has nothing to do with me and my self-worth.

Anyways, I think that is what made me finally see this situation for what it was and establish some sort of boundary.

In the beginning, I was more forward and free with this guy because he was a friend of my friends and they all said what a great guy he is, though he's shy. I made the first moves of texting and calling because my friend told me he had told her he felt too stupid for me and blah, blah, and in some of our first phone calls, he said 1) There was still plenty of time to push him away 2) That he was afraid of dating a crazy woman 3) That he could never be 100% himself with a woman before and 4) That he was afraid that when I saw his demons, I would leave because we were in the "sweet stage" right now.   Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post)

I pretty much told him in those conversations that if he didn't take a chance that he would lose some amazing people out of his life: aka don't play games and push me away or I will leave. He said he knew.

We got closer, but the week before our friend's party (which turned into a joint party for me too because I got a job last minute that week) he became distant. He barely talked when I text him and when he replied it was vague and very delayed. So, I quit texting him. He text me the night of the party and made sure it was still on. At the party, our chemistry was electric. He was joking with me in the kitchen and I playfully tapped him on the back and he said, "Look, it's an abusive relationship!" and kind of caught himself. I said, "You must be drunk!" He said, "I was just trying to have some fun." This is the same guy who couldn't even commit to a date without backing out.

We were in the living room and all of a sudden, a side of him I'd never seen comes out... .he goes "Why didn't you tell me this was your party too?" accusingly. I said, "I didn't think it was that important because you were already coming... .plus, we didn't talk much this week." He goes, "You know you can text me anytime you want. I guess it's not that important. Are you going to tell me about your birthday plans next week?" Feeling cornered and flabbergasted by this side of him, especially in front of everyone, I said, "Maybe."  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post)

Later that night, we stayed up until 5 am talking and drinking and slept next to each other on the loveseat at our friend's house. He did not make the first move, but would look into my eyes. It drove me crazy and kinda turned me off, even though the intimacy of being next to him was amazing. Even after we woke up that next morning, there was something different about him... .it was like he was rigid next to me.

Two days later, I text him, and he didn't reply for a whole day, which was unlike him. So, sensing his need for space, I didn't reply to his reply. He text me Happy Birthday a few days later and I told him about my birthday plans. I told him our friends said we could go skinny dipping after they went to bed (joking) and he said, "Now you're crossing my boundaries *laughing emoji*" What man tells a woman she's crossing his boundaries when she mentions being naked? I was kinda floored there. I joked and said he didn't have to worry because I wasn't making anymore moves. He said, "What? I asked you out!" (which happened because I brought up then that I was the only one making moves aside from texting) and he didn't try to make it happen because he had "work he had to do." He said he was genuinely busy that night and he had meant when he was free   So, he said to let him know when I was free again. After that text, he didn't respond to anything else I said, like when I said I would when I got my schedule.

Next thing I knew, it was my birthday party. He hadn't text me. My friend's husband (his buddy) called him and he acted deathly sick and told him he wasn't coming, yet he didn't have the decency to text me or call me after making that scene last weekend about letting him know about my plans for my birthday? Talk about annoying the hell out of me. He was just going to act like I hadn't invited him.

Monday, I text him and checked on him. He answered me, but it wasn't the fun and bubbly man I had gotten to know. It was Mr. Stonewall. He was answering, but his emotions weren't there. So, I had had it. I told him I got the feeling he wasn't into me or wasn't ready to date, and that I was ready to date and take to the next level, but I had been giving him space because of his distance. He took a whole day to respond. When he came back, it kind of shocked me how nice he was in our following conversation (probably because I had compassion and didn't make him feel bad).

He said he wasn't ready to date, but didn't want me to think he was trying to waste my time, liked me, liked getting to know me "no pressure", thought we could have something good, wanted to take things slow, didn't know how much time he needed, didn't want to hold me back, and he liked what we had so far. FINALLY, SOME FEELINGS.

I thought we ended on good terms. So, when two weeks went by and he didn't contact me, I decided to shoot him a light and friendly text, nothing heavy. He ignored me. He had never done that before. Feeling hurt and not understanding... .I bore my heart and soul and pretty much put the ball in his court after waiting two days for him to respond to the light text.

I told him I wasn't going to play this push/pull game with him (BOUNDARY). I told him that I knew he was scared and so was I. I told him that, in a sense, we are alike. I tend to push away men that actually pursue me and like me, and go after those who don't care, just like all of his past relationships (I'm beginning to think he mirrored that). I said that I felt like I had finally met someone who was good-hearted and just broken like me, which made it hard to take a risk and be open with someone. I pretty much told him he condemned himself to bad women by repeating the cycle with women who didn't care about him and hurt him by never being hurt by his distance. A woman who cares doesn't like being at arm's length. I told him that I felt like we could have something and I would like to see where it could go if he would work with me and go against the grain, being with someone who made him uncomfortable for all the right reasons. I said if he didn't respond (BOUNDARY) I was going on with my life, making peace, and wishing him the best, but that I had to take this chance because life is short.

He never responded. It's been a battle of talking my lonely child out of taking over how I process this. She's very hurt that someone would do this and the adult side of me recognizes that this is just another damaged soul that is damaged in a different way from me.

Overall, it just hurts to invest in someone who talked about where you would go on your first date and potentially meeting his parents (making you think he was ready to progress things) only to have the rug ripped out from under you and to be completely emotionally ignored... .

The lonely child part of me doesn't understand how you can get so close and know about each other's lives, only to cut that person out by ignoring their very existence. I just couldn't take being ignored... .that is blatant disrespect and I hate the anxiety it brings when you never know when that person is going to decide to act like you exist again. It wasn't for me. But, the silent treatment is when it all clicked for me... .I was dealing with another abandoned child who abandoned me.  All the signs were there, but the rescuer in me didn't want to see them.

It just sucks to care when someone cuts you out like that. :'(

Honestly, if he was to come around again... .which I highly doubt for some reason... .I don't know how I would react after feeling like he took a s**t on my feelings.

P.S. Another sign of BPD... .my friend, when I confided in her everything that had happened between us since she was the one who set us up, said that he would even go periods without speaking to her and her husband, to eventually come around again. I'm not the only one he disappears from. They've even had to contact his mother to get in touch with him and he will make an excuse about leaving his phone in his truck. Classic white/black painting of people.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 05:17:53 PM »

hey misssouthernbelle 

"It just sucks to care when someone cuts you out like that."

it does suck  . its horrible. i met a girl who did that to me and i only knew her briefly, and i found myself obsessing afterward. its okay to care, though. its traumatic. it can feel pretty cruel to feel like someone wont acknowledge your existence. telling yourself otherwise only serves to invalidate your feelings.

it sounds to me like you did your best here. be proud of that. really and truly.

my inner child doesnt understand it either. my inner child tends to believe if both parties have feelings it oughta work. speaking to and working with your inner child is really terrific work and has serious benefit and results. our inner child often doesnt understand that theres no changing some people. that we cant be the only party working to improve things. that some patterns are deeply ingrained for some people, which sounds like the case here. like i said, you did your best.

have you had a conversation with your inner child about this? you might try a letter, if not a dialogue.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
JQ

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 07:20:20 PM »

Misssouthernbelle,

Welcome to the group ... .you'll find no judgement here ... .only people that will listen to you, give words of encouragement, and guidance ... .and a virtual hug when needed. 

You have describe in great detail what a lot of us have experienced with our BPD relationship so do not feel alone ... .and you describe yourself quite accurately as a codependent from your experiences growing up as a child. Always looking to be the savior of every puppy in the pound ... .but alas ... .no every puppy can be saved as much as we would like to believe it.

You're experiences are very much and very close to mine that I've had with my ex BPD gf. In the beginning, in the middle and in the end ... .damn do they all read from the same script? Instead of the "sweat stage" mine called it the honey moon stage ... .quick to tell me her life issues ... .how the ex husband was a POS, how she was abused as a child from her big brother, big sister, absent father, a over bearing mother who was most likely a BPD herself. Then quick to jump into sexting, the phone sex and then drive half way across the country to spend a weekend. Like you we would talk for hours upon hours till 3. 4. 5 in the morning ... .several times a week ... .my physical and mental limits with work were tested. Shortly after that came everything else you describe ... .she became more distant ... .I was painted black, then white, then black again. I was told if I really loved her I would do xyz for her ... .then I did ... .that wasn't good enough now I had to abc ... .it was never enough ... .the parameters kept changing.

She called things off ... .went back to bf2 for awhile ... .bought a house with him ... .after only 4 months ... .btw ... .he didn't have a job at the time ... .within months of buying the house they split up ... .she sold the house and went to bf3 ... .meantime ... .unknown to me ... .she was calling and or texting me to catch up ... .tell me she missed me ... .sexting, phone sex ... .then told me she was with a bf3 ... .so I called things off  ... .she would continue to reach out ... .saying she missed me ... .wanted to be with me ... .but was confused ... .I moved to be with her across country ... .within 2 months I moved away because she had become distant ... .she told me she missed bf3 ... .so I left. she accused me of all kinds of things ... .but stayed in touch with me ... .even though she was dating bf3.

So anyway ... .long story short ... .she tells me she's broken ... .doesn't know what to do with me ... .tells me she's not getting what she needs from relationship with bf3 ... .but continues to want to sext me, and have phone sex with me ... .and continues to tell me she's still broken ... .doesn't know what she wants to do with me ... .it's a good thing I've moved to a different state all together ... .I'm moving on ... .trying to heal thyself ... .therapy ... .exercise ... .self reflecting ... .becoming more self aware ... .and really thinking about my BPD mother, sister ... .first BPD gf ... .second BPD gf ... .and possibly two wives ... .I've never been this self aware before ... .then again I had never gone to therapy for anything ... .i've never read and consumed as much on BPD as I have ... .it's rather eye opening isn't it.

we both know he will come around ... .they always do ... .the question is are you going to repeat the cycle as many of us do ... .because we just can't help ourselves ... .LOL. I've decided for myself that I can't live like that anymore ... .I deserve a mutually respectful relationship ... .I deserve not to stress about something I might say that might trigger something ... .I deserve not to stress about her going out with the "Girlfriends" and it actually not bf3 or bf2 or maybe bf4.  I deserve someone who will respect me as much as I respect them ... .to care for me as much as I care for them ... .and you know what ... .YOU deserve that too!  STOP THE RECYCLE! STOP THE MADNESS! 

my health, mental and physical is worth more ... .so is yours ... .

You've learned a very ... .VERY valuable lesson ... .you have gotten off cheap my friend ... .someone else in the group has supported her BPD husband for 10 years  ... .that's right now job ... .some of us have spent thousands of dollars to learn the lessons we have ... .some of us have paid a bigger price with our health ... .I ended up in the hospital for 3 days with a bp of 190/80 ... .IV''s in the ER ... .nitro to stop the pending hard attack ... .not to mention the extra drinking I'm sure it's caused ... .but now I'm better ... .don't drink nearly as much ... .you got off cheap ... .consider yourself very VERY LUCKY ... .

come vent ... .just as I have ... .it's a lesson to us all ... .if I share with you ... .you share with me ... .we share with the group ... .our stories are not so different ... .

be safe, be strong ... .

JQ

misssouthernbelle

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 09:47:49 PM »

Thank you so much guys. I'm still struggling. I know I gave it my all. It took me a few weeks to really realize that this was another pwBPD situation and that's why I posted here. I'm having a hard time with coping with the idea that I fell for it again. My poor heart can't take anymore. The child within feels so unlovable.

Not to mention right after this, a guy stopped talking to me because of a picture I sent him in which he obviously thought I looked too fat... .kinda had a breakdown after that.

I feel so lost. So hurt. I feel like I am damned if I settle with someone like this and just as equally damned by the loneliness that ensues after I stand up for myself.

I just want to share love and intimacy with someone who will love me back and that seems like it will never happen.

The cycle repeats and it gets harder and harder to want to try again.  :'(
JQ

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 11:18:33 AM »

Thank you so much guys. I'm still struggling. I know I gave it my all. It took me a few weeks to really realize that this was another pwBPD situation and that's why I posted here. I'm having a hard time with coping with the idea that I fell for it again. My poor heart can't take anymore. The child within feels so unlovable.

Not to mention right after this, a guy stopped talking to me because of a picture I sent him in which he obviously thought I looked too fat... .kinda had a breakdown after that.

I feel so lost. So hurt. I feel like I am damned if I settle with someone like this and just as equally damned by the loneliness that ensues after I stand up for myself.

I just want to share love and intimacy with someone who will love me back and that seems like it will never happen.

The cycle repeats and it gets harder and harder to want to try again.  :'(

MSsouthernbelle,

We all want & more importantly deserve to be in a caring love mutually respectful relationship. There are 7,869,375,251 people in the world just in case your ex is feeling irreplaceable    You become a better person inside when you stand up for yourself, more confident and others will noticed. Trust me.

You didn't fall for it again ... .being a codependent, peace maker, care giver is who you are at your core. Most of us in this forum are, it's who we are. But the good news is that we can get some therapy and i did to learn to say now. To learn the warning signs of a toxic relationship no matter if it's with someone with BPD or something else. Take some time for yourself, take a deep breath and enjoy the day. Enjoy the sun on your face, the breeze through the leaves, the sounds of the nature all around. Enjoy the simple things. I've been through two exBPD gf, one 18 years ago, another one recently ... .it seems as if I forgot what lesson I learned all those years ago. These two were on the far right of the crazy train express and my two ex-wives are more on the left side of BPD ... .not as intense as the other two. They didn't have websites like this back then and I've only recently found it after the second go around with exBPD gf 2.

I know it sucks, but trust me it gets better, I don't obsess or worry about what she's doing or who she's doing it with. 30 days makes a habit I'm told ... .I haven't seen her in 3 months and haven't talked or texted her in over a week. And trust me, I'm in a much better place then I was. After 30 days I stressed less and less each day about being with her, where she was, etc. I went out and did some walking, rode a bike, enjoyed nature and took deep breaths.  Smiling (click to insert in post)  Go out with a friend and go to a movie, go grab lunch, something simple something easy, something non stressful. Before you know it 30 days have come and gone and you'll be doing a lot better.   I don't check my phone constantly, I don't check her FB, I don't check anything really anymore. I know I feel better and I know you will too.

It's the weekend!    Get out and enjoy it! Go see a funny movie ... .laugh ... .enjoy your friends!

Come back as often as you need too and let us know how you're doing.

JQ

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest