Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 01:39:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with boundaries  (Read 366 times)
Mrs. Hyde

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: August 08, 2015, 08:15:40 PM »

I was issued emergency custody one year ago.  I still have it but am fighting for full custody right now.  When I initially filed I was so resolute about never ever going back to him.  In court he is completely trying to assassinate my character and filing motion after motion after motion... .all lies.  Guerilla warfare... .and yet somehow I find myself at times feeling so sad and wanting to recapture what we had.  At least the periods of idealization.  Why cant I just let go.  Why?  It makes no sense that someone could be,so horrible to me and I still manage to love him and feel so sad letting go of him.  How do you move on?  I know he is not healthy.  His thinking is completely off.  That will never change.  He has been so mean to me.  I need to let go but I cant.  I have a,1 year old with him so we are tied together for at least 20 years.  It would be easier if I never had to see him.  What do I do... .it is so painful and I feel so lonely and sad
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 10:07:25 AM »

Hi Mrs. Hyde,

Feeling lonely and sad is deeply painful  :'( especially when you've had a child with someone, and know that your lives will be tied together whether you remain married or not. We have to grieve the loss of the relationship, and yet that relationship continues in a very intimate albeit strained way.

We are wired to feel healthy dependence and attachment to people we love, that's how humans have survived -- living in groups, staying connected to family.

It all becomes so confusing when that love, that bond, becomes attached to a disordered mentally ill person. We are left to grieve someone who is only partly able to reciprocate the attachment.

In the book Attached: The New Science of Adult Romantic Relationships by Dr. Levine, he talks about anxious attachment styles. This insecure attachment style probably developed in childhood, perhaps with a parent who was not entirely available for one reason or another. The child grows up and applies this learned attachment style to adult romantic relationships, and gets caught in a loop of maladaptive behaviors that were successful coping mechanisms during childhood but lack some of the effective bonding strategies we need for secure relationships.

Understanding this powerful biological urge helped me depersonalize it to a certain extent, and that helped me make progress in therapy. I felt that my T maybe didn't understand what I was feeling, which made me feel more alone. I can see now that part of my pain is simple human biology, and was able to accept that truth while simultaneously grieving the loss of my marriage.

In other words, it's perfectly normal what you are feeling, and perhaps accepting that is what you need to embrace without acting on any impulses to resurrect the relationship.

LnL

Breathe.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 10:59:46 AM »

Addressing the issue of custody, have backup strategies for everything.  Most courts are reluctant to assign full custody to one parent, they feel it feeds a win/lose scenario.  However, it is possible to have joint custody and still have a measure of control over the obstruction and sabotage.  If you can't get full custody, here are two options for joint custody that effectively do give you (nearly) full control but without the triggering words.

Decision Making -- you make the major decisions and inform him.

Tie Breaker -- you try to reach agreement first but if it fails then proceed and inform him.

Yes, if you had either one of the above - and even if you had full custody - he could still drag you back into court contesting your decisions.  The difference is that you can proceed with your major decisions while it is (slowly) addressed in court.  Not a perfect solution but it is better than standard joint custody where every dispute over major decisions has to go to court or some other professional.

What courts like about this is both parents can still claim to have "joint custody" and thus your ex can preserve his Public Mask of Seeming Normalcy.

momtara

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 12:58:18 AM »

You feel tied to him and sad because you have seen the person he COULD be if not for mental illness. You have seen that there is a good side. Unfortunately, the good and the bad side are both parts of him and one will not necessarily win over the other. It's also pretty lonely to be in your position. I get it. My ex has been awful, and yet if he lets up for a few days, I feel bad for him. And frankly, it's not fair that this illness so ravages his thinking. But there is an awful, dangerous side to them. It takes a while to detatch, probably for some of us more than others (especially if we're codependent). Fighting for the most custody now is the best thing you can do, because if you give up early, it's hard to get it back. If you were awarded emergency custody there must have been a reason. If he improves down the road, he can always come back and change things. Don't get soft. I feel your pain. BPD is such an awful disorder. It drags us all into the FOG.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 09:20:52 AM »

Fighting for the most custody now is the best thing you can do, because if you give up early, it's hard to get it back. If you were awarded emergency custody there must have been a reason.

This is so important a point to ponder well.  During a separation we (we who end up here, we who tried so hard, we who never wanted to give up trying) are thinking we ought to play softball with fairness.  The problem is that, for many of us, our soon to be ex-spouses stoop to playing hardball with spitballs and every underhanded slick tactic to sabotage us.  That's why we have to be strong and have determination to do our best to have the stable parent be in charge.  It may feel like we're too mean but it's because we can later, when it is safer to do so, we can consider being 'nice' later when our parenting is secure, as momtara wrote:

If he improves down the road, he can always come back and change things. Don't get soft.

My separation started out with my then-spouse facing a Threat of DV charge.  Yet family court made a temp order assigning her temporary custody and majority time.  I had 22% time, alternate weekends and 3 hours in between.  The mutual protection orders and temp order eventually were dismissed.  My ex blocked all father-son contact.  I had no choice but to file for divorce.  The magistrate, fully aware of the 3 months of blocking, made a new temp order, same as the last.  Within a year the court's own parenting investigator recommended I get equal time and also a custody evaluation.  Court ignored the parenting change and ordered CE as the next step.  The CE report summarized, "Mother cannot share 'her' child but Father can... .Mother should immediately lose temporary custody... ."  The judge did not change the order but moved to settlement conference as the next step.  The separation and divorce took two years.  I walked out with Shared Parenting and equal time.  As predicted, it didn't work and I went back and became Legal Guardian.  Still issues and so I went back and got majority time during the school year.

Eight years in and out of court with baby step improvements to reach an order that finally has worked.  Going in my son was 3 years old, conflict finally reduced when he was nearly 12 years old.  Only now, from an established position of authority, can I afford to be nice without risk of sabotage and conflict.  There are still problems, my ex still gets triggered and flares up from time to time, but it is finally manageable.

If you are at the beginning of the separation or divorce... .My experience was like others, it is hard to get a temp order improved.  And our divorce cases usually take a year or two and sometimes longer. Then there is the real risk that a temp order will morph relatively unchanged into the final decree.  For those reasons, do try to get the best order, temporary and subsequent, that you can from the very start.

Every case is a little, or a lot, different.  But be careful to place your Parenting as the priority, you can afford to be 'nice' later when that is secure.  Don't let your ex guilt you by claiming you're unfair or mean or whatever.  Your priority is yourself and your children.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest