Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 08:19:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My son living with me and my actual BPD wife ... the hell  (Read 411 times)
rodico61

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: September 14, 2015, 12:27:18 PM »

I discovered one month ago that my actual (second) wife has BPD. My 23 yo son from my previous marriage is living with us. Off course my wife and my son are fighting everyday mainly because my wife is BPD. My son still don't know what BPD is. It is better to involve my son knowing what BPD is (to be more tollerant with her) or not? It is right and better for us to ask him to help me or can be the hell? I really don't know what to do.
UserName69
AKA double_edge, Mr.Jason, Bradley101

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 01:15:08 PM »

Is she in therapy and or diagnosed?
rodico61

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 03:07:01 PM »

Is she in therapy and or diagnosed?

I discover it and I have been (myself) in a BPD psycologist office. I am still not able to bring her to psycologist (as you can imagine). How I discover it? I red 2 books and I have been watching 5 hours of documentaries about BPD. Reading and watching I recognize BPD (reading the books it seems to read my day by day life). But off course I am not a psycologist!
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 03:07:32 PM »

Doesn't matter much whether there is a diagnosis or not.  Two things... .

1.  Her:  If she could lessen the Denial, Blaming and Blame Shifting then she could make real progress in long term therapy if she would apply the professional guidance in her life and thinking.  However, she is an adult, you can't make her seek help, no one can, except her.  (Generally it is not advised to mention BPD to the person, the 'label' can trigger overreactions and intense pushback.)

2.  Son:  He might be able to manage the relationship better if you help him learn what you and he are dealing with.  With improved skills and techniques - see the workshops here - the confrontations may be less frequent and less triggering to her.  A major part of living in close proximity to a pwBPD is learning how to set and maintain firm boundaries of behavior.  While you and he may not be able to change her, you two can change how you handle contact with her.  That's what boundaries are all about.  Appeasing and compliance don't work, at least not for long.  Firm and practical boundaries - based on what works and on overall insight and awareness - work best.

rodico61

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 01:41:15 PM »

Doesn't matter much whether there is a diagnosis or not.  Two things... .

1.  Her:  If she could lessen the Denial, Blaming and Blame Shifting then she could make real progress in long term therapy if she would apply the professional guidance in her life and thinking.  However, she is an adult, you can't make her seek help, no one can, except her.  (Generally it is not advised to mention BPD to the person, the 'label' can trigger overreactions and intense pushback.)

2.  Son:  He might be able to manage the relationship better if you help him learn what you and he are dealing with.  With improved skills and techniques - see the workshops here - the confrontations may be less frequent and less triggering to her.  A major part of living in close proximity to a pwBPD is learning how to set and maintain firm boundaries of behavior.  While you and he may not be able to change her, you two can change how you handle contact with her.  That's what boundaries are all about.  Appeasing and compliance don't work, at least not for long.  Firm and practical boundaries - based on what works and on overall insight and awareness - work best.

Thank you for suggestion. I started to explain to my son what BPD is. Thanks
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest