Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 30, 2024, 07:52:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: getting started- Wife Just Diagnosed With BPD  (Read 402 times)
halfstep
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: October 08, 2015, 09:08:13 AM »

I am not sure how to go about finding a therapist and what qustions I should ask.  My wife has been diagnosed with BPD.  Who should I call.

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 05:36:41 PM »

welcome halfstep, getting treatment can be a stop start kind of process, it is better not rushed as you wife has to be fully committed and if you start off up to many blind alleys she can quickly become disallusioned. Here is an overview of the diffferent types of therapies available

Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder: Psychotherapy

You can't do this for her. We can only control us

Take time to read through this site to see what changes you will need to make to you and your approach to the relationship so can you best support her.

Are there any specific aspects that are causing issues at the moment that we could help you with?

Waverider

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
pineapple78

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 06:00:19 AM »

If your talking about for you, then shop around! Here (where I live at least) there are different levels of therapy. A therapist is not as qualified as a psychologist and a clinical psychologist is even more qualified. I would suggest trying to find a clinical psychologist first and you can check with your GP for recommendations to start with. A therapist is likely not going to have enough training to handle something as complex as BPD unless they specialize specifically.

Its also important you feel comfortable with them. I have seen a male psychologist and found I did not really feel comfortable speaking with them. Im not sure if it was because it was a guy and I just feel more comfortable talking to a woman or it comes down to personality and approach, but when I say shop around you need to find a good fit for you. Having said that a good psychologist is not always going to tell you what you want to hear which is a good thing, so keep that in mind.

Also make sure they are going to be reasonably available and book times well in advance. If your like me you have become isolated from others and when a psychologist is the only person you can talk to you want to make sure they are available consistently enough and allow for the odd cancelled appointment. This way you will not be stuck without support when a bad time is happening. Another good point is to find someone someone convenient and local, sometimes close to work is good.

Best of luck!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest