Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 07:39:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: something I have noticed  (Read 379 times)
jasonb

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: September 29, 2015, 11:43:04 AM »

my narcissistic fiancé has managed to isolate me from my support system. However, she has managed to surround me with people that are on "her side'. Even my friends before our relationship seem to be on "her side" through triangulation. any advice on this?
Ceruleanblue

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 11:59:38 AM »

Yes, boundaries. You need to nip this in the bud before it gets any worse. Actively pursue your old support system, and set a boundary around that. Try not to let her triangulate them too. I think they do this due to their insecurity, and their need for control. My BPDh has sort of done this, and my own mother and sister in law(his side), hate to even call me when he's around. That is pretty sad, but I know why it is. They think it will set him off, and sometimes it has.

I should have set a boundary around that much, much sooner, because now I'm paying the price.
OnceConfused

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 10:46:46 PM »

if your friend (i mean YOUR) sides with her, then are they really your friend? I would get away from those "FRIENDS", and find my real friends - people whom I can be comfortable with, whom I can share things, and with whom I don't have to PRETEND.

You need to spend time separately with those friends, without your fiance presence. If she huffs and puffs, then simply set your boundary, by letting her know , "I prefer to have some guy time with those friends, is that OK with you?. If she says NO, then ask "can you share with me your feeling as to why , as a adult, I cannot have my time with my friends?".
Lucky Jim

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 02:03:35 PM »

Hey jasonb, Agree w/Cerulean and OnceConfused: don't allow yourself to become isolated from your support system, because you will lose all perspective.  One of the primary techniques of interrogation and/or brainwashing is to isolate the person.  I should know, because I let my BPDxW isolate me and it can lead to a loss of self, which is not fun, believe me.  Suggest you Get out in front of this issue now by setting firm boundaries.

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest