Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 04:38:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was your journey out of co-dependency like?  (Read 371 times)
Magnolia2

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: October 18, 2015, 08:57:53 AM »

What was it like to recover from co-dependency?  What steps did you take how long was your treatment,  what role did a counselor or therapist play?  I need to work on me and want to know what to expect.

Thanks!
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 06:41:00 AM »

Hi Magnolia, and welcome to this site.

What was my journey out of co-dependency like?

This is a personal journey, one that is different for everyone in terms of personal work, time it takes, but I think it is worth all the effort I gave it.

I don't think it is something we entirely "finish" but it does get better. I think it is a work in progress. Rather than a "finish line" to me it was glimpses of progress- but they were really big steps. For instance, one might be realizing that something that once triggered me, didn't anymore, or if something did, my reaction didn't last as long.

It meant realizing I didn't take something personally, or bite the "bait" to an argument, or jump in to rescue someone.

Or realizing that when I did, I could recognize it, and get myself calm sooner.

It is circular, not a straight line of growth. Sometimes I do better than other times, but the circle spirals away from being co-dependent over time.

Although I had wanted marital counseling for years, my H had refused. When he finally agreed, one of the first things the T recommended for me was a 12 step co-dependency group. I was willing to do anything it took to make things better. I was not happy that she didn't give a recommendation to my H. It felt as if the blame of the marital issues were on me. In retrospect, I realize she must have sensed that I was more motivated to do the personal work it took to change.

I got a sponsor, who at first, scared the daylights out of me. She would not let me get away with any of my old habits. If I complained about my H, or anyone else, she turned that right back on me. Yes, I was angry sometimes. The MT reinforced that. Attending groups scared me too. Who were all these people? Some, I thought didn't have it together, but some did. Eventually though, I got more comfortable with groups too.

I think this has been one of the best investments I made in myself. If I could take one piece of advice it would be to get a sponsor and work sincerely with that sponsor. Having a sponsor to turn the mirror on the parts of me I didn't see- or want to see- and also hold my feet to the fire was essential. I could not have done this for myself- not sure many people can. I don't think it is easy to trust a sponsor to do this, but by doing so, she was able to see where work needed to be done- where I could not see it myself.

ArleighBurke

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: was married - 15 yrs

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 09:14:41 PM »

I read a lot, and had 3 different therapists over about 4yrs. (They all seemed to retire or quit so I had to keep changing... .).

It is certainly a circular process, and I can't believe how long it takes. There are little changes you make, almost without knowing, and i guess it takes a long time for it to become "automatic" in you.

My BPDw hated it. She feels like there is much more "distance" between us and I don't care about her - because I don't react the same way to her, and she can't manipulate me the way she did before. I also don't instantly adopt her emotions now - I choose whether I really feel that way or not.

I, too, feel like I am more distant from her - but I'm not sure why. I feel more "adult" and in control, but I don't have the same burning desire for her i used to. Not sure if that's co-dependent going, or "infatuation". I guess I feel "independent" - comfortable to do my own thing, and concerned about her mood but not "owning" it.

Your journey, your direction. Be the captain!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest