Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 10:24:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unfulfilling to me to have a partner who is unable to discuss my feelings about issues completely unrelated to our relationship  (Read 618 times)
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2015, 01:21:31 PM »

Great quote, Grey Kitty. Dan Savage is one of my heroes.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

wundress

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Married but living separately for now.

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2015, 04:41:21 AM »

My initial thought was that perhaps your husband is on the autistic spectrum? He's obviously super intelligent and as you said, he can talk on subjects he is interested in. Does he know when to stop talking on those subjects? Other people's feelings are scary for people on the autistic spectrum.

Or perhaps as he has an npd father perhaps he just learned as a child that when the parent speaks the child shuts up otherwise there would be consequences?  Perhaps when you try to talk about your feelings he reverts back to childhood?

Could you ask what happens to him emotionally and physically when you tell him about your feelings?

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2015, 06:53:30 PM »

Or perhaps as he has an npd father perhaps he just learned as a child that when the parent speaks the child shuts up otherwise there would be consequences?  Perhaps when you try to talk about your feelings he reverts back to childhood?

Could you ask what happens to him emotionally and physically when you tell him about your feelings?

I don't think he's on the autistic spectrum, more likely I am somewhat Aspergers myself. Actually he seems very socially adept, when he's not feeling like other people don't like him.

I do think you're right that he often reverts to childlike behavior when I talk about my feelings. He totally shuts down at these times and won't share his thoughts and feelings. It's very frustrating for me to try to get him to talk and lately I've learned it's a no-win situation.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
wundress

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2015, 01:59:26 AM »

There are some really good books on the inner child which might be worth having a look at. My wife has the same problem. In fact, at times it appears she has multiple personalities which are stuck at various stages of childhood. This is usually when she dissociates.

At those times I try to communicate to her as if she is a child.

Interesting that you say you are probably asbergers as I'm on the waiting list currently to be assessed for asbergers.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2015, 03:22:27 PM »

There are some really good books on the inner child which might be worth having a look at. My wife has the same problem. In fact, at times it appears she has multiple personalities which are stuck at various stages of childhood. This is usually when she dissociates.

At those times I try to communicate to her as if she is a child.

Interesting that you say you are probably asbergers as I'm on the waiting list currently to be assessed for asbergers.

That's a really good idea, wundress. It's eerie how he does resemble a child sometimes when he dysregulates. I will remember to talk to him with his inner child in mind when he starts going into one of those states. Lately I've learned to catch it before it becomes a full blown dysregulation.

I realize now that being so logical, I could not relate at all to people being out of control emotionally. I thought they should just "snap out of it" which is ironic since I grew up with a BPD mother and realized that she was incapable of doing exactly that. With someone like my husband who is ordinarily so rational--I just couldn't understand why he couldn't just be reasonable--until I learned more about BPD. I had learned a bit about it in grad school, but back then, it was seen as a disorder that was defined by a more extreme presentation. My husband is pretty functional--mostly--at least to the outside world.

I would bet that Aspergers types and BPDs frequently get together. The Aspy might overlook some of the initial signs of BPD and the BPD could feel safe dealing with someone who is more logical and less emotional. The problem starts when the Aspy wants the BPD to drop the crazy emotional stuff and vice versa. My husband has gotten mad at me because I wasn't as upset about something as he thought I should be. 

wundress

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2015, 03:11:46 AM »

I was thinking the same about BPD and aspies.  I'm quite an emotional person but have extremely high anxiety and struggle badly with social situations. Although I tend to get the aspie "tantrums/meltdowns" I am extremely logical when it comes to others people's feelings and struggle to see why other people are not.

When it comes to my pwBPD I find her emotions quite frightening. I also like things "just so" and if plans change I find it very upsetting and disconcerting

She also surrounds herself with superficial friends and likes to be in social situations where she can pretend to be someone else and doesnt have to tell them anything whereas i would rather stay in. I her traits are common for BPD and our opposites can be both an attraction and balance but at the same time can cause lots of arguments. That's where our marriage counselling comes in.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2015, 10:49:41 AM »

I was thinking the same about BPD and aspies.  I'm quite an emotional person but have extremely high anxiety and struggle badly with social situations... I am extremely logical when it comes to others people's feelings and struggle to see why other people are not... .

When it comes to my pwBPD I find her emotions quite frightening.

wundress, the above quote easily described me many years ago before I did any therapy. I was absolutely terrified going into social situations--it was like torture. Now, it's not my preferred domain, but I make it into a game for myself. One of my friends said that she tries to figure out something fascinating about everyone she speaks with. I think working as a reporter for a few years really helped me overcome the overwhelming shyness that I had as a young person. And I'm especially good when I'm in a one-on-one situation. I can get nearly anyone talking (except my husband) and really enjoy my interactions with people. In groups, I find that I'm a bit more awkward, but I'm definitely working on that. I guess the biggest shift is being curious about others rather than worrying about how inappropriate I'm being. Now I just chalk up any social faux pas I might make to "being quirky" and let it go. I enjoy laughing at myself rather than beating myself up, like I used to. (For that reason, it's difficult to be around my husband sometimes because he frequently beats himself up about totally inconsequential incidents and he will swear under his breath.)

I think I'm much less emotional now than I used to be. When I heard the concept of the "middle road" when I was in college, I thought it sounded boring and that I liked the highs and lows. Now I live the middle road and I like it. I never was outwardly emotionally expressive--just because I didn't trust people (that BPD mother's influence) and I didn't want to give them any ammunition to use against me (great poker face).

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest