Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 06:58:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bore her soul  (Read 396 times)
Scopikaz

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: December 23, 2015, 12:08:48 PM »

I'm not totally sure my ex gf has BPD but she has many characteristics.  Bad childhood.  Feelings of worthlessness.  Two failed marriages.  Another really bad relationship between those two. Lost custody of children to first husband.  Jealous.  Needy. Insecure.  Rushed into our relationship.   Drinks though not alcoholic.  Promiscuous I'd say.  Plays victim well. Mentions if it wasn't for her children she'd end her life.  Emotional immaturity (had meltdown at my friends where she angrily chewed me out over issues in our relationship). Threatened to leave a couple of times before. Then left very suddenly after 1 1/2 years together and 7 months of living together.

That said I could have communicated better. Paid more attention to her. Not been so self absorbed as she said.  And early on I gave her reason to be jealous.   

But I also treated her so good too in so many ways.

Anyhow. It's been over a month and I'm still depressed.  And I can't help but think now this beautiful creature bore her soul to me about her hurts. Her past. Her fears. Etc. I don't think she lied about any of it. And rather than honoring her more, I was selfish, made her jealous early on, and allowed the few fights we had to get overly emotional.

In short I didn't appreciate the full gift I had in her.

Tomorrow we are meeting to exchange a Christmas gift and for lunch. I am mentally and emotionally preparing myself that this will be the last time I ever see her or hear from her again. I haven't done well in detaching. Contacted her too much the past month. But am

Slowly detaching and reaching out much less the past couple of days.

She needs her space. She's on her journey.  She's hitting singles type bars with girl she's living with who's ten years younger than her.  So she's moved on. I need to as well.
VitaminC

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 02:07:11 PM »

Scopikaz,

Good luck. It's a hard road, but many here have taken it and made it.

There are many great resources on this site. I found a lot of the stuff here really helpful: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=56204.0

I finally understand my own part in the relationship I recently ended. I see how I became so sucked in and also why I stayed (left and kept returning) long beyond what was remotely healthy. I knew it all but kept doubting myself, my own reasons, my own actions (which were not perfect, not fully adult, in their own way).

In the end I understood that I'd learned enough and had to continue learning by myself for a while; that the lessons of the relationship had all been completed and now it was time to process them by myself and not expose myself to the confusion and toxicity any longer.

There's a lot of sadness in leaving a relationship, especially if you feel you haven't done everything you could, that you somehow failed the other person. Sometimes that is true, due to our own limitations, we just couldn't. That is what made me go back even after the confession of cheating. Finding out it had been going on for months, rather than a once-off during a break in our relationship, changed things for me. Not enough to make me leave right away though. I had to give it enough time to sink in, for me to realise how deeply disrespectful that was, how immature and selfish. Once I realised that I could never trust him again, I knew in my heart it was over.

There are always so many details, so many sharings and moments and vulnerabilities that we cherish about our partners. If we are 'good' people, then the knowledge that we've not honoured the other, as you put it, hurts us. That's a sign of caring and health in you, I think.

But be careful of blaming yourself. We do what we can with whatever we have in us at the time. Even if we've not done our so-called best, we did the best we could right then. And sometimes that's all we have and all there is.

I've burst into tears a few times in the last few days, whenever I think of the last moment I saw him, after I told him it was finally the end of the road for me. He stood with a crumpled shopping bag in his hand, looking at the ground, his shoulders slumped. For me, those physical signs of his inner pain are almost unbearable, because I'm an empath and I cared a very great deal for this person and saw his fragility and confusion and the potential for so much beauty in his soul.

Or so I think.

This is also someone who became vicious when I asked for simple information about the nature of the infidelity. Who blocked my attempts to understand, once his initial remorse wore off (rather quickly). Who got defensive and treated our conversations like they were a court room drama, rather than an attempt for two people to agree on the language they could use to understand each other. Who will experience a few days of gnawing loneliness and then hook up with someone else. I know this.

This truth must stand aside the other one. The wounded creature and the vicious liar; they are both true.

I understand your sadness.

Newton

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 03:23:45 PM »

Scopikaz  ... .I'm sorry you are feeling so down about this breakup, a month isn't a long time out... .healing from any relationship we emotionally invest in is really tough... .BPD adds a whole other level to the confusion and pain.  

I think it's important you don't beat yourself up too much dwelling that she "bore her soul" to you.  The 'waif' archetype creates a heady mix for caring empathetic people... .have you had a chance to look at this aspect of the disorder?... .
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest