Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 07:44:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Here... Convinced My husband has BPD  (Read 594 times)
jbkt16

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2015, 08:58:53 AM »

The temporary trial goes before a judge here.  What is a magistrate?  Sorry for the ignorance.

A magistrate is a type of judge -- usually someone with less authority or reach, more likely to hear minor offenses or pre-trial type of hearings.

So your process is different than where I live. In my state, temporary orders were supposed to be dealt with in mediation first. Some states have mandatory mediation, others have sort-of mandatory mediation, like mine. I don't know if one is any better than the other.

There is always room to negotiate, even if there isn't a lot of money. For example, getting the debts squared away will be an important issue. Getting your name off the lease, etc. Make sure you know who is responsible for what debt, and then any debt that you are both responsible for, negotiate (initially) that he pays for it, knowing that if you become responsible for it, that means it will get paid and not wreck your credit. Then, if you owe him any money, pay down the debt out of that money. I hope that makes sense. Don't be hard on yourself if all of this seems daunting and confusing -- it is daunting and confusing, and on top of it, you're going through a divorce. I found it hard to decide whether to brush my teeth first before showering or wait until after    The flooding stress and emotions will pass eventually. This initial stage is hard for everyone.

Be prepared for him to ask for 50/50 or more, even if you know it's absurd. Lawyers will encourage him to ask for this. And he will be told that it means no child support if it's 50/50. I think it's called Expanded Standard Possession Schedule where you are. Since you moved out of the marital home, be resolute about your concerns with safety. You'll be tempted to downplay the safety concerns if you're like a lot of us (we can get numb). I mentioned in my case that I had serious concerns about my son being witness to escalating verbal abuse and instability in the home. My ex tended to throw things and punch walls -- he never hit me. This is all still abuse. Some of us downplay abuse and categorize it -- hitting with hands is abuse, everything else is not, for example. In court, if you are scared for your safety, and don't want your kids to be exposed to abuse, that's important to say.

Thank you so much for your help!  It is so nice to have somewhere to go to ask questions... .  The lawyers act like I did something wrong by leaving the home, but staying there was setting myself up for being harassed, and setting my kids up to watch it.  Knowing he has escalated in the past I was NOT sure that I was safe physically there, and certainly not emotionally.  He made it really clear that "he had a right to come there anytime he wanted to" since he was on the lease and there were no orders or anything.

I am pretty sure it is a judge doing the trial, but I guess I will need to ask the lawyer.  She hasn't mentioned anything about mediation before then.  If it is required, I don't know about it.  I would be glad to try to work something out before the temporary orders, but I don't think he is willing to do much / if any "working things out".  I think the debt is going to be fairly straight forward, but there is more debt in my name than his, there really isn't much joint anything.  The only real joint accounts we have are the cars.  That will be obvious how to split. 

Right now I currently have the kids on my health insurance.  Is it a good idea to keep it that way next year, or should I request that he take over having him on his insurance, especially if I end up with more debt?  I don't trust that he would pay any debt assigned to him in my name.  I think I would rather take on all the debt in my name, and have him make up for it in some other way (like paying insurance).  Any input on this?  Thanks again!
JaneStorm

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2015, 10:11:39 AM »

Mine was ordered to cover the kids' health care coverage. He didn't. Another way to hurt me. I just covered them myself, rather than engage in endless court dates (that he would postpone or not show up).

"You are the love of my life
You are the love of my life
You were the love of my life
This time we know, we know
It's over..."
Thin Line - Macklemore
jbkt16

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2016, 08:01:24 PM »

Update: We were supposed to have a court temporary hearing on Jan 11th, but it was cancelled because the court was soo busy that day.

So I am back in waiting to have any orders in place. He is about to be back in season (baseball coach) and will be unavailable to be around the kids as much as he has over the holidays. I am going to tell him I want to start following standard order until our court date. It is really the only thing that makes sense, I have always been their caretaker, and he is crazy busy... .I am so afraid he could get week on / week off, I think that is what he is asking for. Prayers please!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest