Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 03:41:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The four horsemen  (Read 349 times)
Leena

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: March 28, 2016, 01:49:13 AM »

I have been with my uBPDh for 13 years now. About 6 months ago I realised he might have BPD, but we have been in a high conflict relationship for 12 of those years and sometimes I don't know how much more I can take.

I read the four horsemen and I think we are somewhere between 3/4, I am scared this is only going to end one way and very badly. At best I might divorce him but lose out financially and probably have to leave the children. Which I can't do, they need somebody reasonably stable in their life.

I think I need to start counselling, to help me find ways to resolve the conflicts. In them I have to back down otherwise he threatens our financial and social security. He is not violent, but he is horribly disrespectful and hurtful.

He also says I deserve this! I want this! I make him say these things! There is no way of reasoning with me! Our children hearing these fights is all my fault! They will be ruined and it is all my fault! He will ruin us because it is the only way for him to get me to listen! In addition to the hurtful disrespectful names he calls me.

All of this after hrs of yes some justifying but mostly apologising and accepting the blame.

Days like today I don't want to be here anymore, but I know it is not always like this and it does flatten out again and sometimes is good.

Do you know the joke is we argued last night and he went to bed angry again, this morning he starts of good

I know you take the burden in this relationship and you do the majority of the work for the children and the house but... .and then he winds himself up to the point where he is calling me names again.

Even when he is calmed about the actual problem at hand he will then find a way back to the old issues about my driving being rubbish and or the fact it took 5 yrs into out marriage to have our first pregnancy all my fault... .why would I want to make love to a man when he does 180s on a regular basis - it does not make it easy to conceive - but I take the blame for that too and yes I could have made more efforts as well, I appreciate that. But now we have 2 children through IVF which again I had to do all the work for - the pills, injections, extra appointments, but that didn't matter they were successfull and I have 2 beautiful children. I just wish sometimes he could try to see my side but he never will and I just have to accept that.

Sorry for the random rant ... .My thoughts are all over the place I just had to get them down.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 08:15:11 AM »

It really is tough.

Especially when nobody seems to understand what you are going through, and doubly so when he's saying things that if you believe them would have you doubting all your own feelings and would make you the crazy one.

I think I need to start counselling, to help me find ways to resolve the conflicts. In them I have to back down otherwise he threatens our financial and social security. He is not violent, but he is horribly disrespectful and hurtful.

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) Getting counseling for yourself sounds like an excellent idea. If you can, please do.

Meanwhile, try to take care of yourself.

Can you describe one of the typical / repeated conflicts you have with him in more detail, especially before it turns into a big fight? We have tools to reduce conflict here... .and I find that the best way to learn these tools is to apply them to a very concrete situation.

Leena

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 05:02:59 PM »

Typical repeated conflicts here are several

I take my handbag most places, well i am a woman!, inside is the usual including my wallet with all my credit cards because my uBPDh does not carry all his cards and if we go somewhere where he wants to use a specific one it is my fault if we don't have it. However the flip side is sometimes I have my handbag in places where maybe the whole thing is too much and it might be unsafe e.g. A children's soft play area. So when he realises I have had my bag there the whole time when all I needed was some cash he asks me what kind of imbecile takes there whole bag in and instead of replying with 'yes that was silly of me I should have rearranged myself and just taken cash' I reply with 'well how else was I going to pay? '. That started a 45min abusive monologue pretty much with the occasional sorry thrown in. Followed by a three hr sleep from him where he left me with both the kids.

We go to his mums, where we usually have dinner with the kids, bath them and get them ready for bed and then go home. Most nights this takes 2 hrs or so. But I have a 1 and 3 yr old and things don't always go to plan. Sometimes my 3 yr old can be pretty awkward which can lengthen proceedings. But if things are not going fast enough he will start chiming me along and if by the third 'can we go now' we are not getting anywhere he will most likely explode at me. Tell me how I do not lay down the law with our three yr old and how I don't move fast enough and how it is all my fault we had a fight in front of his mum. This usually goes on until we manage to go to bed, he then usually wakes 'exhausted' and proceeds to abuse me again until he leave s for work. Sometimes I may get an apology by mid morning but more often than not I get nothing except by the end of the day he is talking to me normally again.

My driving

I drive 12000 miles per year too and from work and nursery mainly at rush hr in difficult traffic. He drives about 2000 miles a year on the wkend. I have had minor accidents, I am not proud of it, I have probably had more than most, but than every day I am on tenterhooks trying not to do the wrong thing in multiple different situations with him. But if he is in the car with me he will critique my driving I went round that corner not wide enough, I did not pull in quickly enough before the bridge, I am driving too close to the car in front, even when I direct his parking I am standing in the wrong place or I am not giving clear enough instructions. I used to resent this to be honest I prob still do, but I try to acknowledge my mistake now and correct it but he will find a facial expression, or my tone to be insincere and he will explode.

These are just a few of the predictable ones so I prefer not to go to play areas with him and I have prepared a smaller jean pocket sized wallet for the times I am out with him, to either ask him to go straight home after work and I will sort the kids or make sure he has his car too so he can go home as soon as he wants, and preferably not do the driving if we both have to be in the car. I know that is not perfect but I am just trying to minimise the predictable rages.

There are old hurts which all these situations eventually bring up in him including

1. The long wait for children his father never got to see our second child. He loves to tell me my mother deserved to never see our first child - she died a year before he was born.

2. My driving and the nu of accidents I have had even if this is not the reason for the argument

3. The time 10 yrs ago we changed 4 tyres on the car we had at the time when only one had a puncture. I am still not sure how this is my fault, as this was his decision but apparently I waste money.

4. How I made him like this he never used to be so bold as to be loud and abusive and not to care what others think.

Just as an aside following yesterday's tirade, he must have felt guilty he bought me a £130 watch and even got my 3 yr old to help wrap it up. But tbh I don't know anymore. Maybe he is really just a manipulative sob, who knows he has a good deal and can threaten me to stay in line.

I just feel so tired of the same circular arguments, some/most of the stuff he says doesn't make sense, but I still have to agree with it. Eventually whether it be in 1 yr or 20yrs I will start believing it because I won't know anything else... .

Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 09:34:09 PM »

OK, that is a lot of situations... .and there is a lot you can do to improve things. I'm going to start with a general idea that applies to many of those situations:

He launches into circular arguments, long abusive monologues, or criticizes you, either about something happening right now, or he's throwing all the old stuff and the kitchen sink at you. I'm going to lump all this into the category of verbal/emotional abuse.

One of the best tools you have is boundary enforcement, and I almost always recommend starting working on enforcing boundaries against raging / verbal abuse / criticism before you work on other boundaries... .because if you try to enforce another boundary, he is likely to launch into a rage... .so you need to have the tools to deal with that. So it is a great starting point. You can read more about boundary enforcement here:

BOUNDARIES: Upholding our values and independence

BOUNDARIES: Case studies

One key thing about boundary enforcement is that it is in the form of "When you do X, I will do Y to protect myself", not in the form of ":)o not do X". In fact, actually telling him you will be enforcing boundaries isn't even needed in many cases. In this case, try this one on for size:

If you start raging/verbal abuse/emotional abuse/criticizing me, I will leave the conversation.

The first action to enforce this can be stating "I will not be spoken to that way."

If he continues, you can leave the room, or if you are on the phone, say good bye and hang up.

If he follows you to the another room, leave the house.

If he blocks you from leaving or follows you, there are more options you can take... .but this is a start. Caring for young children in these situations is another complication... .but this is a start.

While getting the kids ready to go to his mum's place, if he explodes, one response would be "I'm not going to listen to this. I'm leaving right now for a walk. Get the kids ready yourself if you want to take them to your mum's place." And walk out the door and go. I'm assuming that his raging is just at you, and not aimed at the kids... .Don't do this if it would endanger your kids!

Criticism while driving. I personally got criticized for my driving by my wife a lot, and it really triggered me and pissed me off. I'm a good driver; she is an excellent one, better than I am. I found it particularly infuriating that she would directly criticize me, but when her aging father (who had been a good driver when a bit younger) would drive worse, and she never criticized him. Anyhow, this was ongoing, and really touched a nerve in me.

One time (long before I knew anything about BPD or had better tools), I accidentally stumbled onto a pretty good response. We were out somewhere. I got one too many pieces of criticism of my driving. I pulled over, parked, got out of the car, and walked home. It was a few miles. On leaving I probably said something about not being able to take any more.

I'd recommend that you pull over (safely) onto the side of the road or into a parking lot, as soon as you can and state that you will not drive while he is criticizing your driving. And wait for him to apologize or at least indicate that he is done. Same thing about verbal/emotional abuse while driving.

If it is a problem, avoiding being in a car with him may be necessary to keep yourself safe from verbal abuse. It is better if you are driving, because you can pull over and stop, or even get out of the car and walk. If he is driving, you are trapped in the car with him.

Whew, this got kinda long, and I'm pretty sure I didn't get to a few things. Consider it a start, and feel free to ask for more support on anything I missed.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest