Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 06:57:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hoping it's not too late.  (Read 581 times)
Mummyfixit

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: March 15, 2016, 10:48:15 PM »

Hi, my husband of ten years walked out in early Feb. Last year was a particularly difficult year for us as I worked away from home and he worked and looked after the kids and did all the things a parent does. It is only now that I am realising that he felt abandoned and I did not validate his efforts enough.

Currently he seems to hate me, but I have been JADE ing. I am currently frantically reading everything I can about how I can change. I so want to work through this with him, initially he said we could then he said our situation is irreversible, I'm hoping by showing him my new understanding that he may feel able to try to work on our marriage.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 11:13:27 PM »

Who has the kids now?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
C.Stein

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 06:10:23 AM »

Welcome 

Why do you think he feels the situation is irreversible?
Mummyfixit

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 08:01:44 AM »

The kids are with me, at our house. He has our son to stay every 2nd weekend and takes our son and my son, whom he raised out for dinner fort nightly.

Our only communication is text. Initially via text he agreed to try working on our relationship and went to counselling. A week later he text me that I don't think there is a problem therefor our situation is irreversible. I have been attending counselling since he left.
C.Stein

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 08:10:33 AM »

A week later he text me that I don't think there is a problem therefor our situation is irreversible. I have been attending counselling since he left.

Why do you think he feels you don't think there is a problem?  Does he feel there is a problem with you? 
sweetheart

Relationship status: Married, together 11 years. Not living together since June 2017, but still in a relationship.

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 10:08:28 AM »

Hi Mummyfixit, for your husband to just up and leave after 10 years despite you being aware there were problems must have been very painful for you all, and a shock.

I can hear how much you want to try and sort things out, counselling is a good place to start exploring some of the issues and problems you have been facing. Accessing support can be a positive focus that can help ground you throughout this time when you may be feeling overwhelmed and confused.

What brings you to bpdfamily, you are of course very welcome, does your h have BPD, or there indicators that make you think he might?

Mummyfixit

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 08:38:34 PM »

C.Stein. He text me saying our situation was irreversible because I didn't think there was a problem. He has a list of my problems, lots of our history he is twisting to make ugly. He says I killed the relationship. It's like he has forgotten the real me, and he hates me.
Mummyfixit

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 08:51:18 PM »

I think he feels that I don't think there is a problem because I have been defending myself, logically and pointing out where he has contributed to our issues... .he is not able to take this on board. I have also stepped right away and stopped doing any of the little things I used to do to keep his life in order. I have not interfered in his relationship with our son, but I have not set up anything either. He was angry about that and I said I was not his mother, not even his wife anymore, and he had to sort out his own relationship with his son. He sees this as parental alienation.

He left me, I'm evil and a narcissist he claims but he expects me to still be supportive. So confusing! If I don't support I'm abandoning, if I do I'm needy and pathetic.
C.Stein

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 07:30:47 AM »

Dealing with borderlines can be challenging, even on a good day.    Have you read any of the articles and workshops available here?  These might help you with your understanding of the disorder and how to be more effective in dealing with it.

You can start here, the other articles are listed on the right side.

https://bpdfamily.com/content/setting-boundaries

Once you read those you might find it helpful to find appropriate workshops to further hone your knowledge and communication skills.

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?board=36.0;sort=views;desc

You will find that defending yourself (JADE-ing) generally will lead to increased conflict, especially with a borderline.  I recommend if you don't have time to read all the material you at least look into communication skills and validation.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Mummyfixit

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 05:17:22 PM »

Thanks. I've been reading the lessons and workshops.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 09:59:37 AM »

I can see how it would feel like a double bind -- he is saying there is a problem, you are saying there is no problem, which makes him feel you are disagreeing (a problem for him  . And if you agree that there is a problem, then he *wins* the argument that there is indeed a problem. Up is down and down and up.

What steps has he taken (if any) to move more seriously toward divorce? That might help us understand whether he wants to genuinely go through with this intention.

My ex husband talked about divorce for years and I look back now and see that he had no intention of going through with it. Many BPD sufferers lack the skills to repair and recover after breaches in trust and intimacy. There is an underdevelopment of emotional skill that means we have to become the emotional leaders. He likely has only limited skills to deal with his sadness and fears, and they have the unfortunate habit of making things worse for him (and you).

Your instinct is to probably appease him and defend yourself (a very human response) against these accusations. You likely want to change his mind and prove to him that you love him. Unfortunately, this instinct can make things worse -- repairing a BPD relationship is often not intuitive.

It could be that he is completely done, though there is also a chance he will respond to validation and begin to feel your attempts to reach him empathically. It could mean accepting and acknowledging that he feels there is a problem in the relationship. I found this article on validating questions to be very helpful, especially when there are false allegations (because sometimes a well-phrased validating question can work double duty -- for one, it is validating, and two, it puts the responsibility on him to find a solution, instead of you trying to turn yourself into knots trying to guess what will fix the problem).

Breathe.
Mummyfixit

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 05:18:01 AM »

Hi Livednlearned. In Australia divorce cannot even be applied for until a separation has been 12 months and if children are involved working with a mediator is required. Divorce has not been mentioned by either of us. Thanks for the validating questions link.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 04:18:02 PM »

Hi Livednlearned. In Australia divorce cannot even be applied for until a separation has been 12 months and if children are involved working with a mediator is required. Divorce has not been mentioned by either of us. Thanks for the validating questions link.

There is a 12-month period where I live, too. Although here (not sure if it's different?), we file for a temporary order, which basically becomes a permanent order. Then, after 12 months, the divorce decree is granted, which was almost anti-climatic compared to the stress of getting that temporary order worked out. The temporary order included child support, custody, visitation, alimony, and pretty much everything else that had legal implications.

Breathe.
Mummyfixit

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 07:44:22 PM »

He is renting a room about 2km away( mind you it's a very small town). Communication from him is about our son or things he needs from the house.

I gave him a letter validating his feelings and reasons for leaving and asking him to consider working with me to put our family back together but he has not responded nor even mentioned it. Im assuming silence means NO.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 11:53:43 AM »

Well, maybe silence means he isn't sure yet what he can and cannot do. The BPD people in my life are not very good at acknowledging apologies or vulnerability, often there is a begrudging acceptance through clues that they remain receptive.

It is a good sign that he continues to talk to you. Is it talking? Or is there any rage/abuse in the communications? When he gets things from the house, does he do so when you are there? Are these items that he could pick up without telling you? 

Breathe.
Mummyfixit

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 04:31:02 PM »

Hi Livednlearned.

He has no access to the house, he handed me the keys when he left. He still has lots of things here, well legally 1/2 of everything is his (Aus). Until recently he kept saying he would arrange transport to take the last of his things, but he has not mentioned this in about a fortnight. Communications, all text, contained lots of rage up until about a fortnight ago, but have been polite since then. He is also "over" explaining things eg instead of just asking for his birth certificate he explained he is applying for a second job, and the hours it would be (?).  In person he seems uncomfortable, like he can't get away fast enough.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 06:16:06 PM »

He has no access to the house, he handed me the keys when he left.

This seems to suggest he is not quite ready to cut ties?

Communications, all text, contained lots of rage up until about a fortnight ago, but have been polite since then. He is also "over" explaining things eg instead of just asking for his birth certificate he explained he is applying for a second job, and the hours it would be (?).

He wants approval, is my guess. Maybe not explicitly, tho. He may not have the awareness that he's seeking approval. I wonder if he is working out a similar issue that happened in his family of origin? Was he kicked out of his parents' house by any chance?

In person he seems uncomfortable, like he can't get away fast enough.

Any thoughts or insights into what might be going on with that?

Breathe.
Mummyfixit

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 08:11:53 PM »

I agree, Livednlearned, that he is seeking approval, which sort of says he still cares how I feel(?). I'm trying not to expect anything from his seeming reduction in hostility, but inside I am doing a happy dance. I'm trying to be friendly, cooperative, validating and supportive. I'm also reading lots and thinking about my own boundaries and contributions to flare ups. No JADEing, practicing SET etc. I'm also swimming and running so I actually look better than I have for years
Mummyfixit

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 10:50:11 AM »

I text upwBPDex the time for our son's parent teacher interview and he asked to come along. Today was the first time we have been together in public for nearly 2 months! After the meeting I invited him for a drink. We talked about inconsequential things for a while and then I broached the subject of my letter. He went through all his perceived slights, and some were quite true and rational. I acknowledged my behaviours and validated his emotional responses. His counselling has given him some insight into the effect his foo had/has upon him.

He doesn't hate me, but said he is mentally and emotionally exhausted... .he looked it too. He felt he was too exhausted to work on our issues. I left that sit for a while and we discussed other things before I came back to it. Sorting our mess out doesn't have to be emotionally exhausting, we've already started communicating and listening I pointed out. I saw and felt a shift in him, like an epiphany rippled through him. I added that we needed to find each other again and we had lots to work through and plenty of time to do that. He added we could attend counselling and go out together.

So the upshot is that tonight I am feeling relief and thankfulness at having found this site. Things may still go completely pear shaped, but I may just have a chance to build a new relationship with my husband.
Mummyfixit

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2016, 07:42:54 AM »

Well, I thought things were going well. He came for dinner last night and we had a lovely evening but today he is distant again. Talked on the phone and he said he had to go and would ring back... .of course he hasn't rung back. I could be reading too much into it. I guess either he really has no intention of working through our problems or something happened and he has a valid reason for not ringing me. Too painful...
livednlearned
Retired Staff

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2016, 11:00:50 AM »

Well, I thought things were going well. He came for dinner last night and we had a lovely evening but today he is distant again. Talked on the phone and he said he had to go and would ring back... .of course he hasn't rung back. I could be reading too much into it. I guess either he really has no intention of working through our problems or something happened and he has a valid reason for not ringing me. Too painful...

The roller coaster can be very painful, things are good one day then bad the next. It's human to be hurt by this behavior.

It's also pretty status quo for someone who struggles to regulate his emotions. If he is new to therapy, it's also possible that new things are coming up that are hard to deal with.

Do you feel able to let go of his distance (and not ringing back) and be light with him next time he surfaces?

Breathe.
Mummyfixit

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2016, 12:08:34 PM »

Yes, it's just so hard to know if what he says when we are together is true. I need to stop over thinking, analysing and second guessing.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2016, 01:01:51 PM »

Yes, it's just so hard to know if what he says when we are together is true. I need to stop over thinking, analysing and second guessing.

It probably is true when he is together. Then, BPD roller coaster takes him somewhere else, and then that feeling is true at that point in time. I believe we are wired for connection and it is more likely than not he wants you in his life because that is written into his very DNA: to bond and be with close others. BPD makes that hard for him, so he swings wildly back and forth. The key is to learn skills to ground yourself, and you've had a real go this time around because he dropped the Divorce bomb and moved out. Though, as you've seen, his pendulum will swing back and you can have nice times together.

I wonder if it might help to get yourself a DBT workbook? I found it helpful to practice some of the skills and model them myself not only for my own wellbeing but for others. DBT = dialectical behavior therapy. There are four sections, and the ones that I remember off the top of my head (and were most helpful) include distress tolerance and mindfulness.

Breathe.
Mummyfixit

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2016, 02:05:39 AM »

I think that's a great idea. I've made bullet points when I read walking on egg shells and When hope is not enough. A lot of the skills that I use as a teacher, which possibly explains why we lasted so long without a huge melt down. BTW... .it is me overthinking, he worked today and is on his way over now. Ive just got to trust and go with the flow.

We are going on holiday with our son tomorrow. Smiling (click to insert in post)
livednlearned
Retired Staff

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2016, 08:25:14 AM »

We are going on holiday with our son tomorrow. Smiling (click to insert in post)

I hope you have a nice time together.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Breathe.
Mummyfixit

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2016, 09:07:14 AM »

I intend to.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest