Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 11:41:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wow...I wasn't aware of the term BPD, but knew all the traits  (Read 340 times)
nwnewstart
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: May 03, 2016, 03:07:46 PM »

Ok, I am going through the break up of a relationship that was about 12 years and looking back it was a rocky ride.  We went through these cycles, that were anywhere from 3 weeks to a few months, where the relationship was the best she would be so attentive and loving, and then out of nowhere (and often fueled by alcohol)  she would have this vehement anger or she would go through days of debilitating isolating depression, and three or four times a year she would run off for a few days to a few weeks.

Looking back I feel like I was the frog in the pot of cold water, and as the temperature turned up I really wasn't aware -- I couldn't see it.  She came into my life in a way that kind of took over - she helped with some business stuff, she helped with my daughter, and other things -- but then she would get very passive aggressive and resentful. She had me convinced that I wasn't really trying in the relationship.  We tried three or four counselors --- she showed up to one counseling session drunk, that should have been enough of a red flag.

I have known that things weren't right for some time, but didn't know what it was. About seven months ago we had a particularly bad incident. We had plans to go out one night, and when I came home and she had been drinking. When I tried to talk to her about being drunk (I know bad idea) she really turned up the volume and created about 2 hours of intense drama.  That incident really made me realize that I couldn't trust her, and trust is really the foundation of a healthy relationship.  The drama continued for a few days, and I finally made the decision that we needed to separate.  That was seven months ago and the communication has been very sporadic and inconsistent. I am still very much in the stage of trying to untangle myself emotionally.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 10:26:33 PM »

hi nwnewstart and Welcome

alcoholism and BPD can each make for a pretty volatile relationship. put them together, and you have a pretty mean cocktail that exacerbates traits of the disorder, and the two issues fuel each other. unfortunately this is not uncommon, and im very sorry to hear you experienced it  .

a frog in the pot is a good analogy that i think many of us can relate to. presumably all of us had the best of intentions. it sounds like you gave it your all. thats something to be commended for.

how is the sporadic and inconsistent communication going? you say you are separated and trying to untangle yourself emotionally (that must be hard); whats the status of the relationship?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest