Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 10:18:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm being recycled  (Read 418 times)
josephrl82

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: May 12, 2016, 09:27:24 PM »

So my ex BPDgf called me out of the blue the other day and read a script she had written about not contacting her.  when I replied with just a simple "ok" she broke down and said that she didn't mean any of it.  We talked for about 30 minutes before she demanded that I meet her half way between our home towns and get a hotel.  I foolishly agreed to her demands.

We ended up having the greatest night ever!  Now she wants to move back to my home town and try to make it work again.  If you have read any of my previous posts you will know that she has been extremely physically and emotionally abusive toward me.  She is also pregnant with my child (assuming it is mine.  We have split up and got back together so many times I have lost count.

Do I let this recycle happen knowing the predetermined outcome so I can get my fix of her again?  Or do I stand strong and let go of my fear of losing her for good?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 11:27:07 PM »

Passive voice here, or active voice?  Being cool (click to insert in post)

Does your fear of losing her keep you from accepting your active role in a recycle?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 09:47:15 AM »

Hi josephrhl82,

It sounds like you two have a history of on again/off again.

Excerpt
do I stand strong and let go of my fear of losing her for good?

Standing strong is actually imperative in order for this relationship to make it. Standing strong means being able to assert your boundaries consistently. Learning to validate and use SET (support, empathy, truth) and other communication skills helps mitigate the conflict, and boundaries are there to make sure you are safe.  

Boundaries might mean you have a safety plan when she becomes physically abusive. You might remove yourself when she becomes physically violent. You might call the police. Being consistent means that you follow through with consequences so she can learn from them. If you don't follow through, she pushes the boundaries more, and never discovers limits. A lot of BPD people want someone strong to help them with this weakness.

Turkish asked a good question. I would add the question: what are you going to do different knowing that she is likely going to be the same?

Breathe.
josephrl82

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 08:52:58 PM »

That is a very good question!  I keep going over in my head how I can prevent being accused and abused again!  I can't come up with a good answer!  I feel like I have tried everything!  I begged and pleaded at first, but it didn't seem to do me any good.  Then I started to assert myself and that seemed to make it worse!  It was almost as if she saw it as a challenge!  Our worst breakup was when I demanded an apology and pointed out all of the atrocities she has committed against me!  Especially the mental abuse incidents!

I'm not sure what other options I have to persue!  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 09:20:46 PM »

Have you seen this?

Thanks, AJ, for your comments on this.  

What you are saying is that, in effect, re-engaging is about the non... .what he/she still needs to deal with... .vs. the person with BPD.  Many nons aren't really over the person with BPD and they really don't want to be.  

I see what's wrong with me now. I break it off, I want it gone, but the moment i think it IS gone, I go reaching out in whatever capacity. Codependent? Passive aggressive? I'm so tired of all this BS in my head.

Reneehsv wrote this above, and it is often true of the nons who post here.

We may want the BPD in our life to embrace recovery from BPD, but our job is to embrace recovery from our nonness.  Most who are/have posted here have issues of our own to deal with... .  As that poster mentions, codependency, passive-aggressive tendencies, rescuing/enabling tendencies, etc.  ... .  Unless we deal with the difficult "stuff" within us, the relationship will go downhill even if they do get back with us/get help/etc.   

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
KarmasReal

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 11:22:11 AM »

Hey man,

I feel your pain and struggle on this. I've been the thought the recycles and break ups/make ups several times myself. I've asked myself the same questions "what can I do to keep my self respect and stop the abuses this time". I've tried everything being open, honest, and loving to being distant, cold, and uncaring. And every time she managed to eventually find a way to get to me. Whatever guards or games you think you can play the BPD will find the weakness and exploit it, they have a gift for it. I know how good the "fix" is with your BPD partner but you know where it will lead... .to pain, another breakup, maybe another recycle and then more pain and devaluation. You will reach a point to where your physical health will be in peril from such a roller coaster of emotions for such a long time. Or your recycles will end, because of her not you. Either way you already know the answer, be strong and stay away, you and your well being should be the only important thing, that lasts forever your "fix" doesn't. Stay strong.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest