Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 12:39:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Knew Better  (Read 483 times)
atomic popsicles

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: June 28, 2016, 10:40:38 PM »

I talked with him last night. He seemed non-delusional. Missed me, loved me, whatever. So dumb me, I went to bed fantasizing of making this work, blah blah blah. 4 hours later I got a text from him that about mind control and the same allegations that I was playing him or complicit in some grand 20 years hoax against him.

I got angry. So, I called him and asked him point blank about the divorce. He doesn't know, he's trying not to be homeless. I think he has literally given it no thought.

I think I am going insane! I don't understand mental illness. I don't want to hurt anymore!
JerryRG

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 10:47:31 PM »

Hello ap

I went to an Alanon meeting tonight, I have 3 devotions I read for Alanon and 2 for AA.

The Alanon readings were about helping ourselves because if we wait for the others to get well before we do, it may never happen. I hung on to my relationship for 4 years in the hope things would improve, I improved myself and she's still the same. I would be lost if I were still back there with her.

I hope I helped, I'm new to this too.

Reforming

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 05:54:58 AM »

Hi Atomic,

I realise that things are very hard right now. I found the first few weeks after separating overwhelming and any contact very upsetting.

From what you've written your stbx has a lot going on. Drug addiction, PTSD, and potential BPD as well. That's very sad and it's an awful lot for anyone to deal with. I really hope he can find the strength to heal but that could take a lot of time and there are no guarantees.

I can also completely understand your desire to help him heal and get better. I really wanted to help my ex get better - to be the person I believed she could be. It took a long time to recognise that no matter how much I wanted her to get better I did not have the power or the right to make her choices for her.

Mental illness is very hard for the sufferer but it's also very hard for the people who love and live with them because they feel so powerless.

The only thing that I could change were my own circumstances and when I was healing I chose to prioritise my own self care and be somewhere safe. For me that meant putting down boundaries to protect myself and distancing myself from my ex. I was so angry and hurt that any contact was destructive and unsettling. I tried to stop looking to my ex for answers and that was really hard.

What do you think is the best course of action for you right now.

What are your priorities?

Thanks for sharing

Reforming

woundedPhoenix

Relationship status: Very Single

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 07:32:54 AM »

Yeah Atomic,

i know these kinds of situations all to well.

Their behaviour and push and pull literally swing you back and forth between hope and despair.

They have these breef rational and stable moments, and even give you all the hope you wish for.

To notice minutes or hours later that they swing back into their self-destructive mode to break all that hope into a million pieces.

Intuitively i knew this was a no-win situation long before i even wished to really admit it rationally, let alone confront my conflicted feelings.

Hope is the last piece we hold onto... .and it only prolongs our pain.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest