Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 04:47:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: so happy to find this site  (Read 371 times)
oshinko maki

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« on: December 01, 2016, 05:58:13 PM »

My wife has BPD. Four years ago, we moved to the US, where I was born, leaving Japan which had not been a member of the Hague treaty on international abduction. My wife regularly threaten to steal away our son, who she refused to help raise from the day of birth, so that she could "get back at me." I have never cheated on her or anything, but I have for over 10 years wanted to divorce. I have not divorced because of the treat of her stealing my son, and the Japanese woman always gets away with it -- I even had a department of homeland security guy ask me for help with that once, but I was not much help.
I have made it to my son's age of 13 now and am very proud of myself, but I do wish to be able to be free from wife one day. It amazes me how she is "happy" with me as I have learned to cope with her by absolutely minimizing interaction with her. I used to have to leave the house, son in my arms, when she became violent, but that hasn't happened in about 8 years. I am still afraid of her though, and I am ashamed of that as I am physically much stronger than her.
How can I bring up divorce without her exploding and trying to take everything? We have property (only) held jointly. My son is old enough to fight her if she tried to take him. But I am still scared for his safety, my safety, and for the ownership of my property.
Sluggo

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced 4 yrs/ separated 6 / Married 18 yrs

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 09:23:11 PM »

Welcome to the site.  I am very sorry that you are going through this.  It sounds like you have had a long road but have been able to navigate it well.  I completely understand what you mean about being scared of your wife.  I was (still am some) fearful of my wife and her outbursts.  That is how I learned to live my marriage - by trying to learn what triggered my wife so I could try to control the situation.  

However for me after 18 years of marriage I slowly eroded away and found the more I tried the worse she got.  I two had a list of about 2 safe topics (kids & church stuff) that we could discuss without allowing her to put me down.  Moreover, I started behaving with an underlying fear that any time my actions could trigger her.  If not mine - my kids, my family, etc.  I was exhausted trying to keep up the impossible.  It was like the 'whack a mole'.  Once I got one fire put out, then there would be another one.  It seemed like one would see the progression of alcoholism- the more frequently she would repeat the cycle despite my attempts.  One time she actually told me- you are like the alcohol for me.  

That is a great question.  I will be interested to hear what others say, but my thoughts is that stating the word divorce may trigger some strong feeling of abandonment for her which could start fire to some aggression.  I would start planning everything out before you mention it.  That is making sure you have your bases covered- would you have a place to stay, taking important papers out of the home (or making copies), pictures, passports, keeping threatening emails, recording conversations, any other items of importance, reading other peoples stories here on this board, and talking with a lawyer about the laws in your state.  Believe it or not... .all those things I mentioned have been very helpful.  I also got a good therapist to help me through the before and after.  I also let a couple of close friends and family let them know what I was going through- as I kept the abuse a secret.  They have kept me grounded and been a great sounding board for some very tearful days.  

Within a couple of weeks of me walking out and getting an apartment she changed the locks, started to prevent me from seeing my kids, told my girls that I am a sicko because a guy (me the Dad) should not want 2 girls (my daughters) spend the night in my apartment with him.  Something as silly as my Bike she will not let me take to the apartment and she threw my golf clubs away.   I have almost lost emotional relationships with my 4 older kids presently as my wife has painted quite a distorted picture of me to the kids.    

It has been a lot bigger price than I expected to ask for divorce... .I am still in the middle of all the mess... .but 11 months later and still waiting on the custody evaluation and the final divorce hearing... .things have improved and I feel much better inside and the little time I have been spending with the younger kids has been very rewarding.  That is I have not been pulled away and sidelined by the my dysfunctional caretaking of my BPDwife.    

Is divorce what you are wanting?  Are you wanting to separate to get some space?  :)oes anybody know what you have been going through?

oshinko maki

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 03:36:59 PM »

I am very sorry that you are going through this. 
  (cut)
However for me after 18 years of marriage I slowly eroded away
  (cut)
a list of about 2 safe topics
  (cut)
Is divorce what you are wanting?  Are you wanting to separate to get some space?  Does anybody know what you have been going through?
Thank you so much for writing, and I too am so sad and surprised to read that I am not the only one who has lived through the impossible for 18 years (we too have now been together a little longer than that). You mention 2 safe topics, but I am afraid that even saying hello or responding to her hello can set her off. So I often ignore her greetings even, which does not seem to set her off, however counter-intuitive that seems (it sure seems strange to me at least).
In the last several years, she has been set off by any response of mine to any question that she would ask, unless my response was one of three things: I do not know OR just hmnnn OR whatever you want. This entails the pretty much the entirety of my relationship with her, avoid all interaction and conversing except the above 3 responses. She is cold and mean to our son, and I used to be so afraid of what that would do to him, but he has learned to accept the reality of her inability to love him without losing his self-esteem. He tells me to entirely ignore her even when she is yelling hurtful and untrue things, and he says just don't let it bother you (because he knows if I respond she will scream and escalate). I am proud of him for being able to not feel hurt by her. I wish I could be so strong.
Yes, I do want to be away from her, whether separate or divorce. I am not looking to find a romantic partner. I have given that up for over a decade and just want to continue raising my son and eventually have the peace of her not living in the same place as her.
Only my parents know anything about my situation because we talked about it once, about 10 or so years ago, when she was more violent and I had to (literally) run out of the house with my son every few weeks or so. I used to keep a bag by the door with things to keep me comfortable for a few hours in case I had to run out (like a jacket, gloves, money). When I would come back after a few hours, she would act like nothing at all had happened.
I feel so bad that you have lost so much contact with your kids. That would kill me. I have raised my son, as well as possible in a "war zone", and he is all I live for, which I understand is not considered healthy in the US. It was why I could not leave her in Japan, where the father is not allowed even visitation after divorce, let alone custody, no matter the degree of parental negligence the mother may exhibit.
I wanted to kill myself so badly to escape her, when he young, ages one to five or so, but because I kept myself going because I had to care for him, I made it through. And now I am proud of myself for being here at his age of 13 now. But since that time 10 or so years ago, I have not talked to my parents or anyone else about the devastating and draining life with her. How each year ages you ten. Finding this forum now though, I am happy, but still mostly surprised, to be able to write this now, however embarrassing it is because I keep rambling and returning the topic to my self-pity... .
I really didn't think there were others in this situation. I just assumed everyone else divorced immediately. I tell my son to run fast in the other direction if he ever realizes that he is in a romantic relationship with someone with BPD. I apologize to him often that I cannot model a positive romantic relationship for him with his mother. He often calls her by her first name, and she does not mind (amazing to me). He considers me his mother and father, as I have considered myself, as has been the actual fact.
No verbal interaction with her is safe, and talking about our relationship is not possible in any way shape or form (I tried everything a dozen or so years ago). I have been a translator all my adult life, so it hurt to not be able to communicate with this one person who gave birth to the most important person in my life (my son).
Thank you so so much for being there to let me write this to you. Apologize again for the rambling.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 10:15:59 PM »

Even if suicidal thoughts occurred in the distant past, probably best not to ever mention them without your lawyer's express instructions since stbEx may get wind of it and try to claim you're the unstable one too dangerous for the children to be around.  Yes, ridiculous but she can still cause problems with claims that have to be investigated or evaluated.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest