Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 12:59:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just saw my stepdaughter...  (Read 348 times)
jhkbuzz

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: December 24, 2016, 03:02:37 PM »

It's been about a year or so since I've seen her. She's 21 and a college senior.

Her mom and I began our r/s when she was 11 and we split when she was 19 and away at college. I've tried to keep in touch with her - but sometimes it's been hard because I'm not always sure that she wants to stay in touch. I can't tell. I didn't know if the breakup made maintaining a r/s with me awkward, or if she was just young and busy and on the run like I was at her age.

After she received my Christmas gifts this year she texted to ask if I wanted to meet her and her boyfriend for lunch. I did, and it was wonderful. It's amazing to think that the little rebellious 11 year old I met all those years ago is now a wonderfully poised and intelligent young woman who seems stable and happy and successful.

Her mom started cheating on me when she was 15. I couldn't bear the thought of ending the r/s because I wouldn't just be throwing my ex out; I'd be sending my stepdaughter out into the world with an unstable mother who had little idea about how to parent her or set boundaries. I wanted more than anything for my stepdaughter to have a stable childhood and not have any horror stories to tell.

I took on a tremendous amount of suffering in order to shield that little girl. Four years of hell, in fact. Not having much contact with her since the b/u made me wonder if all of the pain I bore was worth it.

It was, it was, it was. It makes my heart so, so happy to see her today; to know that I was able to provide the stability she needed. The stability that allowed her to grow up into a happy, healthy, young adult.

Merry Christmas, everyone!   
DreamGirl
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

Do. Or do not. There is no try.

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 03:18:34 PM »

I love this so much.

Stories like this help make it all seem worth it. 

"What I want is what I've not got, and what I need is all around me." ~Dave Matthews

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest