Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 09:50:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books most popular with members
Stop Caretaking the
Borderline or the Narcassist
Stop Walking
on Eggshells
Journey from
Abandonment to Healing
The Search for Real Self
Unmasking Personality Disorders

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My 26 yr old stepdaughter is bipolar and homeless- trying to support my husband  (Read 444 times)
FolsomJen
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: December 27, 2016, 03:12:52 PM »

Happy Holidays- It feels like every holiday season we are all walking on egg shells trying to cope with my 26 yr old stepdaughter's  outbursts and disrespectful behavior and this year is no different except that she's now homeless/living in a camper.
My Stepdaughter moved here with my husband when she was 18 as her mother has no energy/interest in her. My SD has the personality and emotional intelligence of a 14 year old yet she's 26 and insists she live on her own and not in a group home. She refuses to work and when she does get a job she quits as quickly as she is hired. My husband bought her a camper for her and her boyfriend to live in but they don't know how to take care of it and it's such a mess that they have had lice twice. 
Things have always been volatile with her and when she recently threw her eviction notice at me telling me to deal with it,  I told my husband that I am not going to be around her any longer. This hurts my husband but I can't have my 10 year old around her crazy/erratic behavior. She is constantly texting/calling him with ridiculous nonsense which he shelters me from but I can hear her telling him off and I witness his stress, anxiety and sadness.
I don't know how to help my husband, give him the support he needs to handle his daughter while still creating the boundaries I need to raise my 10 year old and have a healthy marriage with my husband/her father. I'm frustrated because I feel like he entitles her to this type of behavior but I also am new to BPD and don't know where the line is drawn between her illness and her spoiled brat behavior. In the last 4 months he has bought her a 5th wheel to live in and paid for 3 months of rent at mobile home park. They were evicted so he put them up in a motel for a week while he shopped for a camper they can drive and move around. The boyfriend got a job and a drivers license so my step daughter was driving him to work but when they'd argue (nonstop), she'd refuse to take him and my husband would have to pay for a taxi/uber for him so he didn't lose the job. This got to be so normal that my husband bought this young man a car along with gas and insurance which he's supposed to pay back.  My husband is fielding calls/texts from both of these 20 somethings now as they vent about one another and tell him about how horrible one is being to the other. (This lasted all Christmas).
Everytime the phone rings I brace myself with what's to come... .It's gotten stressful but my husband is trying to keep me sheltered from as much of the nonsense as possible. If it were up to me, she would be on her own and allowed to hit total rock bottom with hope that she would take the initiative to get her life together and get a job/apartment and leave the drug addict boyfriend.
I need help before my marriage suffers the price.
TIA,
Jen
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 09:50:37 PM »

Hi FolsomJen,

Welcome

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I can see how strenuous that would be when an adult child is very dependent on her father.

It's the holidays, that's a stressful period for everyone, it sounds like things are tight with them and if they're in a 5th wheel, they're in close quarters together. I can see how that would cause extra tension between the two of them, I don't if your H is taking sides but his D, the BF and your H makes three people along a triangle.

When there's a lot of tension and stress in a r/s sometimes one or both partners will seek a third person or sometimes it's a situation like staying at work and I avoiding your partner by working longer hours. Not all triangulation is bad but it can keep perpetuating drama with two polarized sides and a third person choosing one of those sides.

Setting Boundaries and Setting Limits

Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle

It helps to learn as much as you can about thr disorder, that way we can learn to become indifferent to the behaviors, it's not personal to us. You need to set boundaries, it sounds like your H is a compassionate person, you can have compassion with boundaries, saving his D is enabling her behaviors, she knows that Dad will "fix" things for her.

What about your H? Is he interested in learning about BiP? It helps to talk to people that are going through exactly what you're going through and offer you guidance and support. You're not alone.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 11:33:32 AM »

I don't know how to help my husband, give him the support he needs to handle his daughter while still creating the boundaries I need to raise my 10 year old and have a healthy marriage with my husband/her father. I'm frustrated because I feel like he entitles her to this type of behavior but I also am new to BPD and don't know where the line is drawn between her illness and her spoiled brat behavior.

These are such tough relationships, I'm so sorry you're in this position. It sounds like you are at the end of your rope, and need to focus on your own needs right now. How did your H respond when you said enough is enough, and you cannot be around SD26 anymore?

My SO has flimsy boundaries with his D19 too, and I realized when it comes to her, he basically becomes a sort of vessel for her behavior, bringing those behaviors closer to me. Since I cannot make him have better boundaries, I found it was much healthier if I took charge of my own boundaries. That means that I decide how much time I want to spend with them together -- it's actually easier for me to deal with D19 on my own. Together, they regress, and it is much tougher for me to be around the two of them.

I don't ask permission or engage in explanations for my boundaries, I simply say (gently) things like, "No, you two go have breakfast together. I have plans to do xyz." If SO insists or keeps trying to include me, I repeat what I said, almost exactly. Or I just say, No thanks.

When D19 came to live with us this summer, we ended up seeing a couples counselor together and that helped clear the air a bit. It isn't certain if she will live here next summer again, though I have said if she does, that I will need couples counseling to help me get through it, and fortunately, SO has agreed. Would your husband agree to something like that?

D19 was just here for the holidays and I chose to spend a week with my son for 10 days on our own, overlapping with D19 for a few days before she left to spend time with her mom in another state. It was hard for SO that I left for the holidays, and I feel sad for him that it has come to this, but D19 is so far up in his stuff, and that means my stuff, that it's better for me if I limit how much time we spend together. It actually makes it easier for me to be with her when those times do happen, because I can tap into some compassion and emotional strength that I build in her absence when I take care of myself.

I also learned about BPD skills from this site and from reading, and began to use the skills with D19, and stopped trying to rely on SO for guidance since he is too enmeshed in the relationship dysfunction to see it clearly, which means he cannot solve it effectively. I model the behavior I think he needs to use with D19, and don't engage in triangulation or solving D19's problems, ever. If she is being needy or clingy, I remove myself from the dynamic. I try to not be judgmental and when I need to vent, I do it with a counselor. Once I get out the big feelings, I am usually in a better head space to talk directly to SO.

At the beginning when things first came to a head with D19, I pushed pretty hard against SO to change overnight   and you can guess how well that worked out. Now, I try to be non-judgmental and focus on my boundaries and doing what fills my cup. If SO does things for D19 that seem enabling, I allow myself to say once, "Maybe doing the same thing over and over again isn't working. What if D19 had the opportunity to learn how to problem-solve on her own?"

I think codependent people have a hard time experiencing their own challenging emotions, so they rescue/fix/save others to protect them from similarly challenging feelings. When the truth is that emotional resilience means experiencing them, and having the satisfaction of making it through them ok. I try to validate that kind of thing with SO, and have compassion for him, without enabling him myself. He has a very difficult, challenging daughter and not a whole lot of skills to break out of the dysfunction. I cannot make it better for him until he is motivated to do that on his own. It's basically about applying to him the same thing I think he needs to apply to D19.

Breathe.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest