Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 11:52:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: friend said " she just didn't love you"  (Read 467 times)
bus boy

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: January 08, 2017, 05:53:49 PM »

My friend told me xw just didn't love e me. Could that be? Why did I make her feel so unsafe? She hated my family, didn't want anything to do with them or anything from them. My family wasn't perfect, my father and I would lock horns once and a while but nothing serious and we always got over it. I drank, that caused some issues but it wasn't the main issue. I was willing to quit and did. I wasn't drinking the money away, I worked hard, was kind, but it seemed there was nothing I could ever do to make her feel protected and safe. All I heard was, " can't protect me" "you don't know how to protect me" " you have to be there 100% and nothing less" "you can't defend me" "you have to defend me" I was a very messed up man, protect her from what? She looked at me as a total and complete nothing and still does. If she didn't love me, why the emotional hell? She left many times and came back, she married me and the mental hell got worse against my family she never showed affection. She kept telling me I had to change. At first it was good but when we moved in together the flood gates of hell opened up. I kept wanting her back, had no idea what was going on, thought I was the worse person alive and was often told that. She kept coming back. Xw never looked at my good qualities. No matter what I did I could not make her feel safe and secure. I triggered something in her and she never came back from it. So why the hate ? Xw family hates me, her bf looks at me like I'm trash, xw has her bf involved in my son's life like I abandon them. If xw didn't love me why alienate my son from me for so much of his life, it like xw wants my son to feel unsafe with me.
hope2727

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 06:41:38 PM »

Your friend is uneducated. Don't put to much weight on those types of comments.

People with personality disorders struggle to have what one might consider normal relationships. Their distorted views of the world pour over into their relationships and poison them.

I had to stop talking to my friends about my ex. They say insensitive and misinformed things. I save my ex talk for those who have knowledge. It saves me a lot of hurt.
Portent

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 07:02:43 PM »

She did love you but a boarderline loves in reverse. They feel strong love at first but this love doesn't build. Eventually the disorder erodes the love.
bus boy

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 07:03:17 PM »

Lately some things have been said by friends that hurt and leave me questioning myself more. I will never know what I triggered in her to make her feel so unsafe. No matter how much affection I showed her, it never made a difference.
Stolen

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 07:09:38 PM »

She did love you but a boarderline loves in reverse. They feel strong love at first but this love doesn't build. Eventually the disorder erodes the love.

This is perfectly put.  For years I wondered why the goodwill was not building. You explained it so well. 
joeramabeme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: In process of divorcing

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 07:54:33 PM »

Lately some things have been said by friends that hurt and leave me questioning myself more. I will never know what I triggered in her to make her feel so unsafe. No matter how much affection I showed her, it never made a difference.

As others have said, I would not invest in advice from friends that are not familiar with BPD or other cluster B personality traits.  They will simply compare it to their more standard experiences - and why wouldn't they, it is all they know.

Regarding the safety/protection piece; at the core of it all there is a deeply hurt child.  This exists BEFORE the relationship starts.  Unbeknownst to you, when you became involved with your Xwife, you were seen as the person that could protect her and resolve the fear and hurt of the originating injuries.  In some ways, this may actually be true as we all tend to work out the unresolved parts of our lives within relationships with others. 

However, she is completely unaware of the hurt and source of fear and is unknowingly reacting to feelings that, while real, are not anchored in the present day.  To her, the fear and need for protection feel completely valid. 

If you could could unabashedly challenge her with no resistance from her; the truth would very likely be that she would not be able to explain why she feels as she does.

My ex was/is scared of me too; she hasnt a single reason to be and it really broke my heart.  The harder  tried to reconcile her fear, the worst it got; it was almost as if I was validating to her that her feelings were accurate. 

The biggest mistake we non's make is assuming that we really can fix other peoples problems.  We can't, and assuming we can makes it worst.  You can lead a horse to water, and if they don't want to be lead you simply have to accept it.

I am sure your ex loves/d you.  However, if she is not aware of what her role is in the play, than it will always seem that a bad outcome is always someone else s fault.

Hang Strong. 
ynwa

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 08:37:54 PM »

I think your friends comment is based on not understanding what you went through. But maybe there is more you should add... .

She didn't love you... .  the way they think you deserve?  They saw you going through something and could not imagine why someone would treat their friend that way.  They were giving you a compliment, clumsy and poorly delivered.

I might be off with that assumption, but don't hold it against your friend.
unsureuncertain

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 09:33:39 PM »

I think it is hard for people who have not been in these types of relationships to understand and therefore they give advice, intending to help but really don't get it. That's why sites like this are helpful.
Pretty Woman

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

The Greatest Love is the Love You Give Yourself

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 01:47:44 AM »

I'm going to 2nd some of the posters on here in saying try not to be mad at your friends. Usually,  they mean well and they just aren't familiar with the perils of a BPD relationship. They just see this person jerking you around and they want you to get over it.

BPD's can love, it's just not a mature love. They love like a 3yo. A 3yo can love you one moment and hate you the next. They are unable to regulate their emotions. It's very sad.

I watched my ex cry over people who wanted nothing to do with her, ten fifteen years later. She couldn't understand why I wanted to discuss her exes. Once I figured out what this was and saw the patterns I was fascinated.

That likely aided in our eruption but the whole thing was interesting to me. Even during the course of our relationship she would vacillate between hating and loving someone, talking about them like they were her best friend and then her mortal enemy. All of these things were signs I should have taken as red flags but I didn't.

Again, know your friends do mean well. Mine got very frustrated at me for not leaving and stopped caring after multiple recycles. I don't blame them. Now that I'm out I can see how stupid the back and forth looked to someone not in the situation. Sometimes I find myself frustrated reading the posts on his board of people who want help but then run back... and maybe that's because I did that so many times and am officially over it.

Did your ex love you? Yes, just not in a healthy adult-relationship way. It was more parental. She was looking for someone to take care of her emotionally and re-parent her and none of us possess those skills. We wanted an actual romantic relationship and what we got was something much more dysfunctional.

Hisaccount

Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 11:58:38 AM »

BPD loves in reverse. That is an excellent way to describe it.

I have often told her over the last couple of years that she didn't love me and if she did I didn't want that kind of love ever again.
ShadowA

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 12:06:27 PM »

Love in reverse Eh?

Sounds about right.

Damn the love bomb is some powerful stuff tho in beginning.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest