Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 03:30:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books most popular with members
Stop Caretaking the
Borderline or the Narcassist
Stop Walking
on Eggshells
Journey from
Abandonment to Healing
The Search for Real Self
Unmasking Personality Disorders

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what is the nature of abuse in BPD  (Read 377 times)
lpheal

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: January 23, 2017, 03:32:18 PM »

I was curious if anyone has experience with or has read about the nature of verbal or physical abuse in a person with BPD. An abuse counselor will say all abuse is about power and control. Is that also (and always) true in a person with BPD? Sometimes the driving force seems to be more fear, frustration or desperation.

This is a question I keep asking myself as I try to better understand my situation.

Thanks for reading.
oshinko maki

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 04:35:46 PM »

Yes, however unconscious it may be, I believe fear drives abusive BPD behavior. Fear of disapproval and abandonment mainly.
But you can see any destructive behavior, speech or thought as deriving from fear.
A feeling of power and control may be sought in order to mitigate fear and to lessen it by being abusive in trying to instill fear into the perceived threat instead, i.e., into you.
It is hard to stop that fear they instill in us though, at least for me.

ortac77

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Living together

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 05:51:57 AM »

I am convinced that FEAR plays a very large part, it is fear that leads people to want to control the uncontrollable, I think that probably applies to all human beings at some level.

For the pwBPD I suppose abandonment is their primary fear accompanied by the need to make another responsible for their feelings, that leads to the abuse.

Abuse is frightening, it is also unacceptable. I have tolerated too much of it in the past - but now call it for what it is.

Larmoyant
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 08:31:11 PM »

I agree fear seems to play a big part in borderline abuse and reflects their inner pain. It doesn’t excuse their behaviour, but offers an explanation. They lack a known self and struggle with intense fears of abandonment and unresolved pain. It manifests in intimate relationships which they cannot handle so they lash out in abusive ways. Their emotions can overwhelm them and unregulated emotion along with fear/distrust generates rage arising from those abandonment fears. Not all pwBPD rage others are more passive aggressive but it’s painful for partners any which way. I was on the receiving end of such terrible rage from my ex, who was highly abusive, but this knowledge has helped me understand where it was coming from and helped me as I gradually detach from him. It really does help to depersonalise his actions. It wasn't really me he was raging at.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest