Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 10:08:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any experience improving relationship with couples retreat/intensive therapy?  (Read 361 times)
Riess2015

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: February 25, 2017, 09:26:54 AM »

Hello, wife with BPD, caught in affair a few months ago and we are at the breaking point, standard therapy isn't working/only works until we are both in a stressed environment.

Would like to hear from anyone that has gone to a couples weekend retreat (religious or not) and if that helped.

Thanks
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Naughty Nibbler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 12:56:47 PM »

Hey Riess2015:   

I can't speak about experience with a couples retreat, but thought I'd share some thoughts.

Applying communication tools and strategy for stressed situations, will take some practice and an ongoing effort.  Perhaps the idea of a retreat is something to discuss with your therapist.  Your therapist might be familiar with some retreat choices for your area. 

I'm thinking a couples retreat may have some short-term benefits, but it will take reinforcement in the use of any skills presented, to benefit from the retreat in the long run.   One benefit from a retreat might be some shared enthusiasm.  Then the enthusiasm/momentum will likely need some form of reinforcement to help make the new skills become new habits.  A retreat, with some post therapy sessions to reinforce the skills learned, could be a beneficial combination. 

Kyanite

Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 11:21:13 AM »

We have considered the same thing, mostly because DH won't go for long-term therapy. (We did try - the therapist was "not good" and the suggestions he made were "crap."  DH believes change should be quick through a week-long seminar like Tony Robbins. Ugh.

I agree that a retreat can be a great place to start, and would need follow-up to truly be effective. I have searched a lot for a retreat that would work for our family, and the only suitable option I came up with is a place in Tennessee. I have not yet signed us up for a couple of resons - first, we have food allergies and I am not certian this place will accomodate. Second, unless DH would agree to follow-up sessions, I feel it would be a waste of money.

We did try a couples weekend a few years ago that was based on Brene Brown's Wholehearted Living principles. DH nitpicked the whole thing and came up with every reason why it either didn't apply to him, or the couple leading the retreat was unqualified and therefore were not worth listening to. FWIW, DH seems to have more narcissistic tendencies than borderline. I hope you have a different experience.
loyalwife

Relationship status: married

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 03:09:02 PM »

Hi!
    We went to a eight-week program called PACT using Stan Tatkins approach, "Wired for Love". Needless to say,it was a disaster. The concept was to help us communicate and my H w/BPD wanted nothing more than to validate his position. These sessions lasted a minimum of two hours usually three. The Therapist gained his trust and interjected good information for me to use. I explained to her that he was BPD (undiagnosed) and that I had been using techniques I learned on this site. He didn't like going and would continually go back into the old arguments, end up mad and in a bad mood. The last session that we had, he ran out of the room, throwing the car keys at me and saying it was over. I sat stunned in the office and that's when the therapist gave me all the guidance I needed. She said that I was in a ":)ouble Bind" and that I was dealing with an emotionally immature person that needed to be 'parented'. Her advice was to show little emotion during his tirades and that he didn't appreciate emotional responses. So, although this type of therapy was not successful in bringing up together as I'd hoped, it did help me understand better how to cope. I'm not quite sure that my husband will ever be able to respond and empathize with me as most couples do. When he is 'happy' the sun is out, yet when he is 'angry' it's stormy. When you love someone you are willing to do what you need to help them, but must also make sure you take care of yourself.  We are doing much better, although life isn't perfect and when his dark days come (which they do) I know it's just passing.

***Kind regards***
*****always*****
        Loyalwife
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest