Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 03:47:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Improving my relationship with my exBPD since we still work together -ugh  (Read 412 times)
bunny4523

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: February 09, 2017, 03:40:23 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Haven't been here for awhile... .things are going really well for me.  I seem to have very little residue from the trauma from my exBPD partner.  (lots and lots of counseling and talking)  I'ts been over a year and a half and I just married an amazing man about 2 weeks ago. Smiling (click to insert in post) 

Problem is that I still work with my exBPD partner and him finding out that I got married seems to have triggered him.  I'm on this board because I really need some tools to help me improve this work relationship.  One day I'm good in his mind, the next I'm bad.  It used to be almost a week at a time before switching, this week has been the worst.  Monday he fussed about me taking a break like I was taking advantage of the company.  Tuesday he was concerned because my apt was taking too long and he was asking another employee if I was ok.  Wednesday is trying to act protective over me by saying I'm too busy to help someone with a project so they need to just leave me alone. 

He also likes to make it look like I'm doing something wrong even when I'm following the same rules as everyone else.  Like if I'm on a break, he turns my light out.  Like to notify everyone that I'm not here? no really sure   But other people don't have to turn out their light and he doesn't turn off anyone else's light. Then he only tells half truths to my boss to make it look like I'm doing something different than everyone else.

I don't have a repoir with my boss because she reports to him so you can imagine how that would work.  I just keep it professional.  I'm just curiuos if anyone has any ideas how I can respond to all this or even ideas on how to engage to get him to simmer down and stop obsessing over me.  He is in another relationship which seemd to help in the beginning but I have a feeling the bubble has burst and the devaluing has started.  So now I am once again in his radar.

Individually, all this little things are no big deal but when you put them all together, it is alot of unneccesary stress and his motive/intentions of getting me in trouble are scary.

Help!
Bunny

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

isilme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 04:09:28 PM »

In the workplace, all I can really advise would be to consider seeking a private, confidential meeting with someone in your HR department, and for you to disclose that you had a relationship, but that it is over, and that you have concerns that mild but cumulative retaliatory actions could be taken against you by him.  This is more to protect you from bad reviews or hearsay in the office.  I'd not disclose BPD or anything, just that you noticed a more prevalent chance of him acting out in minor but again, cumulative, ways against you after you married. 

You can still employ as many of the tools on here as make sense in the workplace, and maybe see what boundaries may help, but it's work, and so it's a little different than a home environment.  pwBPD can be a lot more savvy when there is an audience or someone to try to impress.  Most o us deal with the great person in public who devolves into screaming fits in private.  At work, it will amount more to high-school type bullying tactics.

Naughty Nibbler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 05:04:45 PM »

Hey bunny4523:  

Congratulations on your marriage!  

Is there any chance you can transfer to a different chain of command?  (Different boss and boss's boss?).  I agree with isilme, if you have a Human Resources Dept., may want to talk to someone and get your concern's documented.  H.R. departments aren't necessarily there for your benefit, but to take necessary action to try and prevent the company from getting sued.  

You probably need to make sure you follow all the rules.  Best to document everything and keep a CYA file (in case you get a bad review or layoff notice).  May want to do some forward thinking, in case you need to find another job (do you need to sharpen some skills, update your resume, perhaps post your resume online for some possible offers)

Other than the above, just be pleasant, keep it professional and don't react to the annoying things he is doing and don't participate in office gossip.  

Some information from the quote below might be helpful for you:

Quote from: How to Set Healthy Boundaries: 3 Crucial First Steps - by Britt Bolnick
1. Check your personal engine light.
Think about how you feel when you’re around someone who drains you and upsets you, someone with whom you feel you lose yourself. How does this feel in your body? How does it feel in your mind? How does the presence of this person affect you?

Now look at this list of feelings and sensations you’ve made, and imagine that your body is like a car, with a dashboard full of warning lights.  You’ve just identified what I like to call the “check engine light” for your personal boundary system. It’s a security system warning that your personal energy field has been breached, and you’re letting in stuff that isn’t yours.

This is really important. When our boundaries are weak, unguarded, or unclear, we let in all sorts of stuff that isn’t actually our stuff, and we give away our own personal energy unconsciously.

That means you’re dealing with a breach of your energetic security system and a leak of your own personal energy. You’re looking at warning signs indicating that some work needs to be done, some boundaries need to be shored up, and you need to return to center.

2. Ground yourself as preparation for maintaining boundaries.
Grounding is akin to the way a tree sinks her roots to stay secure in a storm. It’s the first tool in creating healthy boundaries—nurturing a connection with ourselves, our centers.

Our root system is both our anchor and our boundary system. It keeps us from being blown about in other people’s winds. It gives us a way to focus and still ourselves to connect with our heart and our intuition. That’s what keeps us steady and connected and focused.

There are as many ways to ground as there are people. I like to take five minutes to actually imagine my root system connecting me into the earth, like a giant oak tree. Here are some other ideas:   Meditation; breathing exercises; saying a prayer, affirmation, or mantra in the shower in the morning; mindfulness; chanting or repeating affirmations in your head as you walk.

Try different ways—you’ll find the one that works for you!

3. Notice the people and places that tend to drain you.
Before entering those places or exposing yourself to those people, take a few minutes to imagine breathing a bubble of protective energy around you. Think of it as a space that will only allow love and positivity inside it, deflecting anything else. Really see it and really feel the force of it around you. Then recognize what you need to do to maintain that space.

These three steps will help you create and maintain healthy boundaries. Building boundaries is like any muscle or practice—the more you work with it, the better it serves you!

Here is the link for the above article: HEALTHY BOUNDARIES
bunny4523

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 06:02:59 PM »

Thank you so much for your feedback.

My boss is the HR director and everyone in the office was made aware of our relationship.  He announced it once we got engaged and moved in together.  That's when everything changed and starting getting really weird.  The anger and rages... .you know the drill ... .anyways.

It's been over a year and a half and I have not been written up for anything.  I'm not sure if it's because my boss (HR Director) realizes I'm not doing anything wrong or if it's because they are scared I might sue.  I just know he is running around behind my back trying to make big deals out of little things.  From what I can tell, with little success.  It's just more of the constant fear of the threat that creates some anxiety for me. 

I do follow the rules (problem is the rules change depending on his mood or how he wants others to see me in the moment).  But I have witnesses to the strange behaviors and I am documenting everything.  Other people in the office are starting to see his inconsistencies and bringing it to my attention so I am hoping that would help me too. 

I'm not reacting to anything he does.  I have good people around me and they let me know when he is unstable.  I try to use the information to know how to keep things calm.

Thank so much everyone!
Bunny
Naughty Nibbler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 06:44:15 PM »

Hey bunny4523

Quote from: bunny4523
My boss is the HR director

Well, that's an interesting situation.   

For important job issues, try to get instructions for things in writing.  Sometimes, that might mean you write an email, detail out what you believe the understanding is and ask for a confirming reply. 

Following the rules, would relate to written office procedures, code of conduct, ethics for your industry, etc.  Large companies seem to have rules for their rules.  Small companies should have some form of written rules, but a lot less than large businesses.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest