It has been challenging just to talk about it in terms of a break-up or ending a long-term relationship/marriage because it is so much more than that with a BDP person.
I relate to this so much. Finalized divorce from BPD spouse earlier this year after nearly 17 years of marriage, with a son who's now 10. It's coming up on 2 years since we separated, though that was the second (and final) time we separated. The last several years have been such a whirlwind/rollercoaster/whathaveyou, and it feels like so much more than the more typical divorce stories of just growing apart, or things getting stale, or no longer getting along. And now I'm forced to continue financially supporting someone who never supported me in any way, financially or emotionally, and it feels terrible.
I could write a book about my journey, but in many ways I've continued to enjoy a much better life since I've been able to name my experience as the abusive relationship that it was, and piece things back together to move forward in a much healthier direction.