Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 05:25:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeling anxious...  (Read 384 times)
Sparky0426

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: February 21, 2017, 07:11:29 PM »

Its only been 5 days since we completely severed communication. He deleted me from social media and blocked me from sending him messages; he hates me right now. Things had been rocky for a couple months, he discarded (attempted to, at least) right before Christmas (out of the blue, completely shocked me and broke my heart) We have maintained contact, although somehwhat strained.
Anyways, last week I confronted him when I found out the truth about things he had been lying to me about. He turned everything around on me and tried to manipulate the situation. I held my ground when he tried to deflect and refused to admit the truth. I kept repeating his transgressions and the lies he told me. Well, he got reallllllyyyy angry and blocked my messages. I went ahead and blocked him back for safe measure.
At this point, I'm just done. He will never seek help or acknowledge that he really and truly needs it. This means he will never change or be the loving, supportive partner that I need. I'm done trying, I cannot subject myself to this abuse and I don't want to be his human punching bag anymore. Thankfully he works out of town and won't be back for 3 weeks, so I don't have to worry about running into him and I don't think he will try to contact me because he is so 'enraged' right now. In his brain, I am the enemy and he thinks he is in control by blocking me. I dont know if he realizes I blocked him back. 
My main concern is that when I DO see him again (it is inevitable, we live in a very small town) he is going to either try to reconcile, or do something cruel to hurt me and incite a reaction. It is more likely that he will try to hurt me though, he seems to really enjoy it, and he always knows exactly what to do to accomplish that. I am very sensitive, an empath, and this is exaggerated by the fact that I still love him and I'm vulnerable right now. I have just recently started learning about BPD which is really helping me to make sense of all the mind ___ery I have experienced for the last 2 years. As terrible as this illness is and all of the cruel things he has done to me, I cannot help but feel saddedned for him. Even with the bad, there were good parts of him too.

HOWEVER, i'm firm in my personal commitment to No Contact and healing myself. My health and happiness are far more important than he is at this point, but how can I protect myself from him? I have no idea  what to expect. I dont know if he is has already discarded me completely (kinda hoping this is the case) or is he going to start stalking me and go crazy once he realizes that I'm really done  and moving on? Until now, I have never stopped trying to work it out with him or made any attempt to leave him, even after he left me. Ive always patiently waited for him to come back.

Help! Any advice is appreciated... .
infjEpic

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: In a new relationship

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 04:25:52 AM »

Hi Sparky

That sounds very painful, I'm sorry, you be feel a lot of anguish on top of the anxiety

Are you concerned about his attempts to recycle you back into the relationship,
or are you concerned about potential physical violence?

Regarding recycling attempts - I won't lie - it takes strength.
But it sounds as tho you have made a firm decision about your health.
That is very important. And very brave of you.

This article provides useful information on No Contact:
https://bpdfamily.com/content/no-contact-right-way-wrong-way

It will probably help you to understand that, disordered people will interpret logical/rational reasons for ending a relationship as shaming to them.
Therefore, if you say the relationship is finished because of them, or their behaviour, they may react in an unpredictable manner.

If you say the relationship is finished because of reasons concerning you, and that you are the problem - doesn't matter if this is not true - then that is easier for them to handle.

Some examples:
'I no longer want to be the source of your pain'
'I can't keep hurting you, I'm not capable of being in a relationship with anyone right now, I need therapy to heal myself'
This is strategic disengagement.

If you are concerned about physical violence or threats against you, that is a slightly different discussion, but we can have that discussion too and there are steps you can take to protect yourself.
Sparky0426

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 12:24:23 AM »

Hello infjEpic.

I am concernerd with both scenarios: being recycled back into the relationship as well as physical violence. I'm also concerned with protecting my emotional well being and recovery from this experience. I am not at a place, yet, where I feel that I would be strong enough to resist him, but I'm getting there. We had  3 episodes of physical violence in our relationship, but it was me that assaulted him after EXTREME provocation. I felt embarrassed and so terrible about myself afterwards. I am not an angry or violent person by any means, so the fact that I did that to him made me question myself and my sanity. Really though, he knew what he was doing to incite the reaction and it only helped to serve his projection and manipulation tactics... ."Oh you are crazy, you hit me all the time, you think its okay to disrespect me, you have issues" blah blah blah. Never acknowledging or admitting to HIS behavior and actions that led to me blowing up. He never hit me back, but there were several separate instances where I ignored him or had gained the upper hand in a disagreement and he balled up his fists and got in my face.

I now recognize that he is mentally ill, and it makes it even harder because I still have love in my heart for him and the good times we shared. I just dont want to get wrapped up in it again, and I dont want to be in a situation where either I lose control of myself after provocation or he goes into a rage. After seeing some of his darkness and learning more about BPD, im somewhat scared of him and I dont know what he is capable of. What is the best way to act if I see him? Do I acknowledge him? Or do I pretend I dont know him and walk the other way?
infjEpic

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: In a new relationship

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 05:41:00 AM »

I am concernerd with both scenarios: being recycled back into the relationship as well as physical violence.
I'm also concerned with protecting my emotional well being and recovery from this experience.
I am not at a place, yet, where I feel that I would be strong enough to resist him, but I'm getting there.

I'm very sorry to hear about all this. It's very painful. I know.

It's far too short a time to even consider communicating or any type of interaction.
You've just started on the road to recovery.

Are you working with a counsellor/therapist? I would recommend it. It tends to make the healing process faster and more effective, and offers an extra layer of protection.

Given the reaction you are aware he can provoke in you, I think the only answer is cut all possible forms of communication and maintain No Contact. Clearly, there are potential consequences other than emotional and psychological devastation.
If he shows up at your residence, call the police.
If he continues to harass you, there are legal avenues you can pursue. This may seem shocking and excessive to you, some even feel ashamed or embarrassed - but it's reasonably commonplace in these relationships - [We've seen it all!] - and safety comes first.

Excerpt
We had  3 episodes of physical violence in our relationship, but it was me that assaulted him after EXTREME provocation. I felt embarrassed and so terrible about myself afterwards. I am not an angry or violent person by any means, so the fact that I did that to him made me question myself and my sanity.

Make 2 lists.

1. Write down a list of every negative thing you can remember about the relationship. Nothing is too trivial.
Include this in it.

Whenever you feel weak - read it. If he makes any attempt to recycle you - read it.
Being recycled back into this relationship, could be extremely dangerous.

One minute you are hoping things can go back to the way they were, next minute you are in court for assault charges, or even some totally false allegations.

2. Make another list.
This list should contain everything you are grateful for in your life right now.
And all of the things that you can do now, that you could not do when you were in the relationship with him.

Excerpt
Really though, he knew what he was doing to incite the reaction and it only helped to serve his projection and manipulation tactics... ."Oh you are crazy, you hit me all the time, you think its okay to disrespect me, you have issues" blah blah blah. Never acknowledging or admitting to HIS behavior and actions that led to me blowing up. He never hit me back, but there were several separate instances where I ignored him or had gained the upper hand in a disagreement and he balled up his fists and got in my face.
When you review what you have written here, about his behaviour and his provocation - do you consider that loving?

I'm not judging you for your reaction at all - I've been there. I've been the one doing the fist balling. I've been driven to jumping up and down in exasperation.
But it's important to recognise, while he has mental health issues - we also have issues that we need to address in ourselves.
Such as why we have continue to endure a person who treats us like this and provokes us like this.

This is one of the places where a therapist can help us a lot

Excerpt
I now recognize that he is mentally ill, and it makes it even harder because I still have love in my heart for him and the good times we shared.

I think we have all expressed this exact sentiment.
Your perspective will change with time and distance tho.

Excerpt
What is the best way to act if I see him? Do I acknowledge him? Or do I pretend I dont know him and walk the other way?

Totally Ignore.
Call the police if you are being harassed.

Do not be drawn into any attempts to discuss reasons why the relationship ended. Best case, it would temporarily relieve your guilt, but any logical or rational reason you give, is likely to be interpreted as 'shaming' to them.
That can result in extremely unpredictable behaviour.

If you absolutely must give a reason, then make everything your fault:
'I'm not capable of being in a relationship, you were right, I have issues, I'm working with a therapist, he says I'm too toxic and I've hurt you too much. It's not fair to you. I don't want to be the source of your pain any more'

I would recommend you read this article; it may provide further insight into your current and past experiences in this relationship:
https://bpdfamily.com/content/how-borderline-relationship-evolves

Sparky0426

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 10:08:20 AM »

Thank you very much for your insight! I am actively working with my therapist again, and I agree with you that it is necessary to discover why I allowed him to treat me this way in the first place and then heal those broken parts within myself. My therapist had met my ex when we attempted couples counseling- that ended after 2 sessions because he decided we needed to see a woman therapist who was more "empathetic". My therapist advised me that in his own observations, the ex is in fact BPD/NPD. He told me the ex is a "very sick individual" and that he is concerned I will be "ruined" if I go back. I have worked really hard to accomplish some great things in my life, the threat of ruin or losing everything I have worked so hard to achieve is frightening and helps to further motivate me in my recovery process.

Previously, when we broke up I would seek him out on some level; I would go to my regular spots and be at locations where he knew I liked to go so he could find me. This always led to getting back together. On some level I still have that urge to see him, but I am fighting it. I have a couple weeks before he comes back in town and my plan is to avoid all of my regular hang outs and any place that I know he may be at. He is only in town for 2 weeks at a time, so I think this is doable. I really wish he would just move and leave town, I expressed this to him before NC was implemented, but I dont think he will just out of pure spite.

We've been "broken up' for 2 months; however, its only been one week of NC and my decision to really get over him for good, and i'm already starting to feel like my old self again. Im not constantly having to check my phone, making sure I respond to his messages quickly so I don't get accused of cheating. I'm spending time with my friends and family again. Focusing on work, school, and going to the gym. Looking within to resolve my deeper issues so that I never get caught up in this type of painful, abusive relationship again. I'm living my life for myself and its starting to feel really good. I've even noticed that Im starting to sing again when i'm alone, which I havent done for a very long time.

Life is getting better day by day, and its because he is gone. I'm really grateful for finding the support of others that have been through similar experiences, It makes it easier to know that I am not alone  
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest