Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 11:30:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well that was painful...  (Read 379 times)
Lalathegreat

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: March 01, 2017, 12:51:15 PM »

Made the mistake of reading through old texts - you know, from when I was perfect.

Crap that hurts. Should probably just delete it, can't bring myself to. Merde.
formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 03:18:04 PM »

Keep them.

Whenever you waiver... .compare those to more recent things... .

Understand that is the life that is likely before you.  Yes... with effort it can be made better.  But unless your pwBPD gets serious about improvement, there are limits.

My wife "just wants to get closer to God".  Oddly enough... that is wrong answer.  When she gets close in any relationship, she starts acting out.  So... .get closer to God... .teach your children that your husband isn't a Christian.  Yep... .makes sense to me.

Last night... .I walked out on a talk we were having in a restaurant.  Boundary enforcement.  10 minutes later we were pleasant to each other in a store on the way home. 

Enforce... .move on... .it never happened. 

My goal is not to persuade you... .but give a clear view.

FF

Lalathegreat

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 12:46:27 AM »

One thing that really struck me in going back and reading these and thinking about the way things have been lately is how obvious the splitting is. I say THE EXACT SAME THINGS back then and get these smiley face, ha ha, pleasant reactions. I say that stuff now and have to explain myself for an hour while he teeters on the border of rage.

It was really striking. Sad. But perhaps a dose of reality that I needed to see.
Mr.R.Indignation

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 06:54:32 AM »

Maybe this'll help a little more.

Something I've honed in on is that without the sheeny veneer of love a lot of her responses just seemed... .polite. The way she spoke to me post-relationship was purely part of a routine, learned response. The motions of small talk but for the most part with less effort, less interest, and less ... .thoughts!

Then I realised that before - during in the relationship - despite conversation being much better a lot of the time her responses were just obsequious and placating with a dose of admiration thrown in. The further in I got the harder it was to get her to have a conversation, until eventually I got to the point you're at now.

At the that point the relationship ended because I didn't think it was usual to get so angry over simple discussion aaaaand thus tested the boundaries of that.

Love is a lighthouse - no matter how many waves crash against the rocks, no matter how ardent the storm, no matter how lost at sea you are - its light will lead you back to shore safe and sound.

So when that guiding light isn't there for one person, if they can't seem to weather that storm, then they're not working towards the common goal, they're not in this for love and being on safe shores with you - they don't see the lighthouse. You don't want to be in a relationship with someone who doesn't work towards that beacon.

If someone can't handle discussion then how can you ever hope to have a relationship with them? They won't be able to handle arguments, they won't be able to handle minor transgressions, they will not forgive, because they're not working towards a common goal or a greater good, they're not trying to resolve conflict or make things better. They do not see progress. The cycle seems to go along the lines of: pwBPD serves you to serve themselves, then resents you to serve themselves, then simply serves themself in whatever way they anticipate they can get away with.

Lately I keep using this term: 'dealing with a semblance of traits that resemble consciousness.' This best describes how I feel interaction with the pwBPD works in BETTER times. In WORSE times we're dealing with an emotional state that has very little to no consciousness. To quote myself "In the more rational world no un-progressed pwBPD as we would know them exists because they are on a different plane of existence. You are a person, a creature of conscious ability, where they are elements, fire and water; sometimes still and cooling, more often than not tormented and burning wildly."

So think on that!

Chances are the conversation was predominantly formulaic, contrived, and artificially resembling thoughts.

Good luck,

R . Indignation
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 07:55:07 AM »

I say THE EXACT SAME THINGS back then and get these smiley face, ha ha, pleasant reactions. I say that stuff now and have to explain myself for an hour while he teeters on the border of rage.

Thanks for sharing this... .I think there is an important observation here... .and an even more important implication for non's that decide to stay in a r/s with a pwBPD.

Clarity at the start:  Not at all suggesting any non's are "at fault" for the r/s problems, I WOULD suggest that nons who decide to continue a r/s with a pwBPD have a RESPONSIBILITY to understand their role and how they need to be more flexible in their emotional responses and conversations.

Instead of right and wrong... .good and bad... .please use the analogy of falling in love with a foreigner who does NOT use English (or your native language) as their natural language.  Sure, they have a passing functional knowledge of English, but they don't "think" in English.

It is... .what it is.  That's who they are and how they are raised.  Ignoring that or even forcing them to "only" speak in English is likely to doom the r/s.

So, attaching this to Lalathegreat's example.  Early in the relationship, when the feelings were great... .infatuation, lust, beer googles... .etc etc were all in play the language difference didn't matter so much.

As the relationship got more intimate, the differences really started to show.

Lala's partner likely began to resent that she didn't "try" to speak his language... .and Lala likely resented that he didn't speak hers.  Resentment piling up in a r/s... .for any reason... is hurtful.  Chronic resentment is usually fatal to a r/s.

Now... .what's the "prescription" to help improve this.  (note... .I didn't say fix... )  Lala needs to learn the language.  Lala also needs to "not take it personally" when his language is acrid to her, when he doesn't mean it to be acrid.

So... Lala "hears" ... ."get away from me you nasty disgusting person... "... .what he said was "I'm too close and need some space... "

Yes... .the pwBPD needs to improve as well, but we "know" that it is more difficult for them.  Not impossible... .but more difficult.

Lala can learn his language faster than he can learn hers.  It is what it is...  

Hope this helps.

FF

Mr.R.Indignation

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 08:26:56 AM »

I posted thinking this was the detaching forum - doh.

Frustration over 'language' differences is an excellent point. If choosing to stay in there has to be acceptance that a role must be played, as you're the one who is more able to choose.

The 'non,' as the more aware of the two, has the responsibility to decide what happens with the relationship. So it's really about deciding whether or not you can handle an unconventional standard, and whether or not that effort would be for a greater good. If there are still attempts at communication then there's room for progress, although it may be tough going.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 02:05:12 PM »

unconventional standard

Attitude matters.  Attitudes drive words.  pwBPD are really sensitive to slights and insults... .like super sensitive.

"unconventional standard" seem pejorative to me (a little... .I know what you mean).  So... .I'm going to assume a pwBPD will flip out.

If you "carry" the attitude of "it's just" a different language... .a different culture... .it will come across much easier.

Also much easier to organize boundary enforcement and not take it personally.

Weird example... .I hope this works.

Many other cultures like to eat animals that we in the US consider pets.  It's ok for them... .I don't have to stop them... .but I'm not going to sit with them while they eat.  I'm confident that I can politely decline and tell them I'm looking forward to enjoying coffee together... .after they are done with (fill in the blank).

I eat my dinner... they eat theirs.  We enjoy coffee the same way.

So... .let's assume you meet a gorgeous romantic partner.  Sex is great... everything is perfect.  Then as you get to know each other better... .you find out she likes this weird (to you) form of foreplay... .let's say she likes to yell at you an demean you to get ready for sex.

Well... people are all different... .so in a non-judgmental way... you express to her that the r/s is important... you like being with her, but you will respect her right to choose and let her yell by herself... .and you will be quiet by yourself.  When she is ready to continue... you'll be back...

As oppose to trying to convince someone that what their doing is "wrong"... .

OK... .that may have been the weirdest analogy I have ever used... .I'm going to push post and go hide... .see what happens... .  Smiling (click to insert in post)

FF

Mr.R.Indignation

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 04:48:37 AM »

A little pejorative would describe my views pretty well, I think. I suppose we have to keep in mind that we are still dealing with different people, so my views will very much be based on my ex, and yours will be based on the experiences with your wife.

It's not that I believe the pwBPD is especially accountable as, like I implicated, I tend to look at it as instinctual behaviour. But there are many circumstances where there are logistical injustices committed by the pwBPD - more bad than good is coming from an action. This isn't to say that the 'non' is infallible, it's just that the pwBPD doesn't really want negativity to happen, and they don't want to hurt people or be hurt because it causes distress... .But! They're not as inclined to look for resolution because they want to avoid minor discomfort, not being able to see that the situation is multifaceted and they can profit.

So it's not so much that I disapprove since it's not really a conscious decision, it's just ... .I think it's incorrect? Haha!

To me just actions and 'morality' are sort of one and the same: progressive acts. Typically I view morality as self-fulfilling actions that also benefit others as a result. An act of justice is an act that improves or works towards improving the state of a whole. These factors work in tandem - self-fulfillment is better achieved by an improved whole, and someone self-fulfilled can better work towards improving that whole further.

So what I mean by 'incorrect' is that the pwBPD is often following an inefficient, unhelpful and thus illogical pattern (creating problems where there shouldn't be problems), so there is no need for that pattern to be followed.

E.g, the kind of thing my ex would get frustrated about is something equivalent to her mother telling her she should put on a coat because it's cold out. Most people would view this as an eyeroll 'yeah, yeah ma - every damn time! This is why I have my own place' kind of moment, maybe even laugh about it, but she'd see it as people being out to get her. To her this would be an act of passive aggression, someone telling her she's got a problem and that she's incompetent. It bubbles up from underneath and makes her seeth.

Obviously that reaction comes from insecurity and an inability to empathise, and without that ability it's hard to adjust, which is understandable. But the fact that it's an understandable action doesn't make the action positive - it's not beneficial to any parties, and it does not correlate with attaining her wants. It's still causing a negative reaction and it's not pursuant of a positive one. I suppose by this logic a sadist would be operating in a 'positive' manner because at least they're having a productive experience by enjoying negativity.

So put simply: there's little pursuit of a beneficial path - there is no problem solving happening. If happiness is being sought, lack of problem solving is an inviable action.

Personally I don't view it as trying to convince someone that they're wrong, I see it more as promoting beneficial behaviour. It's not about condemnation, it's about lifting.

So in conclusion, my belief is pejorative and a little condescending.

And hey! The analogy makes sense, don't be a scaredy cat. Smiling (click to insert in post) I'm appreciative of the share. Interestingly your statement kind of demonstrates my point as it illustrates tact and empathy as beneficial courses of action! If we didn't act that way then we wouldn't attain the positive outcomes.

I suppose relative success comes down to the individual nature of both parties more than anything. Also my relationship was long distance and there probably would've been a much better chance of success if we were closer, instead of her managing to disassociate easily.

The scenario being what it was, I don't think I would have been able to have the store pleasantry because I wasn't allowed to be nice if she was upset with me. :P I was supposed to sit around until she decided to pick me back up, but I couldn't go off and do my own thing in that time either because she would get annoyed if we weren't talking. So we had to talk, but I wasn't allowed to talk about the problem or be friendly, and I wasn't exactly going to be mean. Suddenly all those bored, youthful minesweeper frustrations turned into beautiful memories of a better time.

It's not like I was given an option to do anything at all, so I elected to do what I thought was most productive - the things I was barred from doing. Things were bad anyway so I figured they could only get better. Which they did until the next troublesome thing came along immediately again and again and again. I suppose there aren't right approaches to the situation, only managable ones, and as the problem is more underlying (thus causing minor surface problems to bubble up) speaking the language instead does make a lot of sense. At least the eyeroll and laugh approach can work for us.

This has been a great discussion thus far, but we really must apologise to Lala for invading her post!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest