Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 08:15:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I just want off the roller coaster...  (Read 359 times)
Lalathegreat

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: March 03, 2017, 12:53:56 PM »

Enough, want off, so done with the back and forth up and down feeling like a fool.

After our conversation Wednesday I decide to make plans for dinner this evening. He says sure! I have a job interview yesterday evening. I tell him I'm nervous. He says good luck and tell me how it goes. I send a text after letting him know how it went. At 6pm. Nothing since then. Seriously? Not even a "glad to hear it went well." He ibviously does not care at all, or is working hard to freeze me out. And now dinner tonight... .I almost want to just text "no dinner tonight sorry" and then put my phone on airplane mode for the rest of the day. He has always told me I'm passive aggressive when I never have been. Maybe I should just make it so.
patientandclear

Relationship status: single

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 09:48:00 AM »

Reliable predictable steady communication is probably an unrealistic expectation of someone with BPD once things slip out of the early performance mode. If you can't accept that, and you stay engaged, there will be a lot of discomfort for you. Most people, very reasonably, want predictable reliable communication from their partner.

For whatever reason, that part didn't bother me all that much. What did bother me was when I came to grasp that the non-communication was due to him spending time with other women. And since he was masterful at obscuring that from me ("sorry, my phone was in my bag" I had to work my way via spidey sense to the realization that the break in communication meant something more.

You have to decide for yourself, not with reference to other people and their choices and what they don't mind and what they can't tolerate, what YOU can't tolerate; what you need, from someone you share intimately with.

I would caution against making assumptions about WHY he is not answering. It probably is not that he doesn't care. He may be dysregulated. He may be immersed in something. He may be immersed in something because he is dysregulated ... .Smiling (click to insert in post). Whatever the reason, it's probably not realistic to think it will change in any sustained way, and so you need to assess whether you can deal with that.
Lalathegreat

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 11:53:15 AM »

I guess I am only frustrated because that part is new - he had never completely lately fallen off the grid quite so completely before. coupled with the open condoms and of course my mind is going to go places. And yeah - it's easy to leap from he's chasing other women to he really doesn't care about me... .

I did find out in the afternoon that I didn't get the job so I sent a text telling him that I was upset about that and needed an evening to lick my wounds so I wouldn't be coming for dinner. All true - was not trying to be manipulative. I had hopes riding on that job possibility and could not imagine mourning that AND spending an evening in the BPD zone. Well suddenly a string of 15 texts telling me how sorry he is that I didn't feel I could be around him and share that with him. I ended up feeling really bad, but I also knew I just couldn't. There was no way I could have my feelings and not trigger his. No way.

But now this will be one more mark in his mind of how I push him away. It's such a damned if you do damned if you don't dynamic constantly.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest