Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 10:20:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Answering a private question in public so everyone can see  (Read 379 times)
formflier
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: March 03, 2017, 05:59:42 PM »

Hey everyone.  Another member PM'ed me a few questions.  I asked if that member minded if I answered publicly... .and they said it would be fine to share with everyone.

Big picture:  Avoiding invalidation is critical.  I think I do good at that.  The times I still do it I realize quickly and shift.  Sometimes it is intentional, depending on the issue.  I try to be direct, succint and trust she will sort through it.

Validation is helpful.  I was not raised in a validating family.  We praised accomplishments, you "felt" good when you delivered results.  Ummm... .I have a long way to go on validation.  If I don't "see" a clear validation target, I offer empathy and listening and skip validation.

Empathy:  Not taking things personally and RA have helped me be able to take a moderately abusive statement and offer to listen and understand... .and sometimes (less than half) the result is to calm things.  "Babe... .I'm listening.  I want to understand.  What is the one most important thing you want me to get from what you just said.  (My wife is bad about monologging)  I am intentional about only addressing one thing when she kitchen sinks... and I make her pick.  If she won't pick... I disengage.

Excerpt
Your mentioning language has inspired some ponderation, so if I may pry a little, I have a few questions.

Bring'em... .questions split up below

Excerpt
I was wondering if you feel you've adapted to certain body language, subtle cues, etc etc?

Eye's get a bit wider, face tightens, my wife will lean towards me some.  I'm 250lbs... .wife is 115.  Yeah... she will physically try to intimidate me sometimes.  I stay neutral or call her on it.  

Excerpt
Have things become somewhat predictable or is it still difficult to interpret what's coming next?

I'll go with somewhat predictable.  Most importantly, by and large I've stopped trying to predict.  I think of this as conserving energy.  I used to expend a lot of energy "preparing" for this even and that event... or perhaps possibility is a better word.  

And... .at the start of learning about pwBPD... .I think that is worth the effort.  It's good to think things through.

However... once thought through, most of us need to spend way more energy on ourselves.  In the relationship we need to focus energy on a healthy response.

Plus... added benefit:  If you haven't mentally prepared, you are a lot more genuine in saying "Wow... honey... .this matter seems really important to you.  This is the first I've thought of it.  It would mean a lot to me if you would let me think this through before I say anything further... .Can we talk more tomorrow night?"

Perhaps 1/4 of the time (and that may be generous) do we ever talk about it again.  Kick the can down the road... .and forget about it.  pwBPD are "in the moment" people.  If it really matters to them, they will bring it up again.  For the rest of the blather that comes out of their mouth... .listen, reflect back... .kick can down road... .move along with your life.

Excerpt
In addition do you find yourself understanding a meaning more automatically, or does it still require effort and contemplation to understand what's happening, what something means, yadda yadda?

Not really... .I AM better about realizing when there is something "real" there.  I like to use the word blather.  To me that is a step or two below dysregulation.  Instead of expending energy trying to understand everything... .hand the issue back to them  Back to the question of "if there was one thing that is most important... "  

Honestly... .the times she has given me one thing, I can usually find a "real" issue to focus on.

Excerpt
It might sound bizarre but in the argumentative part of my relationship deciphering the meanings of what my ex was saying was quite similar to dream interpretation.

I can see this... .but, in FF world... .I don't see much return on energy for "interpretation".  Perhaps another analogy.  Make them do gymnastics... .instead of you.  Many times pwBPD get some sort of "need" met by seeing someone twist themselves all up trying to accommodate BPDish sayings and ramblings... . :)on't do that.

Excerpt
There'd be loose fragments of things that seemed to bundle up into one, strange mess, and I could generally pinpoint the roots then go from there.

Yeah... I can see this.  I would recommend... .at most... trying to find ONE root.  I mean... .get them to show you the root that mattered... .or skip the entire thing.

Excerpt
The difficulty was getting her to a point where she would actually want to talk through issues (when we had a complete conversation she'd feel better).

Much much much better to say "talk through the issue... "  (singular)  (anyone noticing a theme in my answers?)  

Seriously though... .when I talk about leadership of the r/s... .this is one of the things I'm talking about.  They will show up with 15 issues.

True FF story... from before I read SWOE.  My wife and I went to a biblical training conference and on the drive home my wife identified 47 different things that were majorly wrong with me... .based on her newfound knowledge.

47... . Now... .I hand her the task of picking 1.

Excerpt
Do you feel it's possible to get to that point regularly, or do you feel it's more effective navigating in a less direct way to achieve a result?

More direct is better.  Assuming there is something to solve.  Even in empathy, it's best to let them identify what it is that they want you to understand.

Excerpt
You're in the unique position of managing things to what sounds like a functional degree, so you seem like the best person to satisfy the curiosity.

My life is definitely more stable.  A couple years ago I was worrying about my wife doing corporal punishment (beatings really) wrong... .and stopped that.  No corporal punishment in a few years.

My current focus is getting the kids out of the line of fire and into some sort of healing therapy.

FF

Lalathegreat

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 10:50:05 PM »

Thank you for making this public! One of my biggest issues is the monologuing, I tend to grab onto whatever the last issue he talks about before pausing and it always pisses him off. "You always grab in to the last thing I say even though it's the least important!" I love the idea of validating that they have important thoughts, that you're listening and wanting to understand, but making them focus on what is most important.

The long lectures are also why I have such a ridiculously hard time focusing for myself afterwards and remembering everything that was said - especially since many of the thoughts are contradictory.

Crazy making - but I love your suggestion. I'm going to try it next time.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 08:52:34 AM »

The long lectures are also why I have such a ridiculously hard time focusing for myself afterwards and remembering everything that was said - 

OK... .specific to this problem of "extended rants".

For me it was a big enough deal to "make it better"... .notice I didn't say "fix".  We all do it to a certain extent.

Be genuine.  Reality is... you get lost in this.  Do not "blame" him for this... .do not "over accept" responsibility for this.  We are all different... .this type of thing doesn't work for YOU. 

"Boy... .that was a lot.  What is most important to you?"  Critical point.  Don't say "most important" with a blank at the end.  Make it about him and his feelings.  When it's about you... .identify that... .clearly and consistently.

The part above you can use consistently... .

Other tactics that can be "switched up".  Yes... .they are controlling tacts and yes... pwBPD will hate them.  Accuse you of no imagination... .and all that.  Which is why it is important to be able to switch up and give them choices... .for their liking.

There are sometimes when you let them invalidate themselves... .  "You have no imagination and only will do a conversation one way... ."  You offer compromise.  IMO... it would be unreasonable to "save" them from invalidating themselves.  Leave the choice with them... .  "Would you rather me continue with this one way... .or do you want to try something else"

I like to use the sand timeer.  It's been a while since i've used it... .but I think my favorite one was for a minute.

When sand runs out... they hush... .you start responding.

I love the talking stick... .my wife HATES it... .with a passion.  You can google it. 

Never ever say these methods are better for them... .especially like talking stick, when they hate it.  You can validate their worldview of this other person is so limited AND get more effective communication.

Thoughts?

FF

Lalathegreat

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 03:01:23 PM »

I laughed a little bit inwardly thinking about implementing the talking stick with my pwBPD, oh man he would hate that!  Smiling (click to insert in post) Sometimes when he is monologuing he expresses frustration with me for allowing it "see, why aren't you talking you're just letting me talk... ." but at the same time, it is clear to me through his actions that he ENJOYS these lectures and will even frequently tell me all about how he is taking the time to help ME understand HIM and become more enlightened and how grateful I should be. I really do think he likes to have that control over the conversation, when he gets going (even if he complains about me not adding anything to the conversation) he is almost impossible to interrupt. That is where a timer would come in handy because holy crap can he go on forever! 

And dear heavens yes, "no imagination"... .I've already been accused of this. Not exactly with those words, but one of his biggest things is to tell me how frustrated he gets that I can't grasp as many emotional concepts as quickly as he can. I used an analogy with him once... .I told him that sometimes when I talk with him I feel like he is in the stadium watching the 9th inning and I'm still in the van trying to figure out how to get my seatbelt off. I used to think that he truly was capable of synthisizing a bunch of ideas quickly, now I realize that it isn't so much that he is "advanced" and processing all of the social and emotional concepts as much as his emotions are shifting so quickly that the construct is changing constantly, even as he is talking. I can't even explain how many times I've watched him say one thing at the beginning of an extended rant and then watched him throughout the rant talk himself into a completely different (but equally bafflingly inaccurate in my mind) conclusion. But he would NEVER acknowledge that he contradicts himself. EVER.

What I know is that something needs to change quickly if any of the relationship can be salvaged and it will not be him suggesting the changes. So if it means that I show up with a sand timer and a talking stick and take blame for it (I know this will probably frustrate you, but *I* need these things so that *I* can be most effective in being able to hear you... .) than so be it.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 04:18:41 PM »

What I know is that something needs to change quickly if any of the relationship can be salvaged and it will not be him suggesting the changes. So if it means that I show up with a sand timer and a talking stick and take blame for it (I know this will probably frustrate you, but *I* need these things so that *I* can be most effective in being able to hear you... .) than so be it.

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

You must take action... .you don't need him to cooperate, like it... .or take any action at all!   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

However... .we need a lot of work on your presentation... .

Try to erase use of the word "but"... .it invalidates everything before it.

You are the best person ever, you are hot, smart... .but... .xyz.

Either say xyz... .or give a compliment... .don't mix those up.

Make it about you, but relate it to him.

"Hey... .your thoughts are important to me, I need to limit my listening to 30 second chunks, so I can understand properly... ."

Do you see how that "sounds" differently... .?

FF

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest