Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 07:56:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A little insight into the mind of the disordered  (Read 359 times)
Huh?

« on: March 11, 2017, 09:24:18 PM »

I've been through my fair share of relationships with disordered women ( I was a slow learner).  But this isn't about that.

I just wanted to share my experience with my "best friend", a buddy Ive known for over 25 years since high school.  He is undiagnosed, but heavily displays BPD and NPD characteristics.  Some of you wondering the mindset of a disordered person might appreciate this insight, as Ive been there to listen to his drama for my adult life throughout the years.

He's a pathological liar, as a matter of fact... .the day I met him he was telling me all these lies about how his family knew all these famous people, his sister was dating so and so... .(he doesn't have a sister)

For some reason, we became friends... .but I quickly learned to keep him at arms length.

He's been married three times over the years, cheated on every wife... .and every girlfriend in between.  He has NEVER been able to be alone... .it amazed me how he would pull women from years ago along to be stand ins between relationships.  

He's an alcoholic and a heavy smoker, and it's taking a toll on his appearance.  He looks 15 years older than he is.

He's never at fault for the failure of his relationships, yet he longs for them... .which keeps him drinking.  I can't tell you how many hours I had to listen to him tell me how his exs screwed him over, yet he's the one that cheats.  He would drink heavily because he missed them... .but find another woman to distract himself with... .he'd take any woman by the way, I was amazed at some of the women he'd be with. I would call him on his behavior, which of course he would start crying or denying was his fault.

He's currently in an "official" relationship with a woman he's been have an extended affair with since his first marriage.  Apparently they are "soul mates" since they keep finding each other. Smiling (click to insert in post)

The last time I saw him, they were having problems as she is worried he is cheating on her... .which he probably is.    He is still drinking heavily, and  the last thing he told me was, "I drink so much because it's the only way I can cope with how much I hate myself"

My point with this post... .yes your BPD ex probably misses you... .I've seen this first hand... .but they are train wrecks and you are now just a broken railroad tie on their path towards a life of self destruction.  You are literally an object to use... .not a person.   At the core of who they are, they are users looking to fill a void... .a void that they themselves don't know how to fill.

We are better and stronger because we know what we know now due to our experience.  The red flags are there, but we as empaths at one point chose to ignore them because of our nature.  Learn for your experience, and use it to heal and move forward.  In reality, WE are the lucky ones... .because  through our experience and research we are now armed with the tools to decode the behavioral patterns of the disordered and hopefully find a happy, and HEALTHY... .reciprocal relationship.

Their next victims, aren't so lucky.
heartandwhole
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 05:18:10 AM »

Hi Huh?

It sounds like you've learned a lot by observing your friend over the years. I does sound like he isn't skilled at relationships and is constantly looking to fill a void—either with drinking or with romantic relationships. I find it very sad, especially as he stated point blank that he "hates himself."

I have a friend who I suspect has BPD/traits. She comes from a background of abuse and has been through so much. I met her around the same time I got involved with pwBPD. Like you, I've learned a lot about what trauma/BPD/traits can do from those two relationships. Some of the things my friend has told me about how she treats men, her fears, her feelings, etc. have been eye-opening. She has also told me that she feels very guilty about some of her actions and doesn't understand her feelings.

My point is that anyone can be a user, BPD or not. And I for one would like to stay away from a person like that. I think we need to be careful about generalizing when we talk about BPD. We have similar stories, but my experience with a diagnosed pwBPD was very different from many on these boards. Don't get me wrong, there were similarities, for sure, but if he indeed "used" me, which he probably did, in his way, I feel it was because of his own lack of sense of self and profound need to connect to another person in order to feel halfway okay about himself.

One could say that I used him, too, to fill a void in my life, even though I'd never intentionally do that to someone.  Thought

heartandwhole

When the pain of love increases your joy, roses and lilies fill the garden of your soul.
marti644

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 05:27:04 AM »

We are better and stronger because we know what we know now due to our experience.  The red flags are there, but we as empaths at one point chose to ignore them because of our nature.  Learn for your experience, and use it to heal and move forward.  In reality, WE are the lucky ones... .because  through our experience and research we are now armed with the tools to decode the behavioral patterns of the disordered and hopefully find a happy, and HEALTHY... .reciprocal relationship.

Huh,

This is spot on! I have also dated several disordered women, and this last (terrible) experience opened my eyes to my whole world of weak boundaries. Grateful in a strange sort of way.

Heartandwhole,

The more I think about it the more I was filling the void in my life, the need to be wanted, the need to fix something, and my lack of self-esteem (which led to picking a partner that was not right for me), was a form of "using" as well.  The truth is we were using each-other I think, just for different things. The main difference was my attempt to control the relationship -through rescuing and "feeling superior" and shaping her into what I wanted - was a long-term plan. BPD's can only function on short-term survival methods I am learning.

Who is worse, the BPD or the Narcissistic Personality? What a sick cycle I put myself in. Have to learn never to do that again.
stimpy

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 06:27:17 AM »

Great post Huh.

I especially liked this... .

He's a pathological liar, as a matter of fact... .the day I met him he was telling me all these lies about how his family knew all these famous people, his sister was dating so and so... .(he doesn't have a sister)

I dated a girl 30 or so years ago (not my expwBPD) and she invented a brother... .and talked about him being unemployed and that it was all the fault the government etc... .etc... .

Ran into her 10 years later, and I asked how her brother was. She said "what brother?" She had forgotten that she had invented him.

That was a short and very stormy relationship. Maybe she was disordered as well?
Duped 1

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 07:38:03 AM »

Great post Huh!
hope2727

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 10:48:09 AM »

Thanks I needed this.

Excerpt
My point with this post... .yes your BPD ex probably misses you... .I've seen this first hand... .but they are train wrecks and you are now just a broken railroad tie on their path towards a life of self destruction.  You are literally an object to use... .not a person.   At the core of who they are, they are users looking to fill a void... .a void that they themselves don't know how to fill.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest