Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 11:13:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is cultural? What is emotional disorder?  (Read 344 times)
bus boy

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: March 20, 2017, 07:10:54 AM »

I come from a small community, most of us are from the same cultural background. Between 1803 and 1820 we came here by the boat load, sticking close to our own and our culture. We've been here since 1803 and very little has changed in the blood line. It is not uncommon in our culture to have a stubborn queer, dirty streak in us this is why sometimes I question where does the disorder begin and where does genetics end. It is not uncommon for brothers or sisters or family members not to talk for years or even to death over such silly pettiness or best of friend neighbours to one day stop talking for no reason. We are not a bunch of backward hillbillys but some pretty strong resentments can last for years. I write this little rant bc Xw family is like this, very strongly, in fact we joke that there must be something in the water out in the very rural community she comes from bc I don't think a single family out there where someone doesn't talk to someone. If you look crossways at Xw father, he takes it right in the nose and my never talk to you again just like that. Xw father one day just stopped talking to his mother and siblings, that was 12 years ago, not a word. Xw is the same way answer her the wrong way and it curtains for you. Before I knew anything about emotional disorders I thought not much about Xw and her families actions, a bit to the extreme to put everyone out of your life but I didn't dwell on it much but now I've learned so much about emotional disorders I just wonder where the line is drawn or is it a combination of culture and disorder. My dad can have that queer streak his blood line is not broken at all he's pure, I'm pure in our cultural blood line except for I'm 1/4 French, my dad says that's the best part of me. Just a senseless rant for the most part. But it's interesting for me to see the commonalities between culture and disorder.
vortex of confusion

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 07:58:13 PM »

Very interesting!

I think you may have touched on one of the reasons that I have felt disordered at different times in my life. The way you describe people not talking to each other and having people that get upset over pettiness reminds me of stuff from my FOO. I grew up not fitting in because I wasn't like them. I didn't get a kick out of doing the stuff that they did. I thought it was weird and odd. As a result, I was the odd one out a lot of time. I was the turd in the punch bowl.

That brings up an interesting question: In those situations is disordered normal and normal disordered? If everyone is happy with the way things are going, does it matter whether it is disorder or genetics? I don't suspect that those people see anything wrong with any of it. It is a way of life to them.
Sunfl0wer
`

Relationship status: He moved out mid March

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 07:33:50 AM »

I imagine there is overlapping.

Like something is considered dysfunctional cause it doesn't get the person what they want, holds them back.

So a person with BPD may say they feel lonely, want friends, but their behavior of gossipping and devaluation, is causing the fesult of folks distancing.  Hence why it is dysfunctional.

Yet, in their FOO, maybe gossipping was something that bonded them with an us vs them mentality.  Maybe the family belonged to a church that promoted similar where folks looked down on non members... .which gave the "in crowd"/members a greater sense of community. (However via exclusion of "outsiders"  Idk, just making up a hypothetical.  

So yea, kinda just pointing out that culture and individual dysfunctions will overlap.

... .

Imo, my ex was from a culture that burried their head in the sand vs facing conflict expecting things to naturally resolve.  Imo, this leads to a group of folks not too great at dealing with conflict.

Lol! I guess this is called sociology tho right?
Already been invented,
yea, I guess psychology of a person and sociology of groups, overlap. :P

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest