Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 10:16:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 year later  (Read 449 times)
going places

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Divorced

« on: November 16, 2016, 10:23:07 AM »

It's been a year since I have posted here.
I left, not on good terms.
I was deep in my own depression, w/o dealing with my own health.

Ironically enough, I was right! I handled it wrong, but I was right.
Not in my own mind, but educated licensed professionals, agreed.

Today I fear my youngest (22) with a new baby (8/16) is going to hurt herself.
She has not spoken to me since July 2015.
When she DOES email w/ me it's "eff off, go to hades, etc".

Then she rages on Twitter.
Her posts on Pintrest are so dark, dark, dark.
Her tagline on Instagram is #IAmBorderline

She has cut me off.
She has cut her brother off.
She has cut off her best friend of 20 years.

Who she clings to is a father, that has replaced her with a girl 5 years older than his youngest child. She wants to be "daddies girl" but can't. He told her when she found out she was pregnant that she could live w/ him, until the baby was born, then she was NOT bringing a baby into his house. My daughter married a man she had known 4 months, and moved out. He then moved into his gf's apartment, where my kids are not allowed.
He slammed the door in my daughters face. Emotionally and mentally, that has wrecked her.

She needs help.

Her husband and his family are of the religious leaning that if you just "pray more" and just "be more thankful" you will get better... .

She has always been the one child that was easily influenced, that could be peer pressured, that would do whatever to be accepted, right, wrong or indifferent.

I am so afraid for her.
I so don't know what to do.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Kwamina
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 06:56:21 AM »

Hi going places

I do remember you, welcome back here

I was deep in my own depression, w/o dealing with my own health.

Dealing with depression isn't easy. Managing our difficult thoughts and emotions can be quite challenging. Have you in this past year taken steps to better deal with your depression? How is your health now?

Ironically enough, I was right! I handled it wrong, but I was right.
Not in my own mind, but educated licensed professionals, agreed.

Being right and being validated for being right has its value. Whether we are right or whether we are wrong though, I think the most important thing is whether we are happy and whether the people we care about are happy. Currently you are very concerned about your youngest child's welfare.

Today I fear my youngest (22) with a new baby (8/16) is going to hurt herself.

Do you have any indications based on recent information that your daughter is thinking about hurting herself? Or is your fear primarily based on behaviors you might have witnessed from her in the past? Either way, it is horrible for a parent to walk around thinking your daughter might attempt to hurt herself and I am very sorry you are experiencing this.

She has not spoken to me since July 2015.
When she DOES email w/ me it's "eff off, go to hades, etc".

Then she rages on Twitter.

You have not spoken to her for a long time now. You do mention some email contact that did not go so well. Were you the one to initiate those email contacts?

Those rages on Twitter you mention, were they about the email contacts she had with you?

Her posts on Pintrest are so dark, dark, dark.

Though you haven't spoken to her in quite some time, you still follow her social media expressions. Could you perhaps tell us a bit more about these posts which you describe as very dark? What does your daughter talk about?

She wants to be "daddies girl" but can't.
... .
He slammed the door in my daughters face. Emotionally and mentally, that has wrecked her.

Becoming a mother is a significant event. It is sad that based on what you've shared, her father seems unwilling to be there for her now. When you say your daughter wants to be daddy's girl, are you echoing something she has directly expressed herself or is this your own assessment of her behaviors that you've witnessed?

I am so afraid for her.
I so don't know what to do.

Fear is a powerful emotion that can seriously affect us. What are you most afraid of, that she might do something to hurt herself or are you also afraid of other things?

You currently are NC with your daughter, would you like to have contact with her again? Is this NC situation possibly also something that scares you, the thought that this NC might last or the uncertainty about how long this NC will last?

Take care

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
going places

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 07:46:28 AM »

Hi going places

I do remember you, welcome back here

Dealing with depression isn't easy. Managing our difficult thoughts and emotions can be quite challenging. Have you in this past year taken steps to better deal with your depression? How is your health now?

Amazing. I finally reached out, and receive the help that untangled what was done, why, and how to (a) not repeat and (b) manage life in a healthy way!

Excerpt
Being right and being validated for being right has its value. Whether we are right or whether we are wrong though, I think the most important thing is whether we are happy and whether the people we care about are happy. Currently you are very concerned about your youngest child's welfare.

Being validated, assured that you are NOT the 'crazy one'... .was enormous in the healing process. It is so very important.

Excerpt
Do you have any indications based on recent information that your daughter is thinking about hurting herself? Or is your fear primarily based on behaviors you might have witnessed from her in the past? Either way, it is horrible for a parent to walk around thinking your daughter might attempt to hurt herself and I am very sorry you are experiencing this.

Yes. I do have good information.

Excerpt
You have not spoken to her for a long time now. You do mention some email contact that did not go so well. Were you the one to initiate those email contacts?

Yes, I am the one who initiates. She does not. She is reactive.

Excerpt
Those rages on Twitter you mention, were they about the email contacts she had with you?

Yes. I can tell when she is raging at me, and when she is raging at others. It is very obvious.

Excerpt
Though you haven't spoken to her in quite some time, you still follow her social media expressions. Could you perhaps tell us a bit more about these posts which you describe as very dark? What does your daughter talk about?

Suicide, Suicide dates, cutting, depression, anxiety, panic attacks, worthlessness... .it's dark.

Excerpt
Becoming a mother is a significant event. It is sad that based on what you've shared, her father seems unwilling to be there for her now. When you say your daughter wants to be daddy's girl, are you echoing something she has directly expressed herself or is this your own assessment of her behaviors that you've witnessed?

She 'was' daddy's girl. Went with him to a part time job where he was a mechanic, her 16th bday she and he went to visit his dad out of state so they could go riding, etc.
Of my 3 kids, she is the most easily manipulated.
The divorce and the circumstances was devestating and she was affected in the most negative way.

Excerpt
Fear is a powerful emotion that can seriously affect us. What are you most afraid of, that she might do something to hurt herself or are you also afraid of other things?

My fears are that she is not mentally healthy, unrsolved hurt, trauma and anger AND THEN on top of that, that her husband is abusing her. Mentally, emotionally, financially and sexually.
My fear is that she will stay in a very bad situation, dark place, because she is stubbon, and does not like to be 'wrong'. I fear, I will lose her, forever... .

Excerpt
You currently are NC with your daughter, would you like to have contact with her again? Is this NC situation possibly also something that scares you, the thought that this NC might last or the uncertainty about how long this NC will last?

Take care

Yes, I do want to have contact with her, I want to get her to help, to a doctor, to a counselor.
Again, myself and her sister (who she does talk too) are the only 2 trying to steer her to help.
Knowing the stubbornness, and her mind being so fried, she could go the rest of her life not talking to me... .

I just want her to get help.
And it breaks my heart she will not go.
Kwamina
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 09:50:57 AM »

Suicide, Suicide dates, cutting, depression, anxiety, panic attacks, worthlessness... .it's dark.

This is very concerning indeed. Does your daughter have a history of suicidal ideation? Has she ever talked about suicide before?

My fears are that she is not mentally healthy, unrsolved hurt, trauma and anger AND THEN on top of that, that her husband is abusing her. Mentally, emotionally, financially and sexually.

Is it just that you fear her husband is abusing her or do you know for a fact that he is being abusive?

This is a difficult situation since she's an adult and doesn't live with you anymore. She does still talk to her sister, has she perhaps told her that her husband is being abusive?

My fear is that she will stay in a very bad situation, dark place, because she is stubbon, and does not like to be 'wrong'. I fear, I will lose her, forever... .

In our minds it is easy to think very far ahead and then days quickly turn into weeks, then months and then years. As hard as it can be, I would advice you to try to keep your thoughts in the present as much as possible and try to take it one day at a time. Perhaps mindfulness/meditation can help you, have you ever tried this?

Yes, I do want to have contact with her, I want to get her to help, to a doctor, to a counselor.
Again, myself and her sister (who she does talk too) are the only 2 trying to steer her to help.
... .
I just want her to get help.
And it breaks my heart she will not go.

Ultimately it is your daughter and your daughter alone who decides what she does with her live. It is clear that you care about her though and are very concerned for her well-being. How is her relationship with her sister? Has your daughter in this last year perhaps not to you but to her sister said anything about how she views her own behavior?

The Board Parrot

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
going places

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 07:22:31 AM »

This is very concerning indeed. Does your daughter have a history of suicidal ideation? Has she ever talked about suicide before?

She has been on 2 or 3 72 holds at the psych ward for attempts. The lastest was a month ago. She put a gun to her chin, and her soon to be ex husband stopped it and called the police.

Excerpt
Is it just that you fear her husband is abusing her or do you know for a fact that he is being abusive?

I have not personally seen her abuse her, but my oldest who HAS met him can see the signs.
It is not physical abuse, but mental and emotional.

Excerpt
This is a difficult situation since she's an adult and doesn't live with you anymore. She does still talk to her sister, has she perhaps told her that her husband is being abusive?

Yes, she has told her sister, and her gf that I speak to (w/o her knowledge).
Unfortunately, my daughter struggles to tell the truth.
But; the soon to be ex husband was having an affair the whole time she was pregnant, shipped her to his mothers house 3 hours away so she could 'learn how to be a wife', etc. He has kept her very isolated... .

Excerpt
In our minds it is easy to think very far ahead and then days quickly turn into weeks, then months and then years. As hard as it can be, I would advice you to try to keep your thoughts in the present as much as possible and try to take it one day at a time. Perhaps mindfulness/meditation can help you, have you ever tried this?

I have come to the conclusion that until she reaches out to me, there is nothing I can do.
I "thought" when she lost custody of her baby that would be the bottom she had to hit, to reach out.
It is not.
I do not understand how she can 'tweet, facebook, etc' about how drunk she is and some guy she met on a hook up ap... .when she has a baby. I do not understand... .I am assuming that's part of BPD?

Excerpt
Ultimately it is your daughter and your daughter alone who decides what she does with her live. It is clear that you care about her though and are very concerned for her well-being. How is her relationship with her sister? Has your daughter in this last year perhaps not to you but to her sister said anything about how she views her own behavior?

The Board Parrot

My oldest daughter, and my middle son and I are very close.
My oldest is reading every book available on BPD to understand.
My son has less empathy. He does not get sucked into her drama and calls her to the rug.
That's why they have an on again, off again, relationship.
She will cut him off for months, then she will initiate conversation... .

Holy God this is a mess.
How did this happen?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest