Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 06:32:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wife accuses me of cheating  (Read 370 times)
James9741
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: March 27, 2017, 12:19:03 PM »

Hi,

I'm married 28 years, always faithful, good provider, heavily invested in family. Three years ago, wanting a new career that felt like I was giving something back, I became a teacher. Beginning of 2nd year of teaching, my wife thought I was having an affair with one (or maybe two) other teachers. Then with the owner of the place we get our dog groomed. My daughter's soccer coach. The list just kept growing. I quit my job, we bought a nice little RV, and we traveled for 5 months with our youngest (14yo daughter) and the family dog. Then took a job close to home working part-time. We take art classes and exercise together twice a week.

When she gets angry, she loses it. Has called me at various times a narcissist, a gaslighter, a psychopath, a sh*tbag. I don't lose control, but often find it hard not to get angry. I'm not sure what's going on for her. Seems like anxiety and depression, wasn't thinking it could be BPD, but from some of the posts, I guess it may be possible.

While she seems ok with me being at work, I spend most of my nonwork time staying physically close to her to reduce likelihood she'll think I'm up to something. She reads through all of my past emails, reinterprets and twists things I've said trying to justify her theories.

The blowups used to be twice a week. In the past year, has dropped to one/month. But had one yesterday, as usual completely unexpected, correlated with hormones, and she was screaming, could not be stopped until I told her out she was behaving like a child, and I could not talk to her until she lowered her voice.

Despite the lower frequency, I feel depleted, and live with a constant low-level anxiety that any given day will suddenly go bad with no warning.

Looking to be pointed in a good direction. Thank you.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Stolen

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 12:53:27 PM »

James,

There are some interesting posts on this subject here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=307673.0

And welcome.  Trust me that what seems bewildering to you has graced these halls more than you can imagine... .

isilme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 03:01:18 PM »

Cheating is a common accusation.  There are lots of reasons, from simple BOPD fear of abandonment to full on projection by a person who IS cheating or contemplating it, and trying to claim you are, too.  

BPD is not exclusive of anxiety and/or depression or hormonal issues.  Rather, think of it as a person with diabetes can still sprain their ankle or get the flu.  And when you one issue already, and another issue is added, anyone is more likely to feel cranky and volatile.  

H regularly implies or flat out accuses me of cheating.  In the past, about 10 years back, he was a big flirt, and emotionally cheated on me.  I almost left, it was a bad time, but we got past it and he made a big effort to keep me.  Amazing effort given how much he'd taken me for granted in the past.

But his BPD cannot allow him to believe the truth - I have never cheated, I have never been tempted, and he is the only person I have ever been with.  It does not compute with his own feelings, actions, guilt, and self-hatred.  Somewhere, his shame he tries to run away from with all the angry outbursts, is tied to a lot of self-loathing, lack of worth, and he cannot believe I'd see anything in him, so it's easier to believe I am simply lying and cheating.  Which goes back in a feedback loop to him feeling he deserves to feel bad about himself, wallow in pity, and strike out verbally in anger.  He even has dreams that I am cheating (in the dreams I treat him how he has often treated me in the past, and even at times now - rude, aggressive, disregarding of feelings).

You don't need to let your W see your emails.  It does not "prove" anything.  Logic and proof and facts are not the issue.  Her feelings dictate her truth.  Her feelings state you must be cheating / have cheated.  Stating anything else is invalidating in her mind.  This does not mean validate it, it just means pick your battles and when you CAN validate.  

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest