Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 09:05:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Support and Advice Appreciated  (Read 388 times)
yadi04

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: March 28, 2017, 04:46:22 PM »

Where do I even begin? It's strange to think that I have never sought comfort in an anonymous way like this as my relationship with my mother has been my biggest stressor for as long as I can remember and I have also never felt comfortable sharing that piece of my life with others. I have gone through periods of my life where I just "cut her off" or just kept a very big distance and honestly, that is what I had decided was for the best. The love and hate that I can feel for one person at the same time baffles. Even as I sit here writing this there is a knot in my stomach and I can't stop shaking.

We had an awful year when I was about fifteen. We lost my great-grandmother, my grandfather, and one of my uncles in about eighteen months. In fact, my uncle over-dosed on my mother's birthday. My step-father had an affair and separated from my mother. Certainly my mother couldn't have been well before, but I don't remember it ever impacting me in this way. My mother started drinking. Then she started getting DUI's. She got an assault charge. She lost her driver's license, we lost our home. Boyfriends came and went. Then she lost custody of my two younger siblings. I didn't see or talk to my sister for almost five years and to this day have not had contact with my brother.  It's been ten years. Once she lost custody of them, I tried to help my mom in the best way a sixteen year old knows how. I was her DD and took care of her when she had drank way too much. I was her emotional support. I asked her to stop drinking. I asked her to find a way to fight for my siblings. I asked her to find a way to support us. She would get mad or make me feel guilty. She was the mother. I don't worry about those things. She didn't have a drinking problem. For two years I held on, but things just went further down hill.

A few weeks after I got married to my ex-husband, my mother told me she was pregnant. I was furious. This woman who had already taken two siblings from me was going to bring another life in the world. How dare she. How could I possibly attach to another sibling after what had happened? Nevertheless, I remained in contact and hoped to make the best of it. Knowing in my gut I should never get too close. Then, my mom was sent to prison for "shock treatment" for all the DUI's she had gathered over the past six or seven years. My little brother was born with my mom in shackles. He stayed with acquired family members until she was released shortly after his birth. I met with her after. She told me she had changed. My little brother was her saving grace. She needed him. She was going to do better. Please let's have a relationship. Okay... .I said... .One more chance... .

Surprise. She lied. Domestic violence. Child endangerment charges against my little brother's father and my mother back in prison. I was newly married, fresh out of college, and trying to learn how to navigate my first job. I get a call from my grandmother... ."You're little brother needs a place to go. Take him. Someone has to take care of him and I can't."

I said no. I told my grandmother call children's services, the little guy will be better off, my mother is toxic. And I didn't speak to my mother again for a long time. I didn't know my little brother. I couldn't bring myself to have a relationship with him knowing she would lose him. Knowing it was only a matter of time and I would lose another person I would have grown to love.

Then mom didn't go back. She stabilized. She still wasn't independent. She lived off of my grandmother and step-grandfather, but she stayed out of trouble, didn't violate her probation and stopped shacking up with men. My grandmother begged me. "Forgive" she said. I let my mother back in. I developed a relationship with my little brother. He called me "happy sister". I would visit every month or so. I grew to love him despite knowing that the inevitable would come. I fooled myself into believing mom was better.

My sister, despite only being raised by mom half her life, still somehow managed to turn out like her. She had a suicide attempt in late 2014 and found out she was pregnant. Again I was furious. I had been paying her rent until a month ago. She had no business having a child. First she got mad at me because I wouldn't give her money for an abortion. Then she was mad because I was not excited enough about her pregnancy. Nevertheless, my nephew was born. And I loved him.

My sister had somehow managed to stay with her son's father for about three years. Shortly after my nephew's first birthday, I get a text from my sister telling me I was going to need to come get her. She was leaving him. I told her she was stupid leaving a man who had worked himself nearly to death to support her and my nephew and had managed to stay with her so long. She left anyway and moved in with my grandmother. A horrible custody battle ensued. I went to court dates, supported from a distance as I could, but I refused to bad mouth and hate my nephew's father. My sister refused to let me see my nephew.

Now my mother, sister, and grandmother were all living in the same house. It was only a matter of time before it blew up. In the meantime, I received fantastic news. I was accepted to a doctoral program. I was so happy. I had worked so hard to achieve a goal I had had for years. My partner and I excitedly planned our lives in a new city and I dreamed of what my life would be like as a grad student. Then it happened. My grandmother kicked my mom and sister out and cut them off. Now my mom, my sister and brother were homeless and unemployed. My little brother was 5. My sister found some guy to live with and left my mom and little brother living in a tent. Nothing changed. I worried so much about little brother, but I knew my mother was toxic. Finally, my partner said"bring them here, they can live with us, they can go with us, we will make it work, they're your family". And so I did. They moved in with us. My little brother started kindergarten the same time I started my first year of grad school. My partner took a job working nights so he could help with child care. My mom got a job working evenings. For awhile, things were okay.

Then my partner went out of town to see some friends. Have I mentioned that we had chosen not to have kids? It was a huge adjustment for him to have a five year old around all the time, let alone be the primary care giver for one. He needed a break. The first night he was gone, my mother got drunk. I was sitting on the couch doing homework when she came downstairs and told me how wrong I was for confiding in my uncle that my sister would no longer see my nephew. Nothing could convince her that I was allowed to have support and that she should not take sides between her daughters. I went to bed despite her knocking on my door and trying to get me to talk about it. We tried to talk about it all together later when my partner came home. Mom got defensive. My partner was frustrated because it happened when he wasn't there and my mom got defensive. Nothing changed.

It was downhill from there. Mom started isolating in her room. She came home drunk. She started another fight and we had to end up calling the police. She started staying out drinking and not telling us, even thought we were at home watching her child. She accused my partner of being a bully because he insisted that my six year old brother sleep in his own bed. If I brought up concerns about her drinking she got defensive "why is it always that with you". If I brought up concerns about her mental health it was because I was in the mental health profession and it caused me to see it that way. My partner and I fought each other  because we were so frustrated with the situation. I struggled to balance work, school, and helping take care of my little brother. All the while, my partner and I grew more and more attached to him. I started going to therapy through my school's counseling center. I got some validation. I got some guidance on how to start setting boundaries and limits. I told mom she needed to start looking for her own place and all of the above got worse. She accused me and my partner of abusing her. When I tried to talk to her she refused to open her door and have a face-to-face conversation with me. One night I locked the chain when I went to bed. I got a call almost two hours later that I had locked her out. When I let her in she reeked of alcohol. She tried to tell me she had just been outside smoking a cigarette in thirty degree weather. I told her she needed to be out in thirty days. She said she would be out in fifteen and that" I would be sorry." and that I had been looking for a reason to kick her out anyway.

Last Thursday, I fell asleep reading. She came in my room and tried to tuck me in. I told her she didn't get to accuse me of abusing her and then tuck me into bed. She left my room with a look on her face like I had stabbed her. She moved out on Saturday. The night she left my little brother cried. Worried he wouldn't see us anymore. I held him and told him I would pick him up the next day if mom would let me. "Oh Honey" my mom chided. "Your sister will be able to see you anytime she wants" When I asked her for her house key, she threw it across the parking lot and left. I text her and asked about getting my little brother. She never responded.

Last night she came to get some of her stuff. She didn't even knock. Just walked in. I asked her when I would get to see my little brother. "Oh. We'll have to plan a day" she says. I told her "mom I don't want to see you, I want to see my little brother." "Woow" she said. "Can I pick him up Saturday?" I asked. "Yeah, that would be great I'm working a double." She left without even saying goodbye.

Last night at 10pm, I get the text. "I am so sorry for being a ___ty mother to you. Please just let me move on. Brother and I have been through a lot and he is my main concern right now. I am so sorry if I neglected you. You are my heart. I know thats why you hurt me so much with what [partner] told me and and your demeanor towards me. I wanted us to be close again"

I didn't respond. Then, twenty minutes later. "If you don't want to be around me then you don't need to be around Brother".

My response, "That is not fair to me or to him. He deserves to see his sister. He deserves to have that relationship. My relationship with you shouldn't interfere with my relationship with him. If it does that is putting your needs above his"

An hour later, 11:30pm,

"I can't trust you. I have kept a journal when we moved here. [Partner] is controlling and that is a text book "bully'. He told me you was considered about me because I was a "human being" I will never forget the day. No. I am your mom. [Partner] was nice to my face when you were there.

Brother said you and [partner] make him nervous.

Sorry.

Your loss once again. Brother was just as perfect when you wanted nothing to do with him as he his now!

Call me if you feel the need to see him. Like I said, I would never do that to him.

Package deal. I mean that [my name]. You did this to yourself."

I still haven't responded. I have somehow managed to make it through today by keeping busy and finding places to hide and cry when I get overwhelmed remembering I may never see my little brother again. But I refuse to pretend like nothing happened and give her back the power. I get physically ill just being in her presence and I hope every day for her to get hit by a bus. I'm torn between just giving in so I can see him and the reality that continuing to have a relationship with her will get my own mental health to a point where I will no longer be a good partner or sister or be able to reach my goals. My heart is completely broken. My partner is hurting too as he has grown to love my little brother like his own.

My plan right now is to give no response beyond asking what time I can pick my little brother up. I'm not in therapy right now, so support and advice appreciated. Even just word vomiting like this has made me feel better.
Woolspinner2000
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 09:04:36 PM »

Welcome to our family, Yadi04!

I'm really glad you came here, and that you took time to share your story with us. I'm sure you can use a hug. 

There are many, many other members who will offer listening ears and caring hearts to you as you read and post. We have lots of information that offers hope and understanding for you on this journey. It is tough, no two ways about it, but you are obviously ready to share and begin this journey about yourself, your mom, and how the dynamics of that relationship affect you and those around you.

My mom was an uBPD. Although my story is different, yet it is much the same. There are so many characteristics that overlap with BPDs, but the general traits are there. We have a wonderful list on the side bar that I would encourage you to investigate. Click on any sentence and a larger explanation will pop up. ----->> >

For right now I want to commend you on the love you hold, even still, for those around you, in spite of the pain. Hat's off to you!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) I can tell there is resilience in your soul, and that is definitely something which most of us adult children survivors of a BPD parent have.

You mentioned you are not seeing a T. Is that a possibility for you?

Do you feel as if your mom's cyclical behavior will settle in a few days and then perhaps she will allow you to see your little brother? Does he have any special place where he keeps treasures of his own that your mom won't throw out? I am thinking that if you can somehow give him your name and contact info in case of emergency that may be helpful to him in order to reach out to you.

Here's some extra hugs for your bravery in sharing!    (I didn't share either for many many years until I got into T. It is a huge step to take!)
Wools

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  -C.S. Lewis
yadi04

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 07:08:01 AM »

Thank you. It has been great to read on these posts the overlaps and know that it really isn't me that is the unhealthy one. My hope is that not responding will not escalate her further and she will let me see him even if it is just because she needs childcare. There is still a lot of her stuff at my house that I could not let her have until she let's me see him, but I know that just adds fuel to her fire and I don't want to be that person.

I think finding a way for him to have my information just in case is a great idea. I will definitely think on that more.

I am hoping to get in to see a new therapist on Friday. Until then, it's one day at a time.

Thanks again Wools. I really do think this is going to be helpful.
Woolspinner2000
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 08:53:08 PM »

You are very welcome, Yadi04Smiling (click to insert in post)

It is always a joy to encourage others who are struggling with this really hard stuff. I know... .I'm still there myself. I can assure you that it does get better down the road. I will not try to hide the fact that the journey takes courage to continue on, yet even when the way is unclear, keep going, keep posting, and keep reaching out to those who you know are safe. You will learn to thrive and not just survive! Even learning who was safe was a big hurdle for me! My T asked me to give him the names of a handful of people who I could reach out to as my support group. They do not have to be people whom I tell my story to. They are friends with whom I can laugh, go to a movie with, walk in the park with, chat with, whatever. The most important thing is that I began to reach out when I needed healthy connection and a place to run and be safe and get away from the stress of having to deal with my uBPDm and all the issues I started working on with my T. I was so extremely isolated and fearful of talking with anyone. Now I don't know what I'd do without my support people.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) Do you have some people like this in your life? What do you think about this idea?

Excerpt
I think finding a way for him to have my information just in case is a great idea. I will definitely think on that more.

I guess I felt the need to mention this to you because of my protective instincts for those young ones, which you and I were at one time! I know my mom threw out a lot of my things, and nothing of mine was private to her. I've read other posts where this was the case as well. So I don't know what the options are, even if his school could have the info just in case they needed to be in contact with you for example.

I hope your visit with the new T goes well. Often we suggest that you inquire as to whether or not they are familiar with BPD. You'll have to let us know how it goes.

One of the first books I read that is my go to is titled Surviving a Borderline Parent. I will post the link for you to our book review. I stumbled across it ironically when I was visiting my dying mom's bedside. I needed to escape for a while and went to a book store. There is where I pulled this book off the shelf, knowing nothing about it. How helpful it has been to me as I work to unravel the life of dysfunction and had my eyes open to how much influence it had upon me. 

Surviving a Borderline Parent

Here is a link to a workshop which you might find contains some helpful information for you as you think about your little brother. There are many pages, and when I go to them, I can only digest a little at a time. It is easy to go back and read more on another visit to our site. In our hurry to learn, sometimes the brain can get over tired, so be kind to yourself and digest as you can at our site.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Child Development and Parents with Mental Illness

Wools

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  -C.S. Lewis
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest