Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 11:24:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If the person you love is physically ill...  (Read 363 times)
Helplessly

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: August 06, 2017, 09:33:24 AM »

Many stories, including my own, have the shared element of a codependent party (the "non" taking care of a physically ill PD party.  Whether or not the illness is real or psychologically induced, we found ourselves abandoned after "all we did for them."  Quick story...

Last night I was invited on a double date with a girl I've been talking to.  We went to her girlfriend's boyfriend's house.  A pool party of sorts.  Barbecue.  Some little kids involved.  It was a charming enough occasion that ended with the adults playing an uncomfortable game of Cards Against Humanity.  The wine flowed and all was good.

Background; my date's girlfriend is recovering (or recovered) from cancer.  Her last chemo treatment was a little less than a year ago and all is well.  She's a striking lady with outstanding physical features and her short cropped hair accentuates outstanding facial structure.  She's good natured and charming.  Her boyfriend is in love with her like nobody's business.  He offers to babysit her kids (he has no kids) so she can go out with friends.  He sends her flowers to her law firm.  Gift after gift.  Has pet names for each of her kids.  "Monkey-butt" and other nauseating terms.  Sounds and looks perfect doesn't it?

I'm privy to the inside scoop.  My date informed me that since the cancer diagnosis, her friend has been a serial cheater.  They were in NYC together last week and the two didn't talk for three days after arriving home because the friend brought a dude back to the hotel room and tried to have sex in the same room my date was in, forcing my date to sleep in the bathroom for a couple of hours.  Gross. 

Through some gentle interrogation on my part (out of curiosity) a few things emerged;

The life changing diagnosis has the friend in an "only one life to live" mode.  nothing is going to stop her from living her life the way SHE wants and she wants it all. 

The woman is disgusted by the boyfriend's repeated UNREQUESTED outpourings of help and gift giving.  She is 100% sexually turned off by this man because of this and has terminated sexual contact citing that she doesn't feel well.

The men she sleeps with on the DL are always super alpha jerks who you wouldn't want your third cousin dating.

We run out of rum.  The guy asks me to go to the liquor store with him (he forgot his wallet but that's another story).  On the way I gently prod him.  "How do you see this relationship playing out?"  He says he has devoted his entire life and financial resources to this woman and her children and that his only purpose in his life is to make her happy.  I don't feel well at this point and I'm watching the mailboxes race by out the passenger window.  He had $50,000 of capital he reserved for some vintage car he's wanted since he was 2 months old but he's diverting the cash to take the girl to Barcelona and propose to her.  Weirdly this triggered me.  In my brain I yanked the steering wheel and forced him to pull over, subsequently beating the crap out of him.  Instead, I knew my place and kept my mouth shut.

This dude is headed for disaster of the sort that many of us here are headed for.  i felt helpless because I'm recognizing this in the headlights so to speak.

This happened to me.  My ex was experiencing neurological symptoms that were apparently disabling her and I dropped everything to cook for her.  Clean her cats' disgusting litter box.  Take her out.  I blew off my kids.  Compromised everything.  Layed with her.  Cried with her.  Soon, the sex stopped and I couldn't figure out why.  She got meaner.  Contemptuous.  I flipped.  "After all I did." haha.   

In the end she stated to me, "I changed my entire life for you, now I don't know what the future holds and I'm living my life the way I want."  Fair enough.

In the beginning I was highly alpha (not crazy about that term but that's all I have) and a bit aloof.  This caused her to look at me like she was studying me.  It was uncomfortable.  She told me I was the hardest guy to "learn" or "figure out."  In the end I shed most of my monkey traits and morphed into an overly sensitive baby boy.  This also disgusted her.  The mans she's with now is pretty much the type of dude I was when she met me.

These are cautionary tales.  Keep in mind that a cancer diagnosis does not mean that death is inevitable, or that you are suddenly dealing with a blind helpless rodent who needs to be waited on.  Sometimes acutely sick people LIKE to take care of themselves because they KNOW they will get better and don't want to look pathetic or have others feel sorry for them.

More alarmingly, sometimes acutely ill people survey their surroundings through new lenses and decide to make changes they have been trepid about.  Those changes might include a new life without you. 

And finally, don't lose yourself doting on your sick partner.  It's unattractive.  Check in with them frequently and ask them if they WANT help, or a favor, or if they want company.  If they say no, respect that and go do something for yourself.  I never took "no" for an answer.  I thought she was just letting me off the hook and I was trying to prove that I'm going to be there for her no matter what.  Looking back I should have been hitting the links drinking beer every once in a while, or sailing with my family.

Things to think about

roberto516

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 10:16:14 AM »

And finally, don't lose yourself doting on your sick partner.  It's unattractive.  Check in with them frequently and ask them if they WANT help, or a favor, or if they want company.  If they say no, respect that and go do something for yourself.  I never took "no" for an answer.  I thought she was just letting me off the hook and I was trying to prove that I'm going to be there for her no matter what.  Looking back I should have been hitting the links drinking beer every once in a while, or sailing with my family.

Things to think about

Valid points but a fine line to tread with some people. My example. During the recycle I knew I had to do things differently.  I was more patient with her. I didn't force her to speak; I knew in time she would. I did things for her out of actual love instead of expecting something. She offered me sex for doing her homework. I would have jumped on that before and I told her that that's not necessary (I guess a part of me also didn't want to feel like I was buying a prostitute). I also didn't want to give up my independence I was finding during the two month split which I know would only make me a better partner overall.

She was going distant on me for a week. I texted her, obviously seeing the change, if there was anything she wanted to talk about and if I could help. One night she said "No. I don't want to talk to you!" I told her that was okay and I understand. A few days later I asked if she wanted to spend the weekend together. She said no. I said fair enough let's use this weekend for ourselves and do solo self-care. Then she changed her mind immediately. I said I would prefer we stick to the original plan because it's what she originally wanted and I didn't want her to feel pressured to spend time with me if she had other things she really wanted to do.

Next day she says "I don't want a relationship." In that case, I believe, me saying no put her back out of control and the abandonment fears probably came right back. Also, she had stopped doing self-care that whole week prior. So the depression she felt, in her eyes, had to be my fault. I had offered the olive branch of communication but she refused it. At the end of the day, she can't talk about emotions anyway but I did offer instead of taking it personal.

At the end of the day it seems like a lose-lose, at least in my situation. She loved the caretaking. She knew it was always a way to get me back. Every disagreement she would take off from work and tell me she couldn't get out of bed. Well cue the guilty rescuer who felt awful that my actions had led her to have to take off. So in I come to save her from herself and apologize and buy her things to make her feel better. Sigh... .

“Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart. The really great men must, I think, have great sadness on earth.”
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest