Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 12:47:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (Never) ending recycle pattern  (Read 857 times)
onelittleladybug

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2017, 01:00:57 PM »

What did you mean about your internal emotional response, boundaries, and getting fairly upset? Upset in what way?

Well this person is someone who does everything on their terms, doesnt meet in the middle. Literally. She lives across town and sends endless invites to come see her where she is at, but doesnt respond to my invitations to meet in the middle or occasionally come to my end of town and essentially my world. So I have been distancing myself from her socially/emotionally as well. The airport in our city is centrally located and easily accessible, the train runs practically from the terminal to her doorstep. If not there are 2 phone apps that come to mind for a ride home, as well as shuttles, taxis... .Take your pick. I just feel the bid for being picked up is offensive given that she is not participating in my life and interrupting me during my work hours is even more disrespectful.

BUT getting upset about it is maybe somewhat overreacting. So I feel like I responded the right way outwardly, but not on the inside. Im acting wiseminded, but Im not feeling wiseminded... ? Or am I even acting wiseminded?

Thats ok with her because she doesnt know. She just sees the response (or lack of) and gets the underlying message. She is not a key player in my life. But this makes me think of other relationships, especially with pwBPD and how feelings usually read through your words and actions. So if I act calm or pretend to be calm but am really upset, how does that play out with my pwBPD?

You were probably more interested in what I feel though... .

Her question was ":)o you want to pick me up at the airport tonight?" And my honest answer to that question is simply "No I dont want to pick you up at the airport tonight or any other night". A) Im just not interested in playing that role in her life, B) I dont believe she would be there for me in the same manner, C) I dont need airport pick ups, Im fine with public transportation. However I did not feel comfortable answering the question honestly as Im sure that would create a conflict and I hate confrontations. I especially hate them when I am losing interest in a person, most likely because I feel guilty.

This person has many PD traits btw... .Smiling (click to insert in post) I dont have a specific profile but possibly NPD with some B thrown in.

Excerpt
I think that when most of us dig deep, we find that our family of origin has some part to play (usually a big one) in our romantic relationships and the partners we choose. It may help us understand your situation better and help you process if you write about it.

Raised by a single mother in my grandparents house (me and mom lived in the basement apartment). Absent father until later age. He first saw me when I was 2, met my half sister 18 months older when I was 5. Dad entered my life fully when I was 8. Dad went to rehab when I was 10. Tried to become a regular dad but it was too late so he made a lot of mistakes in his approach with me. Had 3 more half siblings, all on his side. Adore them, spent a lot of time with them. Dad was a born again AA man, seriously annoyingly preachy and fanatic about a lot of things. Btw this is a comment on my father, not AA. Nothing wrong with the program. About 10-15 years ago he was dx'd with ADD and has been trying to get me on Ritalin ever since. He left AA by then and started occasionally enjoying wine but very responsibly. I have a very spotty r/s with him, we have had big fall outs but we usually reconnect and it can be a very supportive r/s. Because of the absence in childhood its usually a bit formal, not very affectionate but respectful and somewhat warm. We bond mostly over intellectual things. Though he has given me some of the best r/s advice Ive ever received.

My other father figure was my grandfather. Complete opposite r/s because more emotional. He was the kind of person who couldnt see anyone in trouble, he had to help. He was a very heavy alcoholic that hid bottles around the house, angry. But he supported his family completely, never flaked or left. I possibly see BPD in there now but its been 2 decades since he passed so hard to define. I had a special connection with him. I completely worshipped the ground he walked on as a small child. When I got older I somehow stayed emotionally connected with him even when he was drunk and angry. I became his translator, when my grandmother and my mother were shocked and angry at him for his speech I often became the peacemaker as he was genuinely clumsy with words and I usually understood the meaning behind it which was most often much more benign than what it sounded like.

Mom worked a lot. Never had an official boyfriend. Never got married or cohabited. We moved from my grandparents house when I was 15. I was cooking for myself when I was 11 yo. I was smoking in the house and drinking wine and beer in the house when I was about 15-16. Not drunk but acting like a full on adult making fancy dinners and having wine with it. Mom used to come home and complain about work to me. I then moved out and into a place with my Schizophrenic boyfriend and other friends when I was 16 because I just didnt think I needed to stay home, I was always alone. Mom got me to move back a few months and from thereon I was an adult in my house. Eventually she started treating me like a spouse. My unwillingness to talk about my r/s with my mother got me kicked out of therapy when I was 18. I was working full time and paying for my own T... .

I moved to the US in my early 20's after grandfathers passing from cancer, my ex boyfriends suicide and myself going through severe depression. I was alone but had close friends here that helped me. A few years later my mother followed and my life continued to revolve around her. Still does but for the past month a LOT less. I came here as a student but got a permanent resident status and havent looked back since. Well except when I go through b/u's then I always think Im gonna move back to Europe but then I dont.

Excerpt
So, are you saying that you think that having "the talk" will result in some change within him?

Well... .We talked a lot last night. Im pathetic, after everything I said yesterday I ended up staying over. He said he was fried last Friday from a particularly bad work week. He didnt apologize, he justified. He doesnt apologize anymore. But we overall had a good talk. Got in a circular argument about my adhd. He keeps steering the topic to mental health. I think he wants me to say something about him, he knows I think he has BPD. Im very afraid to open that can of worms. But mentally preparing myself. I ended the argument by just stopping, it seemed pretty straightforward to do.

I got a point through to him that Im very happy about. I told him that at the core of me being upset about his accusations of getting with my roommate (and essentially cheating) is that the behavior he is projecting on me deeply goes against my personal values. That he was so busy making assumptions about me that he was missing out on getting to know me and what I stand for. He mirrored what I said back a bit later so I know he was truly listening. I woke up feeling good about things because of that.

I should add that before this I validated that the situation, me having a man move in with me on very short notice whom neither of us knew, was very stressful for both of us. I also asked him to give my new roommate a chance, spend some time over at my house and get to know her after she moves in. He agreed.

Excerpt
I cannot speak for you friend, but I can tell you, as someone who has attempted suicide, at that point, when you've completely given up and the pain is great with no way to see anything else, there's not a whole lot that anyone can say or do. I'm guessing that you already know this, but it's entirely possible that your staying would have changed nothing in his world.

Sorry Meili, I remember now reading that part of your history and had forgotten 

Well the back story was a love triangle. A woman was trying to win him and I let her. I walked. They ended up having a kid, but by then he was so obviously in a really bad state and I was mad at her for adding this responsibility and stress to his life when I thought it was so obvious that he couldnt handle it. He ended his life when his little girl was just a few months old. I dont know if he had been considering it for a while but I know he attacked the mother of his child and as he was a really gentle person who I would never have imagined hurting anyone, in my mind he couldnt live with it. But I wasnt around then so I dont know the full story. I just remember him crying when I said to him on the phone that I had met someone else (we had been apart for months), that was many years before all this. They didnt officially become a couple until 2 years after we parted. I feel like I drove him to her somehow. But you are right its not a given that he would have survived his illness and even so, as he became violent that was not a good life for him.

-- There is no love without forgiveness and no forgiveness without love--
--You create what you focus on--
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Meili

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2017, 01:39:35 PM »

It sounds like there has been a lot of struggle and strife in your past. I'm sorry that you have had to go through all of that. It also sounds like it has made you a much stronger person. Thank you for being so candid about your history and sharing that with us.

Being upset by your "friend's" actions makes perfect sense to me. I'm pretty sure that anyone would feel that way. You are more kind than I would have been. ":)o you want to pick me up at the airport tonight?" like she's doing you some sort of a favor? hhmmm... .

I think that you were pretty Wiseminded. You recognized your emotions, you didn't allow them to control you, and you thought about how and when you wanted to respond.

Dealing with "pretending" with pwBPD is a bit different. They tend to be hypervigilent about the emotional states of others. I find little reason to pretend about my emotions. I do try to be very aware of how I convey those emotions however.

Did you ever get back into therapy?
onelittleladybug

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 01:18:15 PM »

It sounds like there has been a lot of struggle and strife in your past. I'm sorry that you have had to go through all of that. It also sounds like it has made you a much stronger person. Thank you for being so candid about your history and sharing that with us.

I guess thats right. Im always drawn to other people who had a broken FOO so to me this is normal. I am strong though, thank you for saying that Smiling (click to insert in post) Thanks for listening.

Excerpt
":)o you want to pick me up at the airport tonight?" like she's doing you some sort of a favor? hhmmm... .

Yeah that is what it sounded like to me. To be fair she may have meant it more like "do you feel like picking me up?" And I can almost guarantee in her mind it was a way to connect. But... .It didnt work for me and Im learning that its very important that I respect my own needs about how to be approached and generally treated. Now if I could only apply this to my r/s with my pwBPD... .Ha! But all joking aside Ive been having long conversations with my BFF (the psychologist one) about prioritizing. My claim is that I need to operate on a tiered basis where some people in my life come first, others are dealt with when I have extra time. My BFF is the most empathetic person Ive ever known and she wants to understand everyone. I keep making the argument that you cannot possibly be available, emotionally present and ready to do work to improve every r/s you have in life.

Anyway my point is that this friend has been downgraded in priority level and Im resisting feeling obligated to work on improving the friendship because I essentially have bigger fish to fry. For that matter so does she based on what I know to be going on in her life.

Excerpt
I think that you were pretty Wiseminded. You recognized your emotions, you didn't allow them to control you, and you thought about how and when you wanted to respond.

Cool! Smiling (click to insert in post)
Progress

Excerpt
Dealing with "pretending" with pwBPD is a bit different. They tend to be hypervigilent about the emotional states of others. I find little reason to pretend about my emotions. I do try to be very aware of how I convey those emotions however.

Yes he will pick up any little thing. But - speaking of improvement. I just remembered how he used to interpret every facial expression as negative. That hasnt been happening lately!

Also more on improvement: He was sick last night, I texted about bringing food if he set us up with movies. He didnt respond. I did my own thing, checked in again later. He said "I just dont really like being fussed over when Im sick". I answered "Are you sure youre male?" No - I actually didnt say that Im totally kidding. I said "I get it, I dont like it either". He checked in on a regular basis throughout the rest of the night and I got the feeling he was checking to see if I was available to talk, which would mean I was not with my roommate. Whatever. The guy moves out in 2 days. I really do understand the uneasiness with this.

The lack of response for 2 hrs could also have been because he asked "Are we sick?" But my answer was "No. Are you? I initially read the question as "are you getting sick. I didnt notice the "we". He is very observant of details and has brought up that I sometimes reject his bids for connection (usually that happens when Im actually feeling rejected).

The most positive thing about last nights communication was that I didnt slip into full rejection mode while I was waiting for a reply. Hes given me ST so many times that I usually have an instant emotional reaction to just the slightest delay. Im aware of it and trying to work on it.

I should add I dont have a problem with a 2 hr lag or longer unless its a time sensitive question (want me to make you dinner?) That was posed immediately after he responded about something else, so I know he saw it. This is the stuff that irks me. He later said "I feel awful, Im sorry". Its been a long time since I saw that word. This is a good thing, I hope he starts using it more often.

Excerpt
Did you ever get back into therapy?

No. I really want to and will as soon as I am able financially. I do get some help from my T friends, its not the same but its a lot better than being without. A person with my background should be in T. I read A LOT. Articles, books, watch youtube videos. Anything I can get my hands on. It helps. But it doesnt replace the relationship you have with a T.

I dont want to leave the thread today without mentioning my resolution that I made a couple days ago about being just friends. I did decide to not go ahead with it until I have had a good talk with my pwBPD, because things are complicated. He keeps saying things like "baby steps" and the talk we had a couple days ago was a r/s conversation but it needs to be talked about more.

Meili

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2017, 03:10:18 PM »

All of that does sound like progress!  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Be careful with the r/s talk(s). If you sense that he's starting to feel enmeshed or abandoned, things can go bad rather quickly.

One night, my x started a r/s talk, at the time, I didn't know what she was doing, but she was going to give us another chance. I said something that triggered the abandonment fear in her and that ended that chance to reconcile.
onelittleladybug

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2017, 04:08:35 PM »

Be careful with the r/s talk(s). If you sense that he's starting to feel enmeshed or abandoned, things can go bad rather quickly.

One night, my x started a r/s talk, at the time, I didn't know what she was doing, but she was going to give us another chance. I said something that triggered the abandonment fear in her and that ended that chance to reconcile.

Thanks for the reminder. Thats my pwBPD to a tee. I keep saying its just because Im right in front of him every day that this hasnt ended. As sad as that sounds.

I had not really planned exactly how or what I was going to talk about but now that you bring this up I think Im only really going to bring up that his trust issues are his issues and I cant fix them for him. Then hang in there for a few more days, if no change then go back to what we talked about earlier this week (stop staying over).

PUVAS seems to be working best for me. I am going to post a new thread this weekend asking you guys to help me with it. I am feeling like Dearman and SET dont work as well in this constant push and pull situation, but you will probably see something Im not seeing.

onelittleladybug

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2017, 12:57:44 PM »

And the saga continues... .Its been a long and busy week for me so Im posting now about something that happened one week ago.

I made dinner to celebrate my new housemate moving in (Ive been calling her roomie but thats technically incorrect as I live in a 2 bedroom house on 2 floors). I had been planning this for more than a week. I invited my pwBPD and of course my housemate as she was the "guest of honor" in her own new home. Housie took off for supposedly an errand right before dinner time which was weird. I should state Im a pretty good cook, pwBPD loves everything I make. Housie is a good cook too, I think she likes my cooking although she would prefer to have exclusive rights to the kitchen  Anyway I could write a very long version of the story but they both flaked. Dinner time came and I was alone. I told both of them I was cancelling. PwBPD got upset so I said ok then I will finish the dinner, please come over asap. Fifteen minutes later I told him dinner is ready. He then said he lost track of time and needs to shower. At 9.30 pm I had made and had dinner and then sat waiting alone on my patio for quite some time. It was already dark. I was feeling lonely (something that doesnt actually happen very often) and kind of thinking fts... .I wanted to try to turn my Saturday night positive. I had been working hard in the garden all day and was tired but not ready to go to bed. So I thought I might just go out and catch a movie by myself or something. Or maybe I should go to my studio which is close to my house and work on a creative project for myself (vs for clients). So I texted pwBPD to let him know I was taking off and then I left the house. PwBPD got super pissed off. Language and stuff. I had been calm, composed all night but when he started cursing me off for leaving after all this I exploded. I said a few things, all true. Probably all triggers for him.

I got things sorted with housemate the day after. Her POV is dinner can be anytime. My POV is no dinner is not any time, there is a time range for it which is culturally understood. That you wouldnt show up for lunch at 4 pm so why would you expect dinner at 10 pm. She said "I always make dinner at 10" and I told her that doesnt work for me and Ive already explained many times I dont eat dinner after 8 the very latest because it literally creates health problems for me (I have a sensitive digestive system and I have to be really mindful of when I eat even more than what I eat).

PwBPD however is still mad. Gave me ST until I ran into him outside last night (day 6). I said "I thought we said we still love each other when we are mad at each other?" He said "yes we do. Im still mad at you though so Im not talking". I said "well I hope your anger subsides soon or we can talk about it or both". He didnt really answer he just got in his car and took off to his annual summer family camping trip.

I resolved to not rely on those two again for dinner and anything involving a set time and make plans with other more reliable people instead. I had another dinner party last night and invited a couple I know that are really good company and very dependable. We had a really nice night.

Some thoughts: PwBPD has intense social anxiety. He was probably trying to make it over and couldnt muster as Housie is new to him and he generally has not liked the idea of her and my friendship with her. For a while he believed she was my lesbian lover. Im completely hetero, this was during his intense jealousy phase. She does tend to be needy with me but I think thats just who she is and that she is like that with everyone close to her. Anyway he is trying hard to be ok with all of this but he isnt. I was upset for 2-3 days about all of this but once I calmed down I saw this side of things. I work alone all day and I want company at night and weekends. I need to go outside of my home to get this as these people are not reliable. This will cause problems. I see him and his needs but I have my own. Im trying to figure out how to take care of myself. Im wondering if doing so will eventually cause the r/s to fizzle out. His absence is starting to make me move on emotionally. I dont think its working the same way for him.

Im beginning to worry quite a bit about the social anxiety thing, and thinking he desperately needs T for that even more so than PBD. I think he might be susceptible to the suggestion of seeing a T for anxiety. He recently asked me about my panic attacks and how I handled them and why Im not still having them. I told him my bff is a T and when I was having my big one I parked my car and called her. She talked me through it and explained really well to me what was happening and since then they dont get bad because Im not afraid of them. He mostly got annoyed that I involved her or maybe he just didnt like me talking about anyone but me and him. I had the feeling the answer he wanted to hear was that I somehow magically did it myself but I think I got through to him at least a bit.

The tools are working better for housie than pwBPD. Not a great example of tools maybe but the most recent example I can remember: She keeps forgetting to lock the door, I reminded her a couple times. She got upset and projected. So I flipped it to "we" have to remember to lock the door, and its all new but "we" will get there. I dont forget to lock the door but if talking about it this way is what makes it so that she remembers it doesnt matter to me. I just need the door locked and the house burglar free. Knock on wood.

Meili

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2017, 11:42:42 AM »

Having people not follow through with plans is frustrating, to say the least. Defining your boundary on that matter and deciding to make sure that your own needs are met without relying on others is a really good way to handle that IMHO. I find that I must do that in my own r/s.

Have you read the lesson on How to handle a jealous partner who is also BPD? When I read about your pwBPD being jealous of both the temp roomie and the housemate, I thought of this part of that lesson:

Excerpt
The BPD is saying, in essence, that they aren’t comfortable with something the partner is doing. Yet many times the accusation is based on scanty knowledge, incorrect interpretations, and make-believe beliefs. The BP wants reassurance and changes to make them feel better NOW, but to do that, the partner ends up changing so much that they lose a part of themselves in the process.

It is good to see that you are working to keep who you are in this process. It may seem counter-intuitive, but being strong and firm about who we are is something that pwBPD need in their lives. It provides them with a sense of security.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest