Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 02:21:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Poll
Question: How do convince my daughter to get help that she needs?
How do I get past my own feelings of loss and helplessness? - 2 (66.7%)
Why does my husband not acknowledge our daughter's diagnosis? - 0 (0%)
Why can't I stop blaming myself? - 0 (0%)
My child was a colicky baby, never self soothed and barely slept as a young child? Was she predisposed for BPD? - 1 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My 18 year old daughter with BPD refuses treatment and has run away.  (Read 490 times)
Momneedsavaca
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: June 09, 2017, 09:28:53 PM »

My daughter was diagnosed recently with BPD. She was hospitalized because of extremely irrational behavior. She was threatening suicide, lying about her father and I, telling others that we abused and neglected her, and ran away multiple times in one week to go live with her boyfriend. She tried to drop out of high school and refuses to get medical treatment for her BPD/anxiety/depression and lied about going to the doctor for birth control. I feel an overwhelming sense of loss and sadness since these events have occurred and since her behaviors have escalated. The only control that I had was over her cell phone and car, which I pay for so I took them away since she has not complied with our expectation of going to school and going to her doctors appointments. Feeling a sense hopelessness. No one in my family understands and believes that she is just being a rebellious teenager. Even my husband is in denial over the diagnosis.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
1hope

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 08:08:34 AM »

The impulsive behaviour is the hardest for me to understand too.  The fact that she's 18 is so difficult too, because technically she's an adult (although it's hard for us to accept when we see they're in pain and need help). 

Does your daughter admit that she has BPD?  I wonder if that was why it was different for me... .she actually came to me and said she thought she had it .   Up until then we thought it was anxiety and depression.

I'm hoping that this forum will be a support for us as parents.  It's so difficult!  I read a book that my daughter's psychiatrist recommended called "Stop walking on Eggshells" by Paul T Mason and Randi Krueger.  It's pretty good. 

Hoping you have a better day today! 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest