Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 06:43:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi everyone  (Read 348 times)
doc33
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 08, 2017, 09:50:10 AM »

It's such a relief to find this forum - there's so much I want to say and it's felt like I've had nowhere to say it for the longest time.

My significant other and I have been together for a year and a half.  She's the most incredible human being I have ever met; beautiful, spontaneous, intelligent, creative, engaging, and synchronous with me on a mental, spiritual, and physical level.  We quickly fell in love and progressed our relationship - and that's when I started noticing what we labelled "distance"

":)istance" has all sorts of tells - making me the villain, suddenly claims out of nowhere that "we moved way too fast," an inability to show affection or even support, a need to establish "boundaries" around our relationship, saying incredibly hurtful things [Leaving my ex was a huge mistake, this relationship is not healthy, you're a horrible parent], intentional efforts to hurt [telling me to pack all my things and leave, listing someone else as an emergency contact because "I couldn't be trusted"] - I'm missing like 15 other tells, but she has the journal that I wrote them down in with her this weekend.

Anyway, "distance" would last for a few days in the beginning, and then she'd "melt" and be so apologetic and reconciliatory that I thought all was well again.  I wrote it off as grieving on her part.  She would often melt when something signifying abandonment or loss took center stage - like a break-up song, or me doing something unconventional [leaving the house versus sticking out an argument].  The closer we grew, and the further we got in the path of discovery around what is fueling this "distance," the longer the periods have become.  They've also become much more intense, and have taken a much deeper toll on me emotionally.  The most recent round, which we're just now emerging from - lasted weeks.  What seems to have prompted it was a renovation we are planning for her house which would signify a huge commitment in our relationship - namely, building rooms downstairs for my 2 kids since her house currently has room for her daughter and just 1 of my kids.  It was AWFUL this time, and I was at a breaking point numerous times - but toward the end, I got her to meet with a psychiatrist she's been working with for about a year - and I got her to read this person all the "tells" I wrote down in our journal.  The psychiatrist instantly diagnosed her with Borderline and believes it came from childhood trauma of some sort.  She recommended the book "I hate you, don't leave me" and my partner bought it right away.  It landed on her - and for a couple of days, I was the knight in shining armor who stuck it out with her long enough to help her reach this self-discovery by refusing to back down and holding a mirror up to her in her moments of distance.  But then I paid dearly with one of the worst "distance" periods yet - she made me pack all my things in my car before telling me the next day that I could bring them back.

This is such a surreal world to me - it feels like a room of fun house mirrors.  One day, she's picking the engagement ring she wants me to buy - LITERALLY - she took me to a local jewelry store and showed me exactly what she wanted, right down to the setting and the cut and size of the diamond.  The next day, she's telling me she should have never left her marriage because at least there, someone wasn't "suffocating her all the time."

I am a million percent committed to this relationship, but being penalized for closeness - which is what it feels like - drives me to the edge.  I get so completely overwhelmed sometimes, and the thing that's hurting me the most is getting to the edge of commitment in our partnership - which I've been ready for for quite some time - and being sharply pushed back to where we were 9 months ago in our relationship.  It's so cyclical - closeness leads to distance, distance leads to exasperation, and exasperation leads to pushing us backwards.  Once the commitment is scaled down, the closeness returns, we feel "better" so we move ahead again and then the cycle repeats.

I need help - not need, but NEED.

Help me learn how to love this beautiful person, PLEASE.  Give me a place where I can shed all of my emotional reactivity (hurt, pain, loneliness, anger, resentment) so I can take the pressure off of her and be the partner she needs me to be. 

This person is my soulmate, and I'm asking for your help before it's too late.  We've gotten to the edge of the cliff several times, and I would never forgive myself for pushing this beautiful person away.

PLEASE HELP.

I just bought the Essential Family Guide on Kindle and plan to read it, but I need a listening ear and people who will normalize this experience for me.  One more oddness - my partner will push me away and both of my kids; she'll drastically push us away.  And not just us - she'll also push her mom away, and her mom has been one of the closest people in her life.  But the dynamic with her daughter is very strange - she'll actually smother her daughter (she's 5) and become completely codependent on her daughter's emotions.  Does that make any sense?

I'm sorry - I know this is rambling - but it underscores my desperation around finding a way to manage this before it becomes too much for me.

Please, please help.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 11:20:58 AM »

Hi doc,

Welcome to the boards. I'm sorry you are feeling so isolated in your relationship. Sadly one of the defining features of BPD is the push/pull behavior. When our pwBPD begins to feel too close to us, they will just as quickly push away to protect themselves from being hurt.

I've never read the Essential Guide to BPD, but it's on my list. I hope you can find some help in areas that you feel like you struggle. I would also like to suggest that you check out our workshops on the right side of the page. There are lots of workshops on understanding your relationship with a pwBPD, communication skills, and things to do to work on keeping yourself emotionally healthy.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

halcyon

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: engaged/2years

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 11:43:26 AM »

Hey there... .welcome to the forum Smiling (click to insert in post)

I haven't been here long myself, but it's been very helpful, just in terms of feeling "less alone".  I try to get on here a few times a week and just read, because just knowing there are others going through similar experiences helps SO much.  I hope it helps you too.

I get what you mean by needing to "normalize" the experience.  A partner of someone with BPD can end up feeling very isolated and alone for a LOT of reasons.  For one thing, the relationship itself can take up a lot of time (especially in the beginning, before either of you have the proper "tools" or knowledge for the job).  You can spend hours in circular arguments, and even more hours inside your own head, trying to figure out what the hell is happening to you.  At the end of the day, it can leave very little time left for friends or other loved ones.  Not to mention the fact that it can also start to feel so confusing inside your own head... .that confusion can definitely make you feel like you're the only one on the planet with a relationship like this.

But I promise you are not Smiling (click to insert in post)  And you are in the right place to start feeling a lot less alone.

Would it help you to hear that my first year with my partner was VERY similar to yours?  Eerily similar, in fact.  And I want to stop here and Thank You for sharing your story with us.  Because it was one of those stories that made ME feel "less alone".  I was nodding along the whole time going "yep... .yep... .uh huh."  

So let me tell you a few things that have helped me:

1.)  The knowledge that my partner's emotions are ALWAYS at a 10, while mine are normally at a 0.  When I get stressed, my emotions can go up to 10.  But, when my partner gets stressed, her emotions can EXPLODE to 100!  Why?  Because she's already always at a 10.  BPD's ALL share this common trait.  It's why their emotions are so "dysregulated".  My partner (who has now been in treatment for over a year) often says this:  "I am constantly managing my high emotions.  ALL.  THE.  TIME.  Even when it looks like I'm calm, I am not.  When I look calm, it just means I'm managing them well instead of poorly."  That knowledge alone- that her emotions are at a 10, 24/7- has helped me a great deal in terms of being empathetic and validating.

2.)  The 6 "lessons" listed to your right on this page.  I read through all of them, watched all the videos, and I took notes.  Now I have a notebook full of valuable information, which I can access anytime to help me remember how to better navigate this relationship.  At first, I had to keep going to the notebook every time a "crisis" arrived.  Now, it is starting to come a little more naturally.  And the biggest lesson I keep coming back to, time and time again?  VALIDATE, VALIDATE, VALIDATE.  If you can grasp that concept and use it properly, it will go a LONG way in solving relationship conflicts.  (At least, it has for me).

3.)  The knowledge that I have a right to ask for a "time out" when things are getting too heated or too frustrating.  For the whole first year of my relationship, I was constantly trying to pull her back when she pushed me away.  Through argument, through tears... .(sometimes I even tried grabbing her arm to try and keep her from bolting).  It was exhausting.  For both of us.  And, more importantly, it never made anything better- it only made things worse.  It was only about 6 months ago that I finally realized I could just say:  "I love you, and I will be here to talk this out if/when you are ready.  I promise I will.  But I can't talk to you when you're this upset, so I'm going to the other room for an hour or so."  Usually, when the hours up, she's calmed down and ready to talk without getting upset.  If she's not, we take another hour.  We take as many as we have to until she is calm.  (Or, until I am calm.  Sometimes, she gets calm before I do!  

4.)  The knowledge that she will ALWAYS "come back" if I give her the proper space and time to work out her emotions.  I am still working on this one... .it is a particular hard one for me personally, because I have my own "fear of abandonment", and it gets kicked into high gear every time she "bolts".  She has not threatened to leave me, nor has she packed any bags, in over a year.  THAT particular threat seems to be gone for good (I give her all the credit for that one- it took her going to DBT classes to get that far).  But she still occasionally dysregulates to the point that she just yells, "I'M DONE!" and stomps/runs off like an upset teenager.  And I've learned that following her or trying to talk to her in those moments only makes things worse.  She may still not be very good at vocalizing it, but when she yells "I'M DONE!" and runs away, that is just her way of saying she needs a "time out" of her own.  My biggest fear used to be that she'd just never come back- that's why I always followed her or kept trying to talk things out.  But now I'm getting to the point where I'm just like, "**SIGH** okay, she's too upset to talk.  No big deal.  Now I finally have time to do my nails/do the dishes/take a bubble bath," and I move on with my day.  She ALWAYS comes back.  And now, every time she comes back, she apologizes and hugs me, and we talk it out calmly.

5.)  Setting my own boundaries.  Also: following through on the boundaries I have set.  Some are what we call "hard limits".  Because she DID once pack her bags and leave me, and because the consequences were so high, she knows I will not tolerate another "disappearance".  Get mad and yell "I'M DONE" and stomp off all you want, sure.  But if she's gone for more than 24 hours, she can expect the locks to be changed when she returns.   Other "hard limits": cheating, lying, or asking for any kind of "step back" in our relationship (i.e. now we're engaged/now we're not).  Hard limits would result in me ending the relationship in a permanent way and going "no-contact".  Then, I have what we call "soft limits".  For instance, she can call me the "B" word all she wants, but she better apologize for it once she's realized it's come out of her mouth.  Any "soft limit" violation, and I would expect an apology later (and often I would also expect us to talk about how that made me feel, and how she might avoid that behavior in the future).  The reason I differentiate between "hard limits" and "soft limits" is because she REALLY needs to know that I don't expect PERFECTION.  That is really important, because she is NEVER going to be perfect at this.  It will always be a struggle for her, so I have to keep my expectations realistic   But, by knowing at all times where I stand in terms of my boundaries, she is learning to respect them- even when she IS dysregulating.  And you know what else?  It helps me have more respect for myself as well.

Anyway, I hope this site helps you.  It has helped me, just by responding to this post Smiling (click to insert in post)  Good luck!

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest