Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 09:34:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An attempt at simplifying our problem  (Read 435 times)
virtualfriday

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: October 12, 2017, 12:59:51 PM »

This is as simple and easy to understand as I tried to explain "our" problem after a recent fight... .

No one is perfect or without faults... .
What you just did or just said hurt me badly (emotionally)
When I brought my "hurt" to your attention you become "hurt" yourself
Now that you are in "hurt" mode you no longer have empathy for anyone else's pain... .your own hurt eclipses everything else.

I am now in a hole with my original hurt caused by you along with the guilt of seeing you hurting now too... .I am alone, I have no one to talk to or reason with... .my only option is to forget all about how badly you just hurt me and find a way to make your hurt go away.

I can't keep doing this any longer, it's tearing me apart at the seems
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

isilme

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 11:57:32 AM »

Excerpt
my only option is to forget all about how badly you just hurt me and find a way to make your hurt go away.

I know it can feel this way, but no.  You are allowed to feel hurt.  You are also allowed to refuse to own another person's hurt when you did not actually cause it.  I find I have to put some things into the "BPD basket".  Anything in the BPD basket I work to not allow to hurt me, and also work to not try to fix - it's the BPD talking and walking, not the part of H I can communicate with.  BPD is part of him, but it's not the sum total of him. 

So things in the BPD basket tag along, but I am not responsible for them.  I am responsible for me.  He is ultimately responsible for him.  Knowing he has BPD, I have to learn to not allow things that come out from his emotional instability to hurt me.  He is a wounded animal, a child, an emotionally disabled person.  I cannot expect him to be able to react consistently like a fully-able, emotionally responsible adult.  That would be like expecting a paraplegic to be able to run a marathon.  With time, help, and told, it can happen, but it's not just going to happen because I tried to have a heart to heart.

You can try some things like SET and DEARMAN to attempt to get your feelings across.  But this type of communication requires you to "unlearn" your previous communications.  YOU are the more health-emotionally person.  Or least, better able to control yourself (I think most of us are co-dependent, landing us in the r/s's, so that's not very healthy in itself).  Your SO is not reacting the way you want or need with the current types of communications you are trying.  So it's time to give a new one a try.

I know this hurts.  It's very normal to want to be able to express how their unpredictable and out of kilter emotions and actions are hurtful, confusing, and harmful to us.  But, they are not set up to receive that incoming message, and instead convert it to toxic shame.  Being told they hurt someone, or are at fault for hurting someone, for the chaos in their lives, for anything that has happened, is like giving them arsenic or at the least, food poisoning.  They have no emotional resistance built up to withstand that kind of shame.  A common coping method is to immediately toss it back to you.  "You say I hurt you?  How can you be so mean to me?"  Projection.  Other people may wallow for a bit in shame, reveling in how unworthy they are, being so needing of sympathy you forget THEY hurt YOU and you go comfort them. 

What do you do when your SO does something that hurts you?  Do you have any boundaries in place to protect yourself?  Do you try to leave their presence during a rage?  Do you try to calmly ask they stop doing something, and then leave their presence to protect yourself from it?  We can only change our own behavior and expectations.  The pwBPD often can be dragged along with us as we get healthier ourselves, and learn new coping skills, but we can't "change" them.  We can only show them a new way to interact by example. 

Hisaccount

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 12:12:01 PM »

my only option is to forget all about how badly you just hurt me and find a way to make your hurt go away.

Yep, but your hurt is your responsibility and so is theirs. LOL Not fair is it.

If you can keep perspective on it, they are broken and hurting much worse inside all day long everyday.

You have to find ways to take care of yourself. Grow, learn, become stronger.
Lakebreeze

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 02:32:47 PM »

Dear virtual Friday,
A couple of months ago I could have written your post myself. I felt completely out of control of the constant hurt and pain my husband was "causing" me. I hear you. The heart ache. The loneliness. The sting from all the hurtful comments and rages.
I got help for myself. I talked to a therapist (just me) read lots of books... about BPD, dealing with BPD. I also read books about me ( and probably you) co-dependents and Care taking (Stop Caretaking the BPD and Narcissist- excellent read). Get support here on bpdfamily.
I encourage you to give this a shot. It gave me a new perspective. I feel in control of myself and my emotions. I have choices now. My husband's behavior has not changed at all. But I have completely changed the way I responded to it and the way I let it effect me. Good luck! You are not alone in this journey!
virtualfriday

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 10:24:30 AM »

Thanks for the reply's, I had to step away for a bit.

The day I posted was our 23rd wedding anniversary, we were on vacation in Maui and it was the 3rd night in a row that I felt I was being emotional destroyed and torn apart. I find myself constantly rethinking and analyzing all of our problems in an attempt to find a better solution and that's what I came up with that night.

We have had some ups and downs over the last month but my head is definitely back in the "game" of balancing a path of sustainable happiness for both of us.

We are still attending therapy sessions every 2 weeks, but its a sex therapist. Months ago when we hit rock bottom the problem seemed to be centered around intimacy so I choose a sex therapist. We have attended about 15 sessions so far and I feel the therapist understands my wife's BPD and has helped us. Its funny to me as it has not "clicked" in my wife's head that we are seeing a sex therapist for quite awhile and intimacy is not the focus or really even discussed, its all about basic communication for weeks and weeks. Now that I understand more I think intimacy was just my line in the sand and I had overextended my ability to give and compromise and still be at all happy.

For the last week or so we have been working on Imago Dialogue discussion method, its made me feel incredible as it gives me a way to tell her how I am feeling without her hijacking the conversation with her own pain. Its given me the most hopeful feelings and attitude about the future for along time.
Frankee

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 04:38:18 PM »

I was reading through the replies and heard a lot of what I had been through and still going through.  Then I saw the part about Imago Dialogue.  It is actually something worth looking into.  I don't know how willingly my H will be into this type of thing, but I guess I could at least start employing it on my end.  Setting healthy examples. 

It's good to hear that your last post was saying that you have hopeful feelings and attitude.  It's a very euphoric feeling when you obtain that state of mind.  The therapist is also a great buffer for opening the communication lines.   Even if you feel yourself falling back or where the start post was, remember that you are not grounded in that way of thinking and feeling.  You've already shown yourself you have the strength to get back up and keep trying.  I wish you the best with your therapy and that things keep going on the right path.

“Nothing in the universe can stop you from letting go and starting over.” — Guy Finley.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest